WP8.1 to Android New User Needs Help, Any Tips?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

WP8.1 to Android New User Needs Help

Hi everyone, first sorry if this has been asked, I just couldn't find the thread.

So I have been a WP user since WP7 came out. First phone was samsung focus, then lumia 920, lumia 1520, lumia 640.
Most of those phones I kept for several years, with the exception being the 640. I love WP operating system. I love the UI. Honestly everything I love. I haven't upgraded to WM10. I wanted the 950xl when it came out but there was no payment plan on AT&T. I got the 640 as a bridge phone. But with no apps on the platform, and literally everyone I know having either android or iOS, I have to stay connected some how.

So this past week I switched to a Galaxy s7 edge. I'm having a tough time. I'm not familiar with the UI. I am getting the hang of it. I miss the live tiles and the widgets just aren't the same. The lockscreen for WP is so much better with easier info to access. The calendar on WP is 10 times better. Idek how to use the calendar on android properly I think. Also, the lack of voice commands is terrible on android.

To top it all off, the battery drains so fast! I can leave it in my pocket all day and it will just die. While my 640 lasts for 3-4 days if I'm not even using it.

Any tips guys? Should I switch back, should I just use a tablet for the apps? Help

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WP8.1 to Android New User Needs Help

If you have space for a tablet in what you usually carry, you can do that. I have noticed with Androids, some phones are better than others when it comes to battery life. There's a feature called Doze that helps you save battery but it works best with the phone not moving. That is probably part of the fault here as well. Google Now gives you voice commands (to an extent).

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: WP8.1 to Android New User Needs Help

Hi everyone, first sorry if this has been asked, I just couldn't find the thread.

So I have been a WP user since WP7 came out. First phone was samsung focus, then lumia 920, lumia 1520, lumia 640.
Most of those phones I kept for several years, with the exception being the 640. I love WP operating system. I love the UI. Honestly everything I love. I haven't upgraded to WM10. I wanted the 950xl when it came out but there was no payment plan on AT&T. I got the 640 as a bridge phone. But with no apps on the platform, and literally everyone I know having either android or iOS, I have to stay connected some how.

So this past week I switched to a Galaxy s7 edge. I'm having a tough time. I'm not familiar with the UI. I am getting the hang of it. I miss the live tiles and the widgets just aren't the same. The lockscreen for WP is so much better with easier info to access. The calendar on WP is 10 times better. Idek how to use the calendar on android properly I think. Also, the lack of voice commands is terrible on android.

To top it all off, the battery drains so fast! I can leave it in my pocket all day and it will just die. While my 640 lasts for 3-4 days if I'm not even using it.

Any tips guys? Should I switch back, should I just use a tablet for the apps? Help

You can always use a different launcher or tool or whatnot.

I would probably use Outlook or another calendar app for Calendar stuff. Or Samsung might have it's own. Try Google's Calendar app if you haven't.

Also that battery life number is likely not normal. I would get in touch with people over at Android Central since they're more familiar with what's available and whatnot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb