buying the ativ s?

kenlok

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
hi everyone.
so i have a problem- i really like the ativ s and wp8 but i have some questions b4 i buy it tomorrow
1. is the ativ s is not to old already and it will be a mistake to buy it?
2. will it recieve the 8.1(blue) update?
3. does anyone know if samsung is planning to take out a new device and will it cost the same?caus i am buing thr ativ s for about 200euros
i know im digging alittlebit but i really worry i am doing a mistake if i will buy the ativ s...

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It is old - depends what you call "too old" - there won't be many new hardware this year, so it is still a good phone. It will get 8.1 update.
No one knows if Samsung will make another WP device this year. They aren't the main player in the game. It definitely won't be as cheap as 200 euros. For that price, I think it is a good phone. However, if you have a choice - Lumias are the way forward with all their additional support and software. Lumia 920 and 925 are probably in same price range.

paul606

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Samsung will make a new WP8 device, its called Huron. I think its a very good device, and not old. Depends where you live and for 200 euros brand new, its a steal.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes Samsung bringing new device. Looks to initially be a Verizon exclusive. The Ativ S, for the money spent, is a fantastic phone. Have had it for 8 months and am very happy with it. Samsung has updated its own apps and the gdrs. The Ativ S was poorly marketed so not as well known as the lumias.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Just a heads up...if you get the Ativ S be prepared for a bit of Samsung bashing on the forums. Some people(NOT ALL) who own Nokias, have turned it into a religion rather than a brand preference. IMO

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi kenlok,

The ATIV S is definitely an underrated device. Samsung has done a nice job with support by providing regular updates to its exclusive apps, as well as updates to the OS. They've kept up with all updates to WP8 thus far, and there is no reason as to why it wouldn't get the 8.1 release. If you need some more convincing, I suggest checking out user reviews. Most are pleased with their purchase.

Samsung ATIV S?„? - CONSUMER RATINGS & REVIEWS | SAMSUNG
This is mostly for the Canadian SGH-T899M version, but I think they're still valid.

OrangeBerry02

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi kenlok

So I don't think you have a problem ... not if you buy an Ativ S.

I have had a Nokia Lumia 925 (a supremely ugly phone, but with an excellent little camera) and also an HTC 8X (elegantly designed, but the amount of built-in memory was just too small) and can say without hesitation that the Ativ S is in a superior league. I bought one about four weeks ago ... 48 hours later, realising they would soon be sold out, I bought a second as a spare (a cost of ?179 made it an easy decision) because I work in the building industry and damaging mobile phones is an occupational hazard!

I believe you will be more than happy with an Ativ S. And, hey, it's a "mature phone" not an old one!!

All the best.

luisfarelo

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I've bought the Ativ S 6 months ago for 200 euros and it's the best phone I ever had. Samsung till now has released all the OS updates and updates their apps regularly.
Previously I had the Lumia 520 but battery life was bad and random reboots. This phone hasn't had any problem ever, battery life excellent, and the screen is beautiful.
Go for it.

shaf1que

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I recently bought one and i want to get one for the wife to replace her Galaxy S3. The handset is amazing and as it will get the 8.1 update this handset should last you. I love it.

anon4276835

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Geo L

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I am new here.
I just pick up an Ativ S for €160, I am very impressed with it. I like it very much. The more I use it, the more I become dependent of it.
The main phone is Moto G, but I got this one from O2 clearance with 20% off, initial was €200. It worth every penny.
The best thing is that I can change the battery and add more memory.
I do not really like built in memory and battery phones. I consider them as unsafe devices. I had one phone, the battery was inflated pushing the back door out......
I do not think this will happen with the Ativ S.Windows Phone 8 is not that bad as some reviewers said
Yes, it is underrated phone.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Just a heads up...if you get the Ativ S be prepared for a bit of Samsung bashing on the forums. Some people(NOT ALL) who own Nokias, have turned it into a religion rather than a brand preference. IMO

Exactly, they seem to forget this is WINDOWS PHONE Central not Nokia Central!!?!

However, most of us give as good as we get anyway ;-)

aafa

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
ive had my ATIV S since the beginning. and with WP as the OS, it is just as fast as a took it out of the virgin box. awesome design (ppl will call it boring, nokia fanboys) but it's such a professional simple slate design. love it!

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Ativ S for about 14 months with zero issues. Everything just works the way it's supposed to and has since day one. Battery life is consistently fantastic, the phone is fast, and the screen is beautiful. There is no cause for regret in buying this phone!

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Only had one issue with my ATIV S and that was the well known Black Screen after factory reset issue when I was using the GDR3 preview which needed a reflash by Samsung.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
The ATIV S is a first Gen WP8, and it is old. It will receive the Blue update and Samsung is planning for a WP8.1 device.

My opinion get the Samsung. I still use my ATIV S and 8X daily, but my 925 and 920 (similar range) has been put aside or given away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes