Doesn't the new iphone 6 (especially the black one) look like a Lumia 925?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulMilbank

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I thought that too. Throw in the back from the HTC One M8 and M7 but flat, the camera position of every iphone and the sides and face of a 925 and you have the new iphone. I am excited Apple has finally thrown its hat into the ring with NFC as opposed to doing its own thing though. This might finally be the push NFC has needed to become a reality everywhere.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I thought that too. Throw in the back from the HTC One M8 and M7 but flat, the camera position of every iphone and the sides and face of a 925 and you have the new iphone. I am excited Apple has finally thrown its hat into the ring with NFC as opposed to doing its own thing though. This might finally be the push NFC has needed to become a reality everywhere.

Except Apple ARE doing their own thing with Apple Pay, this means that retailers have to add a new payment system to existing NFC based ones just for Apple. We all know what Apple are like with patents as well, which means that IF Apple Pay becomes the dominant NFC payment method then no one else can use it.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
With Apple it's all about being proprietary. They have to do their own thing. So of course they'd release recycled designs with the arrogance of a company who knows they could put an Apple logo on the back of a Moto and sell it for $500.
Of course they'd come out with NFC and make it their own, they can't share, that'd be wrong!
Apple Watch is going to sell like crazy, even though it's released far after any of the competition. I wonder why?
Apple. No one can deny they make good products, but this arrogant way of thinking and extremely strict iOS ruins it for me. If I bought Apple EVERY device would have to be Apple.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, everybody loves apple & its products. Even I love iOS, apple devices, but the fact still remains that iOS is a very stubborn OS. According to me iPhone 6/6+ is a total disappointment. It still has that 1gb ram & 8mp camera. I know camera is good, but they could've at least given 12mp to both with 2 Gb ram. The price of iPhone 6/6+ will also be sky rocketing, which would push the prices of the smartphones even further. Also apple watch is priced at $349 which is too costly. You don't have 32gb versions of iPhone 6/6+... Its really a big embarrassment

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Except Apple ARE doing their own thing with Apple Pay, this means that retailers have to add a new payment system to existing NFC based ones just for Apple. We all know what Apple are like with patents as well, which means that IF Apple Pay becomes the dominant NFC payment method then no one else can use it.

Which means Apple Pay won't become the dominant method because we're not all going to pay double the money for an inferior phone just so we can use NFC. Apart from that it's useless at the moment outside the US anyway.

One of my cards has contactless payment and I've never used it. I heard that McDonalds were considering scrapping it in the UK for the same reason. My husband was speaking to an area manager for McDonalds recently and he reckons that upgrading the terminals to accept NFC was the biggest waste of money they ever spent.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, everybody loves apple & its products. Even I love iOS, apple devices, but the fact still remains that iOS is a very stubborn OS. According to me iPhone 6/6+ is a total disappointment. It still has that 1gb ram & 8mp camera. I know camera is good, but they could've at least given 12mp to both with 2 Gb ram. The price of iPhone 6/6+ will also be sky rocketing, which would push the prices of the smartphones even further. Also apple watch is priced at $349 which is too costly. You don't have 32gb versions of iPhone 6/6+... Its really a big embarrassment

Agreed. I'm not sure how long they can continue to get away with this. The only reason Apple market share has increased in recent years is because of it's introduction to new markets. Every new release in recent years gets dubbed the same - Evolution rather than revolution. There is no getting away from the fact that Apple have slipped behind the likes of Sony, Samsung and even Nokia in recent years and this was their chance to catch up. They blew it big time.

• No increase in an already inferior screen resolution
  • Size still below the seemingly favoured 5 inches of a flagship device screen
  • No icrease in camera resolution (just a larger aperture to combat the woeful low light performance of the 5s)
  • Only just added NFC
  • Questionable design - the panels on the back to accommodate the aerials look awful, as does the protruding camera

On that last point, The horizontal lines on the back of the HTC One M8 blend in wonderfully well and the curved back looks a lot better to hold. Nokia do a superb disguise job with the aerial issue on the 925 and 930, although possibly helped by the plastic rear panel. The iPhone 6 looks like two panels stuck on top and bottom as an afterthought.

The one thing I like about the iPhone 6 is it makes my L930 look even classier.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Or we can all go back to paper money if we like ...

Now there's an idea :)

Seriously though, is it any more difficult to pull out a slim plastic card, put it in a slot and punch a couple of buttons? It's not as if these virtual wallets or whatever they are called offer anything radically different.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

Raw specs don't tell the story of a phone, especially the iphone. Like it or not, the phone will feel fast and fluid regardless of the the actual processor/RAM combo. The fact that they finally broke free of the small form factor will help this phone sell like crazy.

That said, I think the watch will be a flop. For an apple release, they left a lot of questions unanswered. The price is too high for the value of it. Not to mention that smartwatches in general are a solution in search of a problem. While it's possible I'll eat my words, I don't see the watch being a big hit for Apple.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I totally see a new Cortana-Siri ad coming up. Maybe something in the lines of "Look who just showed up to the party. Oh and look, she's wearing the same outfit I am."
Or it starts out as Siri talking about how new and styling she is then the 925 slides in from the right side "***** please..."

Bottom line, the iSheep crowd will buy the heck out of it no matter how non-innovative it is.

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I think we should all give Apple credit for listening to user demands a little, at least.

Even though it took them a long time, they finally came out with larger screen sizes, a 1080p device, one with a possible 128 GB of storage.

I don't own an iPhone but I really do think it's a step in the right direction. But those prices... ugh.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. I'm not sure how long they can continue to get away with this. The only reason Apple market share has increased in recent years is because of it's introduction to new markets. Every new release in recent years gets dubbed the same - Evolution rather than revolution. There is no getting away from the fact that Apple have slipped behind the likes of Sony, Samsung and even Nokia in recent years and this was their chance to catch up. They blew it big time.

• No increase in an already inferior screen resolution
  • Size still below the seemingly favoured 5 inches of a flagship device screen
  • No icrease in camera resolution (just a larger aperture to combat the woeful low light performance of the 5s)
  • Only just added NFC
  • Questionable design - the panels on the back to accommodate the aerials look awful, as does the protruding camera

On that last point, The horizontal lines on the back of the HTC One M8 blend in wonderfully well and the curved back looks a lot better to hold. Nokia do a superb disguise job with the aerial issue on the 925 and 930, although possibly helped by the plastic rear panel. The iPhone 6 looks like two panels stuck on top and bottom as an afterthought.

The one thing I like about the iPhone 6 is it makes my L930 look even classier.
You clearly dislike the iPhone. But we're on a Windows Phone site so what to expect?

I would like to discuss. Because you ask how long Apple can get away with this, but they've done this since the original iPhone. So I guess Apple can get away with it because they just can. It's Apple, nuff said. It's a brand other companies would love to be with a very loyal user base. And I mean especially the Mac users. All those post-iPhone people are new to Apple and will switch.
Apple hasn't slipped, I think they are still number one but you got to keep in mind that Apple now only makes 2 phones. How many does Samsung make? And Nokia! We've got the 1320, 1520, 930, 1020, 3310 and so on. It's impossible to compare those two at the moment.

Your list:
* Screen resolution. Do you really need full HD?
* Size will be dubbed about. Is the 6 inch Lumia 1320 and 1520 ideal? Some say yes, some won't.
* Resoltion + MP isn't the key for photos. Ask a photographer.
* Only added NFC for hardware, but hugely enhanced the usability
* The design at the back is not my taste either, the front is cool enough.

P.S. I like the iPad look of the home-screen with the apps a little wider on the grid.

Now there's an idea :)

Seriously though, is it any more difficult to pull out a slim plastic card, put it in a slot and punch a couple of buttons? It's not as if these virtual wallets or whatever they are called offer anything radically different.

That's when you use the PIN cards. However in the states it's pretty normal to walk around with your credit card. And I'd be happy enough to keep your card with me and carry it for you. Because all I need to use your bank account is your card. That's why Apple, and others too, want to make a change.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I totally see a new Cortana-Siri ad coming up. Maybe something in the lines of "Look who just showed up to the party. Oh and look, she's wearing the same outfit I am."
Or it starts out as Siri talking about how new and styling she is then the 925 slides in from the right side "***** please..."

Bottom line, the iSheep crowd will buy the heck out of it no matter how non-innovative it is.

Your comment is exactly the same as the iSheep (god, I love this one!) on other websites about Microsoft. So what does that make you; Blue-screen-lovers?

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Im missing soo many apps that both Android and Apple have that don't exist on WP. Comparing devices on looks is silly, they all look similar due to ergonomic restrictions, any how the corners on iPhone look much more rounded to me.

Apple have lost their way though, from the device launch its clear there is little innovation left (ugly phone and watch) - they really need someone to fill Steve Jobs shoes, hard to do but they need a personality. We now have a great flag bearer in Satya Nadella and WP will only get stronger, just hurry the up already!

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't buy the idea that Apple Pay will make NFC payments ubiquitous in America. I'n not holding my breath as to Kroger and Trader Joes upgrading to NFC POS systems. Yes some upscale retail and restaurants will have this, but for 90% of America it's not coming for another 5-7 years.

godse573

May 9, 2014
Visit site
What's so extremely unfortunate is that Apple and their IPhones are being sold to all their IFans year after year, with nothing really changing. I mean sure, argue all you want about how they added this, or added that, but nothing really drastic changed. It has been the same thing since day one. All of their Iphones over the generations have gone by this motto: "it is faster, lighter, and the battery lasts longer". There is so much hype generated by this that it is insane. IFans are hypnotized, like it or not, but they are. My dad came up to me and said "look what their doing with Ios8". I responded, OneDrive already does that, or sure that's cool, but is it worth it? Remember how badly ios7 made 4s's run? It was awful, and now my dad is probably going to have to deal with that on his 5s. And why no optical image stabilization on their cameras? I was expecting with all the great phones with great cameras i was expecting Apple to raise the bar higher, but they didn't change a thing. Still 8mp. Still no OIS. That just seems like they are slapping WP in the face because of their boasting of high camera specs. SORRY, windows phones just DO take BETTER pictures. There is no way around it.

I just feel like yes, Apple is an amazing, and very influential company in the mobile phone industry, but lately they have lacked so much inspiration. I just don't know. I would say that if they didnt get their act together, they will start feeling the consequences, but what are they? They can just keep using that trademark motto and they will sell IPhones until the day we all die. Its sad, but true. And now looking down, i see that 5 million GMail usernames and passwords were leaked. Android is a no go as well. I'm not a fan boy, but Windows Phone is for me. We may not be leading the pack, but we are setting the bar and being creative when really no one else is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon