ATIV's GPS receiver inferior to Lumia?

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Does Lumia and ATIV S has same GPS receiver chip? Reason I am asking is, I find ATIV S's GPS performance far inferior to lowly Lumia 520. This is how I arrive at that conclusion.

I off data and Wifi, location on. Then I tried to get initial satellite lock with both phones. Consistently without fail, standing stationary under open sky, the 520 could achieve lock within 5 seconds and the ATIV S will take about 1 minutes.

When inside concrete building, the 520 could still achieve lock and the ATIV S couldn?t. Again in moving car, the 520 could but not the ATIV S.
Just to make sure, I took off the cover of my ATIV S. So my question is, is ATIV?s GSP chip simply inferior or is there some problem with my particular unit of ATIV?

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
i just repeated your tests and with wifi and data turned off my ativ s locked location in under 5 seconds in my house, outside and in my car. have been using the ativ s for 4 months without location problems. did your problem just start or was it not working properly from the get go?

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
i just repeated your tests and with wifi and data turned off my ativ s locked location in under 5 seconds in my house, outside and in my car. have been using the ativ s for 4 months without location problems. did your problem just start or was it not working properly from the get go?

AFAIK, you should re-do those tests somewhere away from your present location because the phone will still have memory of your last location when you last used the phone.

I only have the phone for a month and wouldn't know when this problem started. Before that, I have always used it with data/wifi.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
AFAIK, you should re-do those tests somewhere away from your present location because the phone will still have memory of your last location when you last used the phone.

I only have the phone for a month and wouldn't know when this problem started. Before that, I have always used it with data/wifi.
tried it again today at new location and my ativ s again locked on in less than 5 seconds. must be your phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes