Camera app vs Nokia Camera questions.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, I've owned a Lumia 720 then moved to a 920 with the hopes of better pictures, and I have some questions about above mentioned apps.

Does the default camera app uses the optical image stabilization (OIS)?
Does the default camera app in the case of the 1020 shoot two pictures, the 5mp + 36mp? (I'm thinking of upgrading again :p)
Does anyone feel that when fully zooming (before taking a picture) the result is way better on the default camera app than the Nokia Camera?
Can we achieve the result of manual controls available in the Nokia Camera (other than focus and shutter speed) after we shoot with the default app?

Would like it if someone who had some experience could answer these.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Does the default camera app uses the optical image stabilization (OIS)?
- it should yes, this is a hardware thing really.

Does the default camera app in the case of the 1020 shoot two pictures, the 5mp + 36mp? (I'm thinking of upgrading again :p)
- I wouldn't know this one, sorry. On 925 there is only option to change ratio in both stock and Nokia camera apps. (why would you want to shoot with anything less then full resolution anyway)

Does anyone feel that when fully zooming (before taking a picture) the result is way better on the default camera app than the Nokia Camera?
- digital zoom is digital zoom. It's the same if you zoom in after taking a photo and crop. Except for 1020, digital zoom is quite useless (except for minor cropping)

Can we achieve the result of manual controls available in the Nokia Camera (other than focus and shutter speed) after we shoot with the default app?
- You can only achieve so much with post-processing on the computer. Yes, to some degree you can, you can fiddle with white balance and brightness.

Why are you asking these questions? Just use Nokia camera, it's better then built-in one. They should both make the same photo, there is only one physical camera :D
You can manually change ISO, exposure, white balance in stock Camera, you just need to use menus instead of nifty sliders that Nokia camera has.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm asking because,

First, in the Nokia camera app, if you touch to focus, the OIS does a really good job, really really good (that it doesn't do if you don't lock the focus on something). unlike the camera app.

And try the zoom thing your self, I know this might be stupid, but if you zoom then shoot on the camera app, you get better post processing than if you shoot a pic then zoom in! Trust me I've tried this a lot. But I just needed confirmation.

Finally, I really think the default camera takes better photos, in normal situations, default camera does a better job in extremes, like low light or out door.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, I'm asking because,

First, in the Nokia camera app, if you touch to focus, the OIS does a really good job, really really good (that it doesn't do if you don't lock the focus on something). unlike the camera app.

And try the zoom thing your self, I know this might be stupid, but if you zoom then shoot on the camera app, you get better post processing than if you shoot a pic then zoom in! Trust me I've tried this a lot. But I just needed confirmation.

Finally, I really think the default camera takes better photos, in normal situations, default camera does a better job in extremes, like low light or out door.

Hm, I never really performed a full on test. I will one day, out of curiosity. I'm Nokia camera since day one, it came preinstalled as camera pro on the 925.
I'll try to report back.

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
You need to confront the pictures off the device, the gallery does a pretty bad job visualizing the pictures taken... It does some sort of resolution decrese in order to grant smoothness during zoom and pan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05