Is Windows Insider the only way to break Carrier control???

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I have many times wished I could break the control of Rogers here in Canada of my Nokia Lumia 1020.
My phone was bought outright from Rogers then I paid a fee to a website to SIM unlock so I can use my phone on Wind.

Now when I had a chat with the Young guy at the Wind booth, he said Wind as a company couldn't do anything to replace the Rom as they only ever dealt with the HTC 8S and Huawei W1, and as far as he was aware no updates ever came across the Network for the phones Wind used to support.

The latest Update that filtered through Rogers (Start of April), readded some Rogers crap that I deleted day one of owning the phone.....which included no less then 15 ie book marks to Rogers company BS and news outlets. Yes it gave us Alpha access to Cortana but Rogers has to be the slowest when it comes to release of Updates for Windows Phone.

So I wonder if people like myself ( full owner of the hardware, unlocked sim, no contract), would be able to Feature request an Official Microsoft Unlocked ROM for what ever handset we happen to use.

Or is our only hope Windows Insider TP for 8.1 and soon Windows 10 for Phone?????

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
It might work as the update comes from Microsoft and AFAIK it's not given to the carrier to add bloatware

Most carriers add apps to fiddle with your account, check billing, add things like TV access if they also control a Cable TV provider.
In Rogers case they even add their own custom background color for the tiles......Rogers Red

Well I have no idea if it will help, but I started a Microsoft Windows Phone User voice feature request.......access to a Microsoft Stock Rom for Unlocked Phones......seeing as Microsoft now sells Unlocked Phones in the Store.

If any other Unlocked users want to jump on....please do !!!!!
Help for Unlocked Users to Update via Microsoft not a Carrier

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon