Why is IE so horrible?

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
When i was using WP8.1, ign.com menus (hamburger) werent accessible and certain text couldnt be read (review score as an example). rogers.com menu (hamburger) also did not work. There were a few more sites where the menus didnt work or couldnt display pages properly. No issues on safari or chrome.

Finally someone who responds with web sites.

Currently looking at ign, menu is 'slow' but it is working, I visited main page and the delorean page. As for the scores, I can see them during the list, but when I do go in to read the article I don't see it at the bottom etc. (full site gave me the score though).

Rogers menu is working, though I didn't do an in depth look, went through a few links and menu worked.

I have a few sites that also don't work, but they are very far between and usually the main desktop view works with the ones that have a weird m.site problem.

FYI running 1020 cyan with dev preview enabled.

marbig

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I.E really took a step backwards performance wise on my 920. As long as W10 fixes IE and Music, I'll be more than happy.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Finally someone who responds with web sites.

Currently looking at ign, menu is 'slow' but it is working, I visited main page and the delorean page. As for the scores, I can see them during the list, but when I do go in to read the article I don't see it at the bottom etc. (full site gave me the score though).

Rogers menu is working, though I didn't do an in depth look, went through a few links and menu worked.

I have a few sites that also don't work, but they are very far between and usually the main desktop view works with the ones that have a weird m.site problem.

FYI running 1020 cyan with dev preview enabled.

cool, again these werent working a long time ago but its possible their sites werent updated or IE was fixed. thanks for the update, good to know as an FYI.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
However, IE on desktop works like magic. Left Firefox for IE, and never turned back since then. ��

!!!! I just did this... I was using FF for about 8 years or so and I would have never thought I would change to IE! Ive been using IE now for 5 days and I have to say its much better than FF is atm... Cant wait for Spartan!

Mohammed Ashar

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I am facing similar issues in my Lumia 720. IE does not render some webpages correctly, keeps on flashing, resizing. Its been happening from few weeks and I am unable to read articles published on TechCrunch, TheVerge, etc.
I use IE on my desktop and I am pretty happy to use it. Dunno what is causing this problem in WP8.1 with Denim update.

highgear56

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Glad to see this thread, I was about to make one.

I have a Lumia 530 and 635, and neither of them can load some sites properly (for example, weather.com loads up different and unrefined compared to iPhone 5S and my Moto G LTE).

But one site in particular I found to be a benchmark is an anime streaming website called Anime Haven

Just for example's sake, search in Bing or Google "korra anime haven" and click a link of an episode. Just see if the embedded video actually plays or if IE crashes on you, because it crashes on me with the error "Out of memory at line: 1"

If anyone can load this, for exmaple, on their Lumia and play the video, you need to tell me which Lumia model it is so that I can have a device that I'm confident in browsing with. Because as of now, my Moto G blows the Lumias I have out of the water, Chrome mobile browses just as damn well as Chrome on the PC, not to mention the inertial scrolling and tab management are so well done vs. IE on Windows Phone.

Do you guys think Project Spartan will compete with the likes of Chrome on Android? Just tried the technical preview of it on my Lumia 635 and it still crashed on that anime haven link with the error message "Out of memory at line: 1"

EDIT: Okay, here is something EXTREMELY perplexing. My ancient old Nokia Lumia 710, with Windows 7.5, is able to load that site and play the videos on a separate screen! How is this possible??? It should be inferior in every way to the 635, it has a single core processor with 512 mb of ram, and on old firmware.

Last edited:

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I think this is very much the case of the difference between having a 512mb device and 1Gb device. My older Lumia 820 loads/plays all links you listed pretty well. I just have to wait for the page to load. Other than that, there are no problems. I suppose having more ram should help.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, I think this is very much the case of the difference between having a 512mb device and 1Gb device. My older Lumia 820 loads/plays all links you listed pretty well. I just have to wait for the page to load. Other than that, there are no problems. I suppose having more ram should help.
Yeah, same here. We had a very similar IE bashing topic before in which my phone (also a Lumia 820). Loaded all the noted "poorly rendering" pages perfectly.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1/342273-badly-rendered-websites-=-dealbreaker.html

IE hate's always been a fad. It was at least justifiable back in the days of IE9, but it kinda stuck around without any consideration of how much better things have gotten since then.

Even as a previous Chrome ******, the super slick speed and smoother scrolling of IE11 have brought me back (that and - from a .NET dev's pov, IE is whipping Chrome's booty at HTML5/Canvas).

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Glad to see this thread, I was about to make one.

I have a Lumia 530 and 635, and neither of them can load some sites properly (for example, weather.com loads up different and unrefined compared to iPhone 5S and my Moto G LTE).

But one site in particular I found to be a benchmark is an anime streaming website called Anime Haven

Just for example's sake, search in Bing or Google "korra anime haven" and click a link of an episode. Just see if the embedded video actually plays or if IE crashes on you, because it crashes on me with the error "Out of memory at line: 1"

If anyone can load this, for exmaple, on their Lumia and play the video, you need to tell me which Lumia model it is so that I can have a device that I'm confident in browsing with. Because as of now, my Moto G blows the Lumias I have out of the water, Chrome mobile browses just as damn well as Chrome on the PC, not to mention the inertial scrolling and tab management are so well done vs. IE on Windows Phone.

Do you guys think Project Spartan will compete with the likes of Chrome on Android? Just tried the technical preview of it on my Lumia 635 and it still crashed on that anime haven link with the error message "Out of memory at line: 1"

EDIT: Okay, here is something EXTREMELY perplexing. My ancient old Nokia Lumia 710, with Windows 7.5, is able to load that site and play the videos on a separate screen! How is this possible??? It should be inferior in every way to the 635, it has a single core processor with 512 mb of ram, and on old firmware.

Just did it on my 1520 wiht10tp on it, I can provide screen shot too. I can try it later on a 521 if need be or a 635. I paid 250$ for this 1520. And why weather.com wouldn't an app be better?

MartLea

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
IE on my l620 suffers all of the above issues, on any complex site it just quits. Of course I know this is my/my phone's fault and really WP's IE is faultless & best mobile browser in the multiverse blah blah blah. Just wish there was Chrome for WP though. Also if the L620 should ever get W10/Edge will it be possible to uninstall IE and all the other useless 8.1.1 system apps? I wish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)