How can I migrate from one memory card to another in a Lumia 535?

scavira

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
I am using a Microsoft Lumia 535 which is running Windows 8.1 denim update.
I started using a 2Gb memory card initially.
It filled up pretty quickly and now I am saving things on the phone's internal memory which is also filling up at a rapid pace.
I need to switch memory cards very soon.
Apart from photos and videos, I have also installed some apps onto this memory card.
Now when I buy a new larger memory card, how can I migrate from old to new without losing any data or having to reinstall apps?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Move the apps from your sd card to the internal memory.
Move everything else from your SD card to your PC.
Insert new memory card in your phone.
Format new memory card in your phone.
Move back the apps from internal memory to your new SD card and the rest from your pc to your new SD card.

If you do not have a PC then you move as much as you can to internal memory then insert your new SD card and move it from internal memory to your new SD card.
Insert you old SD card and move the remaining stuff to internal memory etc etc.

And be sure that your new SD card is big enough otherwise you have to do this in a few month again.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
For photos*, music, videos and other files (except apps), you may simply copy them to your PC then copy them to your new SD Card.

But for apps, this won't be possible. What I did for my L535 was to move all the apps to my phone (was fortunate that all my apps could be moved to my phone given that I didn't have a lot of apps), remove the SD Card, insert the new SD Card and then move the apps to the new SD Card. In case not apps can be moved in one batch, just move what you can in the first batch and then move the rest in a succeeding batch.

*- In my experience, once you've copied photos to a new SD Card, they will initially not be detected nor recognized by your phone. In fact, they would be classified under "Others" in Storage Sense. You need to use the Files app, and just edit the name of each photo folder for them to appear in the Photo Hub. For example, if you've got a folder named "Vacation", rename it to something else (maybe "Vacationx") then rename it back to it's original name "Vacation". Once you open PhotoHub, you should see your photos there... or at least after your Photo Hub has updated its database if you've got a lot of photos.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3