Status
Not open for further replies.

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Not every apps are done by Microsoft. But Microsoft probably has a shortcoming reviewing them first but at this point, they just wanted to build the number of apps in store. For apps that don't work as they should, some of them were fixed with the Cyan update like uploading photos using IE browser. But one app stopped working properly because the hardware that I am using with it (Qnap NAS) recently updated their firmware and some functionalities on the app disappeared. So, it's not MS's fault. I already notified Qnap about it and I am just hoping for the best. As for Whatsapp, find another social media app. Whasapp is known for security breaches and issues. Stay away from it.
I initially had the same feeling when I switched from Android to WP. But when I started with Android, there were only 10,000+ apps as compared to 100,000+ apps on iOS at the time. I just hope Microsoft will give more attention to apps development soon and invite more developers.

Cheers!

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Also another thing to add to the list is MKV support. I hate how limited the operating system is that you can't even have decent MKV support. The only app I found to work for me was MoliPlayer Pro and that still requires that you store the MKV file in the Camera Roll as a hack. It should be a simple feature to run any file from any folder.

Edit: Nevermind, it's not the real vlc player it's a companion app.

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
If the os isn't what you need then it's best using something your comfortable with. I briefly switched back to android just before the 930 release in the UK, the Galaxy S5 was a refreshing change for all of a few days while i got used to the os again. Once i had passed the initial app downloading and transferring of data i totally missed WP.

After 3 days the phone started pausing and messages etc would take some time to open, now being used to WP and the smoothness it gives i just felt i'd made the wrong choice so as soon as the 930 was released on O2 i returned the S5 and picked one up. Not looked back since. Given i can use the 930 one handed it just feels right. I kept my 1520 as i used that for gaming and travelling as the screen is just great but the 930 as a daily driver just does everything i need perfectly.

I bought another 1020 just after i picked up the 930 as well mainly for the imaging capabilities which can't be beaten.

Each to there own i would say but the 930 feels like a quality bit of kit in the hand, the fluidness of the os almost feels as quick to use and as good as using ios in some respects which shows the quality built in the os. I just feel Android as a whole is a power hungry system that looks good on top but doesn't deliver underneath. Most of what you want above may be coming later on just depends if you can wait for it the difference being that there are enough voices within the WP community to request it and MS while still a large corporation do listen to what the consumers want, they won't be able to please everyone but it does feel they are more approachable.

I would wait a while if you can, i think once Satya gets past the hurdle of the initial culling of staff and they focus more on what the company has to be able to grow i think we may all be surprised especially the renewed focus on the devices and experience.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Android is nothing more than a ****. I wonder why you did not consider iPhone. I mean, both WP and iPhone are kind of OS' where privacy is considered. Android gives you a lot and in return fill your device with unwanted threats such as viruses.If app was your preference, iPhone still stands good for you. Here I am talking about quality apps which iPhone has. Android is full of **** apps and have high tendency to corrupt your Phone. Anyways, choice is yours and good luck :)

P.S: If I would ever have to switch from WP, it would definitely be the iPhone but never a Fandroid Crap!

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I still don't get why people feel the need to make threads like this.

It's called conversation. There is probably no more absolute need to produce the thread than there is reason for you to post your comment.

However, some of the points may be helpful in helping people choose their next phone. Some people's opinions are important to other people. I visited this forum before buying the 930, and joined because I want to learn more about WP.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I know right, email Microsoft, complain on twitter, contact them on Facebook if you have to. Don't post it here. Microsoft read these forums but they might not see this thread specifically.

I'm not complaining, just making a few observations as I'm sure was the OP. I've also added my vote to the one thing that does nark me more than anything else, the lack of smart dial. I'm pretty sure as one of the world's leading businesses that Microsoft are already aware of most of the shortcomings of their system compared to some of the features the other operating systems provide. If they're not perhaps they should consider moving on to something they're better at doing.

Nobody asked you to read this thread or comment on it. If it bothers you that much, there is plenty more to read on WP Central.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I am totally agreed with OP.

Apps are downside of WP.
But I'll give more time. May be until WP9 or 8.5(until next major version)

If even then WP apps catalog didn't improve, I'll also move to Android or iOS.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You'd be hard-pressed to find good build quality AND super light weight. Give me superior build quality and a few extra grams of weight... I'm sure my biceps and triceps can handle it.

sandeepsb

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
OK just to make things clear, I'm not posting a hate thread - I think WP will one day become something real big but right now it's just not my cup of tea. Some people pointed out that the weight of the phone along made me leave WP but they missed out all my other points, even just sitting here thinking more and more on what bothered me with the phone:

INTERNET EXPLORER!

- Try going to nutmeg.com and signing in (if you have a nutmeg account) the page won't even load
- Some web pages look so scrambled it's insane and you can't even use them at all.

For everyone's reference I'll be sticking with the 930 until the announcement of the iPhone 6 next month and will be switching over to iOS.

And finally, I don't understand why everyone's hating on Android, when I was using my Nexus 5 all I had was excellent experiences - a fast and smooth OS, plenty of functioning apps (i'm not taking in consideration the app built by 12 year olds - i'm talking about actual professional apps that have been built by companies). And Skype which is definitely a step up on what Microsoft have delivered for WP.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Moved to Phone Wars forum, since thread is a comparison between Windows Phone and Android.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried alternative dialler apps? I did a quick search and "RapDialer" looks pretty good.

I tried one, but am not too keen on it. I don't like the idea of having to have a separate app for a smart dialler but I guess it's the only option at the moment.

Somebody else on here mentioned RapDialier, I'll take a look.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
You'd be hard-pressed to find good build quality AND super light weight.

Agreed, but there's room inbetween "heavy" and "super light weight".

I don't think the 930 is too heavy but 15-20g would have made a difference. I'm probably a little daintier than you guys!

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Regarding "WhatsApp" I'm still pretty new to it as I got it on about a month ago, but on my icon I have no trouble sharing photos at all. Done so many times and in fact that's probably the number one thing I use it for is to pass photos around. A very snappy fast app IMO. And best of all its free to use as I have no texting plan. But, I think it works great, no issues there at all. Can't comment on the rest of your complaints, but will say that I also came over from years with android and felt WP is a breath of fresh air. So easy to use, simple and uncluttered.(don't need 7 screens) I don't see how I could ever go back. Your other complaints seem like hardware issues with the 930 itself more than the ecosystem. Although I can't deny the WP store is lacking in some apps. I researched this going in and decided there were some substitutions I could utilize and others I didn't really need all that much.
At least you gave it a try.
Ciao

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
And finally, I don't understand why everyone's hating on Android, when I was using my Nexus 5 all I had was excellent experiences - a fast and smooth OS, plenty of functioning apps (i'm not taking in consideration the app built by 12 year olds - i'm talking about actual professional apps that have been built by companies). And Skype which is definitely a step up on what Microsoft have delivered for WP.

I don't understand why anybody hates anything. If you don't like it don't buy it. Simple.

For what it's worth the main reasons I won't consider iPhone too seriously is screen size - 5.5 inch is what I really wanted, 5 inch as a minimum, 4.5 I could live with for a while as I did with the Moto G price, prior to buying the 930 but 4 inch no way - you'll all understand as you start to age and you have to reach for your glasses every time you pick your phone up.

I think they are way overpriced (sorry, expensive is one thing but even if the new iPhone has a 5 inch screen there's no way it will be worth double what the 930 cost, and it won't be far off)

And their stubborness to provide what many of us want; no USB unless you buy an expensive accessory, no memory card slot (OK so a lot of phones don't have now but on anything less than 32GB it's unforgivable), no flash etc. etc. I often wonder how many more they would have sold if they had included these things. They might have killed Android off before it even got going!

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

Google is the reason a lot of people don't like Android.

I've recently switched from an Android device & gone with the 930 instead.

Google wanting to constantly know everything you do & where you are is a real annoyance, not to mention the amount of rubbish app's in the Google Play store.

I wanted a new phone & decided why not be different & give Windows phone & Nokia a try, i'm already liking the experience.

As for moaning about feature's / thing's you think are wrong with the Windows phone operating system, try feeding your feelings back to Microsoft, you never know they may listen & change it in a future update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes