08-20-2014 09:34 PM
100 1234
tools
    Android is nothing more than a ****. I wonder why you did not consider iPhone. I mean, both WP and iPhone are kind of OS' where privacy is considered. Android gives you a lot and in return fill your device with unwanted threats such as viruses.If app was your preference, iPhone still stands good for you. Here I am talking about quality apps which iPhone has. Android is full of **** apps and have high tendency to corrupt your Phone. Anyways, choice is yours and good luck :-)

P.S: If I would ever have to switch from WP, it would definitely be the iPhone but never a Fandroid Crap!
    08-11-2014 08:36 AM
    I still don't get why people feel the need to make threads like this.
    I know right, email Microsoft, complain on twitter, contact them on Facebook if you have to. Don't post it here. Microsoft read these forums but they might not see this thread specifically.
    08-11-2014 09:36 AM
    It's called conversation. There is probably no more absolute need to produce the thread than there is reason for you to post your comment.

However, some of the points may be helpful in helping people choose their next phone. Some people's opinions are important to other people. I visited this forum before buying the 930, and joined because I want to learn more about WP.
    FinancialP and snowmutt like this.
    08-11-2014 09:59 AM
    I know right, email Microsoft, complain on twitter, contact them on Facebook if you have to. Don't post it here. Microsoft read these forums but they might not see this thread specifically.
    I'm not complaining, just making a few observations as I'm sure was the OP. I've also added my vote to the one thing that does nark me more than anything else, the lack of smart dial. I'm pretty sure as one of the world's leading businesses that Microsoft are already aware of most of the shortcomings of their system compared to some of the features the other operating systems provide. If they're not perhaps they should consider moving on to something they're better at doing.

Nobody asked you to read this thread or comment on it. If it bothers you that much, there is plenty more to read on WP Central.
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    08-11-2014 10:03 AM
    The same reason people make so many Android & iOS hatred thread on WPC.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    08-11-2014 10:10 AM
    I am totally agreed with OP.

Apps are downside of WP.
    But I'll give more time. May be until WP9 or 8.5(until next major version)

If even then WP apps catalog didn't improve, I'll also move to Android or iOS.
    Andrea988 likes this.
    08-11-2014 10:14 AM
    the lack of smart dial.
    Have you tried alternative dialler apps? I did a quick search and "RapDialer" looks pretty good.
    Andrea988 likes this.
    08-11-2014 10:47 AM
    You'd be hard-pressed to find good build quality AND super light weight. Give me superior build quality and a few extra grams of weight... I'm sure my biceps and triceps can handle it.
    FinancialP likes this.
    08-11-2014 11:15 AM
    OK just to make things clear, I'm not posting a hate thread - I think WP will one day become something real big but right now it's just not my cup of tea. Some people pointed out that the weight of the phone along made me leave WP but they missed out all my other points, even just sitting here thinking more and more on what bothered me with the phone:

INTERNET EXPLORER!

- Try going to nutmeg.com and signing in (if you have a nutmeg account) the page won't even load
    - Some web pages look so scrambled it's insane and you can't even use them at all.

For everyone's reference I'll be sticking with the 930 until the announcement of the iPhone 6 next month and will be switching over to iOS.

And finally, I don't understand why everyone's hating on Android, when I was using my Nexus 5 all I had was excellent experiences - a fast and smooth OS, plenty of functioning apps (i'm not taking in consideration the app built by 12 year olds - i'm talking about actual professional apps that have been built by companies). And Skype which is definitely a step up on what Microsoft have delivered for WP.
    Andrea988 likes this.
    08-11-2014 11:26 AM
    Moved to Phone Wars forum, since thread is a comparison between Windows Phone and Android.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    Jazmac and Geddeeee like this.
    08-11-2014 11:56 AM
    Have you tried alternative dialler apps? I did a quick search and "RapDialer" looks pretty good.
    I tried one, but am not too keen on it. I don't like the idea of having to have a separate app for a smart dialler but I guess it's the only option at the moment.

Somebody else on here mentioned RapDialier, I'll take a look.
    08-11-2014 12:07 PM
    You'd be hard-pressed to find good build quality AND super light weight.
    Agreed, but there's room inbetween "heavy" and "super light weight".

I don't think the 930 is too heavy but 15-20g would have made a difference. I'm probably a little daintier than you guys!
    08-11-2014 12:10 PM
    Regarding "WhatsApp" I'm still pretty new to it as I got it on about a month ago, but on my icon I have no trouble sharing photos at all. Done so many times and in fact that's probably the number one thing I use it for is to pass photos around. A very snappy fast app IMO. And best of all its free to use as I have no texting plan. But, I think it works great, no issues there at all. Can't comment on the rest of your complaints, but will say that I also came over from years with android and felt WP is a breath of fresh air. So easy to use, simple and uncluttered.(don't need 7 screens) I don't see how I could ever go back. Your other complaints seem like hardware issues with the 930 itself more than the ecosystem. Although I can't deny the WP store is lacking in some apps. I researched this going in and decided there were some substitutions I could utilize and others I didn't really need all that much.
    At least you gave it a try.
    Ciao
    Mach_E likes this.
    08-11-2014 12:13 PM

And finally, I don't understand why everyone's hating on Android, when I was using my Nexus 5 all I had was excellent experiences - a fast and smooth OS, plenty of functioning apps (i'm not taking in consideration the app built by 12 year olds - i'm talking about actual professional apps that have been built by companies). And Skype which is definitely a step up on what Microsoft have delivered for WP.
    I don't understand why anybody hates anything. If you don't like it don't buy it. Simple.

For what it's worth the main reasons I won't consider iPhone too seriously is screen size - 5.5 inch is what I really wanted, 5 inch as a minimum, 4.5 I could live with for a while as I did with the Moto G price, prior to buying the 930 but 4 inch no way - you'll all understand as you start to age and you have to reach for your glasses every time you pick your phone up.

I think they are way overpriced (sorry, expensive is one thing but even if the new iPhone has a 5 inch screen there's no way it will be worth double what the 930 cost, and it won't be far off)

And their stubborness to provide what many of us want; no USB unless you buy an expensive accessory, no memory card slot (OK so a lot of phones don't have now but on anything less than 32GB it's unforgivable), no flash etc. etc. I often wonder how many more they would have sold if they had included these things. They might have killed Android off before it even got going!
    mary beth hale likes this.
    08-11-2014 12:19 PM

Google is the reason a lot of people don't like Android.

I've recently switched from an Android device & gone with the 930 instead.

Google wanting to constantly know everything you do & where you are is a real annoyance, not to mention the amount of rubbish app's in the Google Play store.

I wanted a new phone & decided why not be different & give Windows phone & Nokia a try, i'm already liking the experience.

As for moaning about feature's / thing's you think are wrong with the Windows phone operating system, try feeding your feelings back to Microsoft, you never know they may listen & change it in a future update.
    Jazmac and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-11-2014 01:44 PM
    Leave! Go. Nobody cares. At the end of the day, the best phone is the one that works for you.
    Follow your road.
    colinkiama likes this.
    08-11-2014 02:06 PM
    Good luck with your future phones, but I just wanted to add that weight isn't bad to everyone. I would've skipped the 930 if it was anywhere near 130-140g range in weight. Even the 160g and something is on the brink of being too light for my taste. It's a big device, it can't be too light or it feels like a toy. Weight is a big factor in all designing in how many people get a quality impression, not just in mobile phones but other things too. That said, there can be too much of it, too. Perhaps my 920 was a bit too heavy for the size of the device, but I never really minded it, but it probably crossed some threshold, like the weight was too apparent, like "wow, this thing is quite heavy", you don't want to emphasize it too much. I think on the 930 it's just spot on. Definitely not too light to feel like a toy, but doesn't make me feel like "wow, this is heavy".
    But Nokia/Microsoft should know they the majority of people like a high quality phone that is thin and light. Not Samsung, because they have bad quality. But the iPhone 5s and HTC one m8 are thin, light, and have treat build quality. We said the same about how we like the weight on the 920, and how it felt well built, but many hated it. I know my mom and dad do. When the 1020 is lighter. And built in Qi for added size and weight is NOT an excuse.
    08-11-2014 02:31 PM
    Leave! Go. Nobody cares. At the end of the day, the best phone is the one that works for you.
    Follow your road.
    I'm not probably going to leave fully. I'll be selling my 930 and buying a cheaper phone like the 920/925 to develop apps for WP8.1. But as a day to day device I can't really use it
    08-11-2014 02:35 PM
    To answer the OP. There is no perfect OS. There are always cons. Windows Phone's con is apps. Try the others and see what you like best. However there was once there was an OS called symbian...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-11-2014 02:35 PM
    I'm not probably going to leave fully. I'll be selling my 930 and buying a cheaper phone like the 920/925 to develop apps for WP8.1. But as a day to day device I can't really use it
    I think I considered leaving once but I had the shakes like an alcoholic on his first day of rehab. I can live within how this OS functions currently and I realized that as long as I wasn't vested in WP, I would never get to satiety. But having been androrian in a former life, I know the meaning of crap apps and android is replete with em. They have a lot of apps which makes that fact 'less visible' pretty much like IOS, but the mainstream apps are just as much garbage as anything else I've ever used. Android is where the term FORCE CLOSE was born.
    08-11-2014 02:51 PM
    I think I considered leaving once but I had the shakes like an alcoholic on his first day of rehab. I can live within how this OS functions currently and I realized that as long as I wasn't vested in WP, I would never get to satiety. But having been androrian in a former life, I know the meaning of crap apps and android is replete with em. They have a lot of apps which makes that fact 'less visible' pretty much like IOS, but the mainstream apps are just as much garbage as anything else I've ever used. Android is where the term FORCE CLOSE was born.
    But android has moved a long way from the force close. I tried out android L - the pre release of the new OS. And it's a huge step forward from anything they've released in the past.
    08-11-2014 03:09 PM
    But Nokia/Microsoft should know they the majority of people like a high quality phone that is thin and light
    Agreed. The thing is, if you have a phone that is not particularly comfortable to hold for long periods, particularly on a long call, and it's heavy too you will soon begin to notice the difference. Unfortunately the 930 fits this scenario.

It doesn't matter to me, I don't make a lot of calls and work from home so I'm not out an awful lot or for long periods of time but I can imagine it making a big difference to somebody who makes a lot of calls. Some people like a heavy phone but I doubt they are in the majority.
    08-11-2014 03:09 PM
    Agreed. The thing is, if you have a phone that is not particularly comfortable to hold for long periods, particularly on a long call, and it's heavy too you will soon begin to notice the difference. Unfortunately the 930 fits this scenario.

It doesn't matter to me, I don't make a lot of calls and work from home so I'm not out an awful lot or for long periods of time but I can imagine it making a big difference to somebody who makes a lot of calls. Some people like a heavy phone but I doubt they are in the majority.

In my case something too thin and light tends to slip out out my hand when I'm typing. No, I don't make many phone calls. The phone is the feature I use least, and I don't even have a landline. I just prefer any method of communication other than voice calls.
    08-11-2014 03:18 PM
    I think it depends on the phone and the owner. My Moto G is quite slim but has a grippy back which is also curved, and the 143g weight is just about right, making it easy to hold for long periods whether calling or typing.

The 930 on the other hand is for me, slightly heavier and more unwieldy than I would like although of course it's a bigger and better phone so I can accept the trade off.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-11-2014 03:24 PM
    I know that feeling. Like something's missing inside you
    Jazmac and carlos12001 like this.
    08-11-2014 03:28 PM
100 1234