03-24-2015 11:29 PM
128 12345 ...
tools
    Huh? The 1020's battery isn't supposed to run down that fast if not used much...
    That was my point. I did use the 1020 until the mid-morning when the Z3 arrived but it really wasn't used much from that point on but by the early evening, battery saving mode was activated. I spent hours playing with the Z3 and it hardly dented the battery.
    12-04-2014 09:19 AM
    The Z3 is battery champ, SONY did their homework, it has smaller battery than its older Z2 and yet outlasts that and that was no slouch either.
    12-04-2014 10:39 AM
    That was my point. I did use the 1020 until the mid-morning when the Z3 arrived but it really wasn't used much from that point on but by the early evening, battery saving mode was activated. I spent hours playing with the Z3 and it hardly dented the battery.
    I think Bahamen is getting at the fact that that is unusual for the 1020. How old is your device? It could just simply be broken.
    12-04-2014 01:01 PM
    As I was reading the OP's post, winamp changed track to "An End Once and For All" by Clint mansell and Sam Hulick... lol talk about coincidence!

Hopefully you don't get the issues sorted with your new phone, at least we would see more pictures like these (link below) :P (I'm kidding ). Hard to imagine your not a pro photographer... seriously, I was able to convince a few people to take the plunge in getting the 1020 using the pictures in this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...ur-1020-a.html. Also one of my former colleague's took the plunge after seeing the 5th and 8th photo in the linked post -
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...tm#post2167677 (took me awhile to find what he was talking about when I asked him what made him take the plunge). Now how am I going to explain.. that the 1020 has been EOL'd.... damn you Microsoft!!!
    Nick_1020 likes this.
    12-04-2014 03:42 PM
    As I was reading the OP's post, winamp changed track to "An End Once and For All" by Clint mansell and Sam Hulick... lol talk about coincidence!

Hopefully you don't get the issues sorted with your new phone, at least we would see more pictures like these (link below) :P (I'm kidding ). Hard to imagine your not a pro photographer... seriously, I was able to convince a few people to take the plunge in getting the 1020 using the pictures in this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...ur-1020-a.html. Also one of my former colleague's took the plunge after seeing the 5th and 8th photo in the linked post -
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...tm#post2167677 (took me awhile to find what he was talking about when I asked him what made him take the plunge). Now how am I going to explain.. that the 1020 has been EOL'd.... damn you Microsoft!!!
    I've got 'So Long, Farewell' from the Sound of Music pumping out of the speakers right now. Spooky or what? ;)

Thanks for the kind comments about my photos and I'm glad they helped someone else go for the 1020. It's a great phone and the OS absolutely deserves to have more support from third parties and services. If that was the case, I'd be sticking with it.

There's plenty more 1020 photos on my Twitter feed so feel free to take a look.

I'm sure things will work out eventually on the Z3. I'm extremely happy with the phone and it's marvellous to have all the apps I need at my fingertips. Granted, it's annoying that the Garmin app doesn't quite work as it should but I'm confident that will be resolved. As for the camera, well it kinda sucks and is filled with quite a few gimmicky type apps that may please some, but they don't make up for the lack of image quality which is, imho, the single most important thing about a photo. Have to say that some of the lenses type apps on the Z3 are impressive though. The Sweep Panorama app is an absolute joy to use compared to the ones on WP and the kids love the AR Effect app.
    TechFreak1 and N_LaRUE like this.
    12-04-2014 05:39 PM
    According to dxomark, I have the 4th best camera/smartphone available. 7 places higher than the 1020. I should be over the moon with the camera on this phone.

The reality just makes even more of a mockery of dxomark.

Autofocus is fast and shot to shot times is what most people would expect from a high end smartphone, but beyond that I'm struggling to think of anything that beats the 1020. Some of the lenses apps are good but then again, the 1020 has loads that are first rate.
    12-04-2014 06:00 PM
    I think Bahamen is getting at the fact that that is unusual for the 1020. How old is your device? It could just simply be broken.
    14 months. I don't think it's faulty. It seems to be par for the course that it needs to be charged overnight and sometimes during the day depending on usage. Even though I wasn't using it very much when I was playing with the Z3, wifi was still enabled so there was probably quite a few background tasks running. That said, the Z3 is light years ahead with power management.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    12-04-2014 06:03 PM
    I've got 'So Long, Farewell' from the Sound of Music pumping out of the speakers right now. Spooky or what? ;)

Thanks for the kind comments about my photos and I'm glad they helped someone else go for the 1020. It's a great phone and the OS absolutely deserves to have more support from third parties and services. If that was the case, I'd be sticking with it.

There's plenty more 1020 photos on my Twitter feed so feel free to take a look.

I'm sure things will work out eventually on the Z3. I'm extremely happy with the phone and it's marvellous to have all the apps I need at my fingertips. Granted, it's annoying that the Garmin app doesn't quite work as it should but I'm confident that will be resolved. As for the camera, well it kinda sucks and is filled with quite a few gimmicky type apps that may please some, but they don't make up for the lack of image quality which is, imho, the single most important thing about a photo. Have to say that some of the lenses type apps on the Z3 are impressive though. The Sweep Panorama app is an absolute joy to use compared to the ones on WP and the kids love the AR Effect app.
    Haha, that is pretty spooky and your welcome mate.

Until MS get their finger out and push the rtm button on W10, I don't think there will be any movement to take note of until then. I would have checked the twitter feed out if I did have twitter, however if by any chance I do sign upto twitter - will check it :).

Good to here your happy with your new phone and cheers for the pointers in regards to the Z3, will look at those on a friend's Z3 compact over the weekend (though I think he was going to trade it in for the 6+) . I don't think any point n' shoot will compare to the 1020 (yet), who knows what will happen next year.
    12-04-2014 06:06 PM
    Photo comparison time...

Not the greatest examples but two photos taken in the same conditions. The difference in colour is stark to say the least:
    dsc_0004.jpgwp_20141204_14_06_50_pro.jpg
    TechFreak1 likes this.
    12-04-2014 06:46 PM
    Haha, that is pretty spooky and your welcome mate.

Until MS get their finger out and push the rtm button on W10, I don't think there will be any movement to take note of until then. I would have checked the twitter feed out if I did have twitter, however if by any chance I do sign upto twitter - will check it :).

Good to here your happy with your new phone and cheers for the pointers in regards to the Z3, will look at those on a friend's Z3 compact over the weekend (though I think he was going to trade it in for the 6+) . I don't think any point n' shoot will compare to the 1020 (yet), who knows what will happen next year.
    I'm pretty new to Twitter myself and I'm happy to admit that I don't use Facebook or any other social media sites. I decided to get Twitter in order to share my 1020 photos. By the way, you can still view my photos without registering an account.

Also, by the way...I wasn't listening to The Sound of Music :)

I hope MS will eventually get there. 3 (or more) rival platforms equals a healthy competition where the end user wins imo. As it stands, we have an open Android leading the way with iOS which is fairly locked down and restrictive then WP which is treated like a red headed step child. Poor analogy I know but you can't say ginger these days ;) Choice for users is a bit limited even though there are an endless stream of Android phones and regular-ish iPhone reincarnations, I think people should have more choice and it would be great if app choices on those platforms were on a level playing field.
    TechFreak1 likes this.
    12-04-2014 06:54 PM
    Z3 is on 47% battery remaining and the 1020 has long since been plugged in. Absolutely phenomenal stuff considering how much usage the Z3 has had today. I connected it via USB briefly to copy some photos to the computer but otherwise it hasn't been charged.
    12-04-2014 08:50 PM
    Z3 is on 47% battery remaining and the 1020 has long since been plugged in. Absolutely phenomenal stuff considering how much usage the Z3 has had today. I connected it via USB briefly to copy some photos to the computer but otherwise it hasn't been charged.
    Get the magnetic charging cable to save the flaps.
    Nick_1020 likes this.
    12-04-2014 10:07 PM
    Photo comparison time...

Not the greatest examples but two photos taken in the same conditions. The difference in colour is stark to say the least:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	449.0 KB 
ID:	89965Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20141204_14_06_50_Pro.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	89966
    The Z3 smudged the leaves.
    12-04-2014 10:09 PM
    Get the magnetic charging cable to save the flaps.
    The magnetic charger I picked up doesn't work that great so be wary which one you get.
    12-05-2014 03:11 AM
    Photo comparison time...

That is a bit strange. Is your lens smudged by chance?

Here's a sample from mine. I have more but this one shows what kind of clarity I get. I've had to shrink the file a touch to get it to upload.

dsc_0085.jpg
    Arup Roy Chowdhury likes this.
    12-05-2014 03:13 AM
    Photo comparison time...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	449.0 KB 
ID:	89965Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20141204_14_06_50_Pro.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	89966
    ooh, 1020 really shines here. it clearly shows the veins and creases whereas z3 seems to blur it out.
    Nick_1020 likes this.
    12-05-2014 04:29 AM
    The Z3 camera is superb when done right but in this case the lens could be smudged or this is a case of over saturation.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    12-05-2014 06:06 AM
    I've the z3 compact and it's the same camera. Honestly I think Manual settings are ok but no shutter speed control, and very noisy. Superior auto is also awful. I'd stay away from the xperias. I'd rather get a note 4. Heard pretty good things about it from smartcam club.
    Nick_1020 likes this.
    12-05-2014 06:13 AM
    I don't think I'll ever understand the over emphasis we have on point and shoot cameras these days. If I wanted to take professional photographs I'd get a camera to do that. I don't expect a point and shoot to take phenomenal photos and have all the manual settings of a DSLR. All I ask for is a photo that's good enough.

Saying that, I'm guessing Sony will update their camera software and probably fix some of the issues anyway. I don't really need shutter speed control, I have a DSLR for that.
    Arup Roy Chowdhury likes this.
    12-05-2014 06:28 AM
    Note 4 uses 16MP SONY sensor and the Z3 has a far superior sensor and with right settings I have managed brilliant noiseless pictures close to my Lumia 1020 and only in critical resolution the 1020 edged ahead.
    12-05-2014 09:48 AM
    Note 4 uses 16MP SONY sensor and the Z3 has a far superior sensor and with right settings I have managed brilliant noiseless pictures close to my Lumia 1020 and only in critical resolution the 1020 edged ahead.
    I'm not entirely sure what's going on with people's camera issues with the Z3. I think it takes better pictures than my L920 by a landslide. I'm still sorting out the best settings for myself but I'm liking the results so far.
    12-05-2014 10:13 AM
    I know how the OP feels. I'm am so in love with my L1020. Just last week, I broke one of the metal contact points on the wireless charging cover. NO ONE has them in stock and the Microsoft Stores in my area wanted to give me the Camera case accessory, but as much as I would love to own that, it doesn't replace my wireless charging.

I don't miss any apps. I'm not having performance issues. BUT.....I do want another flagship with a camera equal to or better than this one. I'm a closet photog, but the camera is what brought me to the phone, and what will cause me to hold on to it. 900-->920-->1020. It has to get better hardware wise. It just has to. I can't go back to Android. iOS is NEVER an option.

Sorry for the rant. I just feel your pain. Best of luck to you.
    Nick_1020 likes this.
    12-05-2014 02:12 PM
    You guys just need to be a little patient. In a few months we'll see the next flagships and life will go on. In the meantime enjoy your current phones :)
    12-05-2014 02:55 PM
    There are many phones and cameras, and there are even more user tastes and preferences. I have a 10-foot pole for anything android, but the z3 is one of the nicer devices out there: learn it and enjoy it.
    12-05-2014 05:50 PM
    You guys just need to be a little patient. In a few months we'll see the next flagships and life will go on. In the meantime enjoy your current phones :)
    I had plenty of patience until my phone got to the point that it could barely hold a charge. Without, for me, a decent upgrade I had no choice.

I have to admit to being tired of being patient...
    12-05-2014 05:55 PM
128 12345 ...