USB 2.0 for Windows MR?

derMemory

Feb 14, 2018
Visit site
I have seen that a few Oculus users have been able to use USB 2.0 for their VR systems instead of USB 3.0. I would like to know if the Windows MR systems can do the same since I do not have the correct slot for a PCI-e to USB 3.0 adapter on my system as of now. If not, is there another sort of adapter that I can buy that can be used instead?

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Official requirements show that USB 3.0 is required - USB 2.0 won't work at all. You likely won't get past the setup screen, since it seems to check for the presence of a USB 3.0 controller before letting you in.
USB 2.0 will also not provide enough power for the headset - 500mA vs USB 3.0's 900mA.

How old is your system, if you don't have USB 3.0? You might run into CPU issues if it's that old, although I'm not sure what the exact requirements of MR are. The oldest CPU they say is required is an Intel 4th gen, which would've been among the first to work with a chipset that supported USB 3.0 (3rd gen only had partial support for USB 3.0, but 4th gen had full support IIRC).

If your motherboard did have a USB header, it'd usually be a blue 20-pin rectangular connector - you can get adapters if your case doesn't have the connectors. Sometimes motherboards will have internal USB 3.0 headers, but none on the rear IO, or the reverse.

If you have a spare PCIe slot (the small ones are usually fine), you should be able to get any USB 3.0 PCIe card - that will give you rear ports, and/or internal headers. There's no other way to add USB 3.0, since there are literally no other connectors that connect directly to the system and provide both the speed and power needed.
Pretty much any system should have an open PCIe slot though, usually the only thing connected to them would be a graphics card which only takes a single 8x or 16x slot, and most boards have 1-3 of those, plus another 1-3 4x slots (the small ones).

Either way, you should just run the Mixed Reality Portal app, since it'll check compatibility and tell you what's missing, even without a headset connected. That would be a good starting point.

USB 3.0 isn't too hard to add if you have an open slot, but your main concern would more likely be CPU (and possibly GPU, if your current one doesn't support DX12). I'm not sure if they actually do require newer CPUs, but you should definitely check that first... hopefully not, because that would require a whole new system.

Full MR requirements are here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...-minimum-pc-hardware-compatibility-guidelines

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon