Status
Not open for further replies.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I love the OS for the most part, but there is no denying that there are a lot of issues and it is still behind. Hopefully OEMs will start pushing the boundaries. Hopefully MS will allow them to do so.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Just going back to why people can't get on with WP, sometimes It's just the little things. Since buying my 930 a couple of weeks ago I've used the Here Drive+ sat nav app a couple of times and it has been excellent. But WHY, when I fire it up do I get a message saying "You can turn on GPS in the location settings in your phone".

JUST give me a bloody button to turn it on within the app! Android and iOS manage to do it! It's just little annoyances like this that WP seems to be lacking, almost as if it was rushed out and they have forgotten to do a couple of little things like add a "GPS On" button to the app.

The thing I can't get my head around is how can professional programmers forget or overlook something like this? If they want people to take them seriously then silly little mistakes like this need to be wiped out.

Rafael Sol Maker

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Just going back to why people can't get on with WP, sometimes It's just the little things. Since buying my 930 a couple of weeks ago I've used the Here Drive+ sat nav app a couple of times and it has been excellent. But WHY, when I fire it up do I get a message saying "You can turn on GPS in the location settings in your phone".

JUST give me a bloody button to turn it on within the app! Android and iOS manage to do it! It's just little annoyances like this that WP seems to be lacking, almost as if it was rushed out and they have forgotten to do a couple of little things like add a "GPS On" button to the app.

The thing I can't get my head around is how can professional programmers forget or overlook something like this? If they want people to take them seriously then silly little mistakes like this need to be wiped out.
Well, I got your point in the OP. I'ts valid. You're right, the apps still needs to mature a little more first.

Even when the OS is already good, there is need to play catchup in apps. Microsoft got late at the party, after all.

But if the devil is in the details, there are plenty of suggestions to send to Microsoft. I guess they'll really apreciate it and include some in the next GDR.

I really like to use and observe everyday the system growing and improving itself, its the why I like to live in the edge with WP and the Developer Preview program. This sensation is irreplaceable for a programmer tech-enthusiast like me. Differents users got different needs, though.

If you want funcionality and/or prefer something better defined and refined, the iPhone is the better choice out there. Good luck with your choices!

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Well, I got your point in the OP. I'ts valid. You're right, the apps still needs to mature a little more first.

Even when the OS is already good, there is need to play catchup in apps. Microsoft got late at the party, after all.

But if the devil is in the details, there are plenty of suggestions to send to Microsoft. I guess they'll really apreciate it and include some in the next GDR.

I really like to use and observe everyday the system growing and improving itself, its the why I like to live in the edge with WP and the Developer Preview program. This sensation is irreplaceable for a programmer tech-enthusiast like me. Differents users got different needs, though.

If you want funcionality and/or prefer something better defined and refined, the iPhone is the better choice out there. Good luck with your choices!

I'm happy enough with the phone overall (and the iPhone doesn't have a big enough screen and is too overpriced to take my money), but it's just a shame it is let down by things like this that are really not complicated issues to overcome, but basic functionality that should already be part of the OS.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm not a big app user but I'm quite happy with the apps I'm using I have to say. Some are definitely not as developed and don't have the features their Android counterparts have. What they look like is a matter of personal opinion. Most seem to suit the OS.

Here Drive+ sat nav is fantastic. At a meeting place I had to go to yesterday I was given directions to the building entrance "because the sat nav won't take you to the door", but it did, right to the very door. I had to get there via an adjacent road, the building was the other side of a wall but it directed me past the wall and around the block right to the entrance. I expected it to tell me I was there as I drove down the road by the wall.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I traded my 1520 for a Moto X and could not be happier.... Android is just superior to windows phone is so many ways.

Why would you do that? I'm not mad about you leaving the platform, just wondering why you got the Moto X, as the X+1 is coming out in just a few weeks!

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Why would you do that? I'm not mad about you leaving the platform, just wondering why you got the Moto X, as the X+1 is coming out in just a few weeks!

I know, I will get the X+1, but I was just so tired of not having the apps I mostly use (Facebook, Youtube, Google) the way they should run that I just agreed to an 'older' hardware but with the apps fully functional.

I always said it, I really like Windows Phone and I love the Hardware, but until the App gap is closed (quantity and quality) and WP gets respect from Developers, I just see WP as what happened to RIM (Blackberry), they had nice hardware (I actually worked for 4 years for them and got to try every single device they had), but RIM did not have full support from major app developers, it wasn't until they decide to include the Android RunTime but it was to late. I still have a Blackberry Playbook (gift from the company) and still think is a beautiful piece of hardware, but with no apps..

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I know, I will get the X+1, but I was just so tired of not having the apps I mostly use (Facebook, Youtube, Google) the way they should run that I just agreed to an 'older' hardware but with the apps fully functional.

I always said it, I really like Windows Phone and I love the Hardware, but until the App gap is closed (quantity and quality) and WP gets respect from Developers, I just see WP as what happened to RIM (Blackberry), they had nice hardware (I actually worked for 4 years for them and got to try every single device they had), but RIM did not have full support from major app developers, it wasn't until they decide to include the Android RunTime but it was to late. I still have a Blackberry Playbook (gift from the company) and still think is a beautiful piece of hardware, but with no apps..

I still love WP, and I want the HTC W8. The problem is that every damn WP is exclusive to one or two carriers in the US. So I can either keep holding onto my 920 or switch to the Moto X+1. Maybe WP still needs another 5 years to develop...

bmlcpa

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I've had my 930 for a few weeks now. Love the active tiles...don't need to open the commute app, the tile tells me it will take 54 minutes to get home from work...i know where the traffic will be. I have a new hatred for everything Google (Waze app sucks on WP) but all these big companies screw each other over...really stupid in my opinion how they all operate. Really like the wireless battery charging. OneDrive is my favorite thing...thousands of pictures and home videos at my finger tips...no stupid Flickr, Facebook, or Instagram to deal with. Wonder if I'll miss my iPhone in the long-run, but overall pleased with my decision to switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124