Q: WP8.1 SMS text messages export/backup as plain textfile?

RobWuu

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm trying to backup sms text messages from a WP8.1 phone.
But it seems there's not much out there to do this? I feel I'm running in circles on the web :unhappy:

There's a MS backup tool installed on the phone (in settings), and it gives me a .hsh and .msg file. The last one seems to be some kind of xml file, with a ton of 'clutter'.
Apparently Outlook.com is also able to show you your messages (incoming only it seems), but how the heck can I export those into a file?

If anyone knows a proper way to export all your sms text messages into a readable text file in one go that would be great.
Or some way to read the xml? .msg file properly, or have Outlook.com spit out a file with the text messages.

cheers!

rob

RobWuu

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Seriously? nobody knows a solution for this?
iOS and Android have these app in droves, WP8 -again- is missing basic features and apps. Not to mention it's already getting worse now WM10 is pushed :-(

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nope.

If it makes you feel better I had to muck through a backup and jump through some hoops to get a copy of my iOS messages.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
There is an app for Windows 10 desktop OS that might work. It's called "Windows Phone Message Backup" and it will export SMS/MMS to a text file.

The "contacts+messages backup" tool is strictly for phone to phone backup/restore purposes.

I hope that this helps!

RobWuu

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
@xandros9: Thanks, that makes it a bit better I guess ;-)

@GrayW0lf: PC is still on Win7 I'm afraid. I found a free xml viewer, maybe that will help opening the .msg file in a bit more readable format.

cheers!
Rob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3