W10M dead, Android next for Microsoft?

maddogmoffit

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
A bit provoking subject but bare with my musings.

When Windows Phone 7 was presented it was as something clearly differentiated from Apple's iOS and the Google's Android. WP7 was hub centric where MS supported a lot of services directly from the OS while the other twos was app centric where the OS enabled apps and app coders to do all but didn't provide much self. In that sense Android is mostly a close of iOS, more configurable and freer to tinker with but based on same app centric thought where Apple and Google deliver a platform and the app makers does the rest. In WP7 Microsoft tried to integrate as much functionality as possible in the hubs making for a very smooth and integrated experience.
Every step after that have been a step away from the integration and hub think in WP7 to being more of a clone of Apple's app centric world. The thought is to have the app developer to provide services instead of the OS developer. The big issue is that there are already to successful OS in that corner and going up against them have so far failed. Maybe W10M will succeed, maybe not but if not then ....

Enter the Android clone. Having the Modern UI and Microsoft full suite of supporting services. Will it feel that much different from todays WP8.1? It will be different but most of Microsoft main issues with producing phones will go away: The app gap and the issues with getting premium phone makers. If Microsoft is able to team up one of the bigger players and building there own ecosystem with there own appshop and no Google bindings.
So what of Androids supposed legginess? I guess it's easier to build that away with better hardware and fix the app gap and MS inability to get there phones out in the market. So the question everyone must ask of oneself is what in WP is it that I like? If it is along: I love Microsoft and hate Google then this want be the way forward. If the answer is more in line with: I love Microsoft services and design, then it could be a possible future.

My guess is that this is the actual plan B that may come in the end of 2016/ beginning of 2017 if the 950/950 XL and W10M fails.

maddogmoffit

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
It hasn't been released yet.

Not really sure what you are replying on as that is stated in the post. Maybe I was a bit unclear (English is not my first language), the post was mostly a speculation around the topic if there is that big loss if W10M fails and Microsoft goes on to have an Android dist. The speculation is based on how Microsoft have moved from the hub centric approach in WP7 to having basically the same app centric approach as Apple and Google have with the coming W10M.

Your one sentence adds not much to that, especially as the same is already stated in my post.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
This has been discussed many times. Yes windows now resembles android on the hamburger menus side.
Then you have a different OS, with less security issues, with more optimization for low end hardware and with battery efficiency. With a completely different look and feel on start menu and app list. An OS that will supposedly continue evolving with continuous updates (as opposed to android maybe-once-in-a-phone-life-OS-update).

Going from hubs to hamburgers is the only difference, I don't like it but if it helps with the app gap, it is welcome.

So in the end, yeah if w10m fails (i.e. it will be at 3% in 3 years from now) we will be ok with and android+MSservicesAndProducts as consumers. Till the time comes let's enjoy windows.

Rakeeshj

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I think Leo Laporte, Mary Jo Foley, and Paul Thurott best summed it up:

youtu.be/iyn_JRlu8jc?t=1h18m35s

(Lasts about a minute.)

the1

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
If W10M fails, I'll probably go Ubuntu, Sailfish, or flip phone with tethering capabilities. I've never like iOS (tried it on 2 occations), left Android after 7 years (realease day T-Mobile G1), and Blackberry sold their soul so I want nothing to do with them, so where else do you go when you are black sheep in a field of white fleece..

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
An OS that will supposedly continue evolving with continuous updates (as opposed to android maybe-once-in-a-phone-life-OS-update).

In the past 1.5 years, Android has gone from KitKat, to Lollipop, to Marshmallow. That's three major OS updates.

Meanwhile, WP8 has gone from 8 to 8.1? Still waiting on W10M...

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
In the past 1.5 years, Android has gone from KitKat, to Lollipop, to Marshmallow. That's three major OS updates.

Meanwhile, WP8 has gone from 8 to 8.1? Still waiting on W10M...

Never said the OS did not receive updates, I said phones.

And actually for the average user those updates were as significant as the 8.0 8.1 8.1GDR1 and not so major (the one with the material design if that is how they called it was the most noticeable but bugged one).

And again that was not my point. I don't know if that changed in the last two years (since I switched to WP) but as far as I remember android phones very hardly received updates, you had to change phone.

W10M looks like will get continuous updates (i.e. like desktop version, 1-2 update(s) every month) bypassing carriers with the insider program.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Every step after that have been a step away from the integration and hub think in WP7 to being more of a clone of Apple's app centric world.

All of your musings fell apart right here. You are making assumptions about Microsoft's direction that show now indication you have kept up with what Microsoft is actually doing other than looking at your phone in it's current state.

Microsoft has stated very plainly that they are not going for the app-centric approach. They wish to make the actual user the center of it all, and not any specific device or app. It's not about apps. It's not about the device. It's about the individual who can use whatever they have at hand to get more done. The long range goal is to walk away from a tablet, laptop, or PC, and be able to finish work on your phone. Or start work on your phone, and finish it on a desktop. Or start work on your phone, then, plug that phone into a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and finish your work.

It's about having a unified OS that gives you the same experience whether you're working on your phone, tablet, PC, Xbox, Surface Hub, or Hololens, or whatever device is invented in the near future. Apps will be designed to work seamlessly across all these devices.

Microsoft isn't trying to compete with Apple/Android, and we don't have to worry about a plan B. We just have to wait for them to get a bit further down the road until they complete the "next big thing" that is supposed to come AFTER the smart phone. As much as many like to think the 950 is it, it isn't. I believe it may come with the Surface Phone, or possibly the Surface Phone 2.

Hmm.... Maybe they should call the tablet "Surface" and the phone "Surphace." Nah. Bad idea. Good thing I don't work for them. ;)

There is no plan B. Microsoft is all-in on the One OS strategy. Mobile is a big part of it, and without Windows 10 Mobile, Microsoft needs to just shut their doors. They aren't going anywhere. They have the money to spend years getting this where it needs to be and by then they will be so far ahead of Apple and Android, it will be ridiculous. You say, "Microsoft has already taken years too long!" I say they've only in very recent years started this One OS reoranization of the company under Nadella, and under his leadership we'll see things happening quite differently over the next few years.

We'll see more about what comes to fruition, but I'll guarantee you won't see the real picture until July 2016 when I believe more will begin to materialize. What do I base that on? Two things. 1. Gut Instinct for this sort of thing and 2. I've paid attention so far to everything that has been happening.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
You can't help but understand how many win phone users feel (negative). I sometimes feel that way myself. But I am in for the long haul. I am covering my bets however. I own a win phone (midrange), a android phone (midrange), a android tablet (highend), two win computers (high,mid). And I plan on keeping my hardware in that configuration so no matter what happens I will be at least in the game. We need at least three OS'S to keep them all honest, he'll I even hope BlackBerry makes it.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft will never release a phone running Android. That'd be like Google creating a Chromebook running Windows. Ain't gonna happen. They'll just assume exit the phone business all together before they do this.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I think people in the US are generally unaware of the success WP has had in select markets outside of the US. If WP is to succeed MS needs to focus on these markets where there is less of an app gap in terms of banking apps at least.

maddogmoffit

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft will never release a phone running Android. That'd be like Google creating a Chromebook running Windows. Ain't gonna happen. They'll just assume exit the phone business all together before they do this.

Microsoft is an corporation not an ******, they will do what keeps the stockholders happy.
If they see that Win10M fails, that neither 950, 950XL or the coming surfacephone can lift the line they will cut thier loses. That means cut the OS and look to the other ecosystems. They will try to integrate as much as possible and in the android case that will most possible be some kind of joint venture leading to a Microsoft fork of android. That will keep Microsoft's ecosystem runing and the stockholders happy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes