DNS server

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
What I'm after is something like NSLOOKUP. There are quite a few in the store but miss the bit I need.....what DNS server am I using?

I've set up a VPN to use when at work, but I want to use a custom DNS server ( google's actually) rather than the one given me my the network.

Trouble is I can't find what server I'm actually using!

W8.1 GDR1.....

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I've seen DNS info in field medic reports. In my case it's a couple of 10.x address. I'm not sure where you would modify it though.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
No so excellent as it returns the data from the interface rather than the actual value used when connected via a VPN :(

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
The report lists about 30 interfaces and related data, on my phone anyway. If I connect via VPN it lists it as a separate interface and shows its IP address, but it doesn't show DNS info for it. That could be because my VPN doesn't provide a DNS server, or maybe it just skips it regardless.

Even if you find out what your VPN DNS server is, how are you going to change it to Google's? I think they're 8.8.8.8.

Also, if you set up your own VPN then you should be able to configure it to assign you whatever DNS server you want.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I tried on the advanced settings to change the DNS suffix, but then I found that my VPN provider automatically uses their DNS over IPSec as I thought it was just OpenVPN which did it.

I can check on dnsleaktest.com as it shows you the actual servers.

Thanks for the help :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital