Lumia 920 vs HTC One (optical image stabilization)

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
No doubt my 920 has a great camera, but what does it matter if you can't use it as a phone??

Andy, follow the sticky about flashing your phone back to 1249. I had nothing but trouble with 1308 and I am back to good with 1249.

Back on topic: I absolutely LOVE the camera on this phone. The OIS works better than any other phone on the market. My SGSII had a great camera but this one just puts it to shame. Coupled with with the HAAC mics and this combo is a winner.

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That's been discussed in other threads. Since the 1308 update I have a hard time connecting and making calls, it's a known issue with the 1308 firmware. My point is, most who buy these phones need a functioning phone, more than a camera. I personally would prefer a perfect working, or near perfect phone than any camera at all.

If there are problems with the update (which I agree means a bad QA process) you can just skip it or if it's too late for that you can just flash back the phone to an older build. The restoree feature in the phone is awesome.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The One does bring in more light, but in the end the 920's video is much smoother with what seems to be a higher frame rate. Cameras are all about compromise. When you make one thing better, something else gets worse (for the most part). The 920 has such a wonderful compromise to make it an overall great camera experience!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think Lumia 920 pics are better than HTC One but HTC One videos are better than L920

That may be true for those specific results, but I don't think the statement is generally true.

For example, use the HTC1 to film a moving bicycle at night... all you'll get is an unusable blurry mess, albeit brighter than the L920. In post processing you can at least try to brighten up the video the L920 produced, but you'll never get rid of the HTC1's motion blur.

It really depends...

Midnight City

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't be so bold as to instantly call it "the best" - for example, HTC One captures more light in this video:

Although it still shows that OIS is better on Nokia... Actually, even iPhone 5's video looks more "stable" than HTC's, not sure what's up with that - maybe defective review unit? "Disabled" OIS? I know that iPhone 5 has digital image stabilization, but such things are always worse than a proper OIS :-/ Like I said, I'd rather wait for final unit with final camera firmware.

The HTC One in the video has final software, the one you get when you buy the product, Anandtech said it somewhere in their review.

MFmonster

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
On topic- The HTC One is an interesting device. I am intrigued but the lack of support on some of HTC's devices make me nervous about adding the device to our 'collection'. Nokia does put some love in their devices and love the support. I look forward to Nokia's next device more than any other company.

That's been discussed in other threads. Since the 1308 update I have a hard time connecting and making calls, it's a known issue with the 1308 firmware. My point is, most who buy these phones need a functioning phone, more than a camera. I personally would prefer a perfect working, or near perfect phone than any camera at all.
If there are problems with the update (which I agree means a bad QA process) you can just skip it or if it's too late for that you can just flash back the phone to an older build. The restoree feature in the phone is awesome.
Like the suggestion given why not flash to the prior build. Updates often bring other 'bugs' and every single piece of tech is not flawless. Granted the most important feature in a phone is the phone call. I remember when my wife's prior iphone couldn't make quality calls....the response we all know about was the phone was being held wrong. This did not impact Apple and still devices sold, so to say one Nokia update that can be addressed by the consumer and Nokia should not impact future sales at all. The company is top notch when it comes to service and supporting their devices.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Also, found a fresh image comparison of HTC One and Lumia 920:
Here the HTC seems to produce "natural" color saturation and slightly better overall sharpness :-/

It's funny how people can disagree on what the best picture is. Are people just liking what they already own or intend to buy?

I find that every single HTC1 pic has an orange tint, day and night shots. To my eyes that is entirely unnatural. It's particularly apparent on the dog. The 920 pics are all oversaturated, but I actually like that. The farm field under the big blue sky is an example of that, which I think looks better. The colors pop. Also, pictures are easy to desaturate in post processing if desired... correcting color tones is trickier...

I haven't looked at the pics on a monitor, so I can't judge sharpness.

Anandtech has by far the best HTC1 camera review so far, and they also put the L920 slightly ahead overall. Both cameras have strengths and weaknesses though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit