Skype modern slashed, back to desktop apparently....

baandoptager

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Am i the only wondering why skype modern/metro suddenly doesn't work and we now are being forced to go back to desktop?

Better experience they say, well io certainly disagree... Apparently all "modern" style stuff is getting the boot.

Any answers out there?

Is this a temporary thing?

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:

baandoptager

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Didn't see that (thanks) and i don't see why they would even do that. It now takes "forever" and it's not intuitive to align windows (snap to) because skype needs to be fullscreen on desktop before it works proper (and remember to bring out texts before you do) and you have to do start with the window you want next to skype first.

I am really not impressed with MS logic these days.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I can actually understand the motivation behind this move. There is absolutely no point whatsoever in maintaining two different sets of Skype for Windows. Now that Microsoft has started to integrate business features into Skype (bye Lync, hello Skype for business) and with businesses being rather slow adopting new operating systems for obvious reasons the modern UI variant of Skype would've become obsolete and unwanted rather quick. Windows 7 won't run the modern UI version of Skype and most PCs out there are still running Windows 7 and will continue do to so for years to come. As much as I like Windows 10 (something I could never say about Windows 8/8.1) I don't see it taking off just yet.

To be honest I never fully understood why Microsoft even made the Modern UI version of Skype in the first place. Given the circumstances and market share of Windows XP/7 it simply didn't make any sense at all.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Actually it's not. Universal app means one single application running on multple devices with different interface models. Skype was anything but universal since there were two completely separate applications for Windows 8/8.1 that both had to be maintained separately. It's not unthinkable that Microsoft will eventually release Skype as universal app for Windows 10, 8/8.1, 7 as well as Windows Phone. Until then no modern UI version of Skype.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
As much as I like Windows 10 (something I could never say about Windows 8/8.1) I don't see it taking off just yet.

Oh, my! That's like, blasphemy! LOL Haven't you heard? Windows 10 will fix everything. ;)

baandoptager

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft only cares about Desktop. (Since the move to touch didn't work, they're gonna try this, up next: BOTH!)

Microsoft - Where upgrade means downgrade, where desktop means touch and touch, desktop. New Pepsi! :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire