New and Improved Update Guide for Upgrading the Samsung ATIV SE to Win 10?

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: New and Improved Update Guide for Upgrading the Samsung ATIV SE to Win 10

I am having the same problem as @Dieselrod1 was having. I also applied the parameters that worked for him, with no success. I?m not sure if he has this problem as well but Insider says there are no builds for my device hence in the step where you have to check the radio button ,there is no radio available to me. I will continue to try different registry parameters since I'm not on Verizon. In fact I have no SIM inserted and trying to do it all over WiFi.

EDIT: Upgrade Advisor says the phone is eligible for W10M, but the download should be done through Phone Update which continues to give me nothing.

Use Insider

hey i am getting error while deploy samWPSystem.xap using Windowsphone Application Deployment 8.1

View attachment 130190

attached image for error. plz suggest tried rebooting computer as well as Samsng Ativ Se.

It says it can't find the file because it's in your Temp folder. Looks like you're trying to run/deploy from the zip. Extract properly into a folder on your desktop or other User folder (downloads, documents, etc) and try again

danslb

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site

Use Insider

Insider is reporting there are no builds for me. Either I?m not registered (I am) or the the phone does not met sys reqs (we know it does). Any other suggestions?

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site

Insider is reporting there are no builds for me. Either I?m not registered (I am) or the the phone does not met sys reqs (we know it does). Any other suggestions?

What values are you using? Try setting it to Release Preview, restarting the phone, and then waiting overnight.

danslb

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site

What values are you using? Try setting it to Release Preview, restarting the phone, and then waiting overnight.

The values:
PoneManufacturer: NOKIA
PhoneModelName: Lumia 929
PhoneManufacturerModelName: RM-927_nam_vzw_100
PhoneHardwareVariant: RM-927

In his tutorial RW says "(Should be 8.10.14219.341 NOTE: This update will happen after following the steps outlined in this thread)" - This never happens for me and I stay on 14203.306:
wp_ss_20160906_0002.jpg

On Insider, I am never given the chance to choose a ring. Insider determines that there is something preventing the device from being on any of the rings and before given the choice, pops this screen:
wp_ss_20160906_0001.jpg

Im thinking of flashing and starting over

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site

The values:
PoneManufacturer: NOKIA
PhoneModelName: Lumia 929
PhoneManufacturerModelName: RM-927_nam_vzw_100
PhoneHardwareVariant: RM-927

In his tutorial RW says "(Should be 8.10.14219.341 NOTE: This update will happen after following the steps outlined in this thread)" - This never happens for me and I stay on 14203.306:
View attachment 130207

On Insider, I am never given the chance to choose a ring. Insider determines that there is something preventing the device from being on any of the rings and before given the choice, pops this screen:
View attachment 130208

Im thinking of flashing and starting over

Try setting PhoneManufacturerModelName to RM-927, restarting, and trying insider again. If that doesn't work, you may have to try again from the beginning.

danslb

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site

Try setting PhoneManufacturerModelName to RM-927, restarting, and trying insider again. If that doesn't work, you may have to try again from the beginning.

Yeah I?ve tried doing different combinations and restarting etc. to no avail. I flashed to 8.0 and restarted the process from scratch -> it worked this time as expected and now installing W10M for the 1st time.
The problem was on step 17 where insider was not giving me the option to join any ring as seen in the screenshot. That caused me not to be able to get to 8.10.14219.341

danslb

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site

It worked! Thanks for the tutorial and the support! No I'm eager to get on RS :)

mobilenme

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site

Use Insider

It says it can't find the file because it's in your Temp folder. Looks like you're trying to run/deploy from the zip. Extract properly into a folder on your desktop or other User folder (downloads, documents, etc) and try again

I downloaded the file on desktop n unzipped it... You can see the path in the pic i attached.. not sure whybi am getting that error.

mobilenme

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site

Hey, i used the deploy tool mentioned in the links. It worked.. i m updatimg 10.0.14393.105. i will update my observations after using same for couple of days.
Thanks everyone for support.
Kudos.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
With the solution that I'm preparing, when you do a hard reset your phone will still be interop and cap unlocked, and already configured to continue getting updates for the Icon. The new Interop Tools pre-release from this morning integrates a way to use the NDTK library/service on non-Lumia phones, so long as they are interop and cap unlocked. This means that Samsung-specific hacks are unnecessary for most purposes once you're on Win 10. This also SIGNIFICANTLY reduces the length of my upcoming tutorial. In my tutorial I will also include steps for people who have already done rmabwing5's tutorial. If you are getting the phone soon and want Windows 10, there's no reason to hold off on doing rmabwing5's tutorial; it's very well done and is a great precursor to my upcoming tutorial.

If your contacts, texts, etc are synced with your Microsoft account, you'll get them back on a hard reset as long as you sign back in with that account, even if you don't restore. You can restore a 8.1 backup on 10, but you can't restore a 10 backup on 8.1. In my opinion, your best bet is starting fresh on Windows 10 (you'll still get contacts/texts if synced with MS account), at least for the sake of performance.

That's up to you. IF Windows 10 has instructions that are specific to Samsung RPC, then having the default settings would be best. Unfortunately I do not know if that is the case or not. If you use the Icon settings, you'll keep getting fast/slow updates, but it's possible that you will continue getting updates with Release Preview even with Ativ SE settings. I have not tested that, so please let us know if you decide to try. If you want to try, keep the stock Ativ SE settings, go to Windows Insider Program in settings, and try changing to Release Preview.

If you need to change DeviceTargetingInfo, just enable developer mode from settings, install Interop Tools, et voila.

Hey Jeemo,

Do you have an ETA on your new more permanent solution? Also, I'm currently on WM10 Threshold OS Build 10.0.10586.494 with Insider Preview and RegEdit program installed.

Do I need to start from scratch to unlock phone to make it look like an Icon so I get all the latest and greatest release updates without issue? Or do you recommend saying on Insider and just changing phone specs in registry to get on the Redstone track?

Any and all info is truly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Hey Jeemo,

Do you have an ETA on your new more permanent solution? Also, I'm currently on WM10 Threshold OS Build 10.0.10586.494 with Insider Preview and RegEdit program installed.

Do I need to start from scratch to unlock phone to make it look like an Icon so I get all the latest and greatest release updates without issue? Or do you recommend saying on Insider and just changing phone specs in registry to get on the Redstone track?

Any and all info is truly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

No ETA yet. Technically I already have a permanent solution completed. I'm just waiting until Interop Tools is in a more final form so I can make the tutorial as short as possible. If enough people are interested, I could write up the current solution this weekend, and just include tutorials from that point in the future. My current solution requires starting from 8.1 at the latest, however, I can adapt it for people already on TH2/RS1 so long as they do a Full FS Unlock. I wanted to wait until the new features (and a very exciting upcoming feature) were in a final form, so I could have 2 simple tutorials; 1 for people starting fresh at stock 8.0, and 1 for people who have already done rmabwing5's tutorial. The less tutorials there are, the less confusing it will be to the uninitiated. If you'd like, I could just send you the necessary steps/files via PM, and it will set you up for the future.

More importantly, with some of the recent changes in Interop Tools, the permanent solution can be applied for anybody that's on RS1 already. If you're already running TH2/RS1, there's not much of a point integrating my permanent solution immediately unless you were already planning on doing a hard reset. The main reason I'm waiting on a future Interop Tools release is because it will make the tutorial significantly shorter and less complicated.

Just to be clear, the only difference between my solution and rmabwing5's current tutorial is that on a hard reset you will already be eligible to receive updates from Insider, and you will be interop/cap unlocked. If you aren't planning on starting fresh, doing a hard reset, or attempting to unlock the bootloader, there isn't much of a reason to switch to my method at this time.

Pieluna Anais

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
If enough people are interested, I could write up the current solution this weekend, and just include tutorials from that point in the future.
If you'd like, I could just send you the necessary steps/files via PM, and it will set you up for the future.

Interesting. I wanna join that beta plan if able.

Anyway it's an astonishing change. Great Job!

danslb

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I did rmabwing5's tutorial. After reaching TH1, I hard reset. Oddly, with registry settings back to Samsung values, I still got the update to TH2, but no further. Installed interop and changed back to Icon settings and then got RS1. No insider activated.
Overall the phone is working well. No crashed or restarts and the battery lasts well over a day. but I have had some problems: Camera does not work well and I cant take pictures. Ativ camera works but yesterday I was experiencing problems where hitting the shutter button will do nothing. Also, I had one instance when the screen would not wake but I I continued to get messages. A soft reset solved that.
I can wait for a new tutorial and think I would like to have the possibility of hard reset.

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I did rmabwing5's tutorial. After reaching TH1, I hard reset. Oddly, with registry settings back to Samsung values, I still got the update to TH2, but no further. Installed interop and changed back to Icon settings and then got RS1. No insider activated.
Overall the phone is working well. No crashed or restarts and the battery lasts well over a day. but I have had some problems: Camera does not work well and I cant take pictures. Ativ camera works but yesterday I was experiencing problems where hitting the shutter button will do nothing. Also, I had one instance when the screen would not wake but I I continued to get messages. A soft reset solved that.
I can wait for a new tutorial and think I would like to have the possibility of hard reset.

The camera will work better with the values for the Ativ SE than for the Icon. My solution will keep the Icon values after a hard reset, but I'm working on a way to have that not effect the camera.

mrspidey

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone. Thanks for the new guide.

I have followed the guide and managed to get all the way searching for update, but I keep getting the following error:

There was a temporary issue with a server or your Internet connection during the update. (801881d0)

I have tried deleting and re-adding my wifi connection but getting nowhere atm. What I have noticed is that if I go into Insider again, I have to re-enroll. I tried using Windows Upgrade Adviser and it says phone not supported. Not sure if that means anything.

Stuck on step 19.

PS> My current registry settings are set to Lumia ICON as per guide, before the change to 929 on step 21

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The camera will work better with the values for the Ativ SE than for the Icon. My solution will keep the Icon values after a hard reset, but I'm working on a way to have that not effect the camera.
I kept the Icon settings and switched to the Fast Ring to get the Anniversary Update. RS1 gave me ridiculous battery drain (100% to 40% in 30 minutes) which is why I went to the Fast Ring. I use the Ativ Camera and it's been flawless the whole time. The Windows Camera app was not too good and the HDR setting reminded me of my Alcatel Fierce XL. I'll be keeping an eye on the battery with AU and report back.

RicaChero

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I am very intrigued with all this thread, and can you please report on how well it works with the mainstream anniversary update? Were you able to install Lumia Access Point? It is what I use to grant Internet and MMS on the Verizon Lumias when I activate them to AT&T, just installing with my GSM SIM inserted after performing a hard reset

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I am very intrigued with all this thread, and can you please report on how well it works with the mainstream anniversary update? Were you able to install Lumia Access Point? It is what I use to grant Internet and MMS on the Verizon Lumias when I activate them to AT&T, just installing with my GSM SIM inserted after performing a hard reset

Anniversary Update works fantastically on the device, perhaps better than the Icon aside from the camera. You don't need Lumia Access Point; that functionality is built into Windows 10. Regarding MMS and tethering with this phone on AT&T, you can absolutely make changes to the registry to allow for what you need, without needing a separate access point. I'm a bit busy at the moment, but tonight or tomorrow I will post the related registry keys and other info. Some of it has been posted in this thread, I believe, but you will need some extra things.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site

I've had no problems with the anniversary update. But I upgraded to RS2, even on my daily driver, because it is very stable on my test phone. As far as tethering on the AT&T network, I can't confirm this, yet. My daily driver has a Tracfone (CDMA - Verizon) SIM card and routes through Verizon's towers; my test phone has a Tracfone (GSM - AT&T) SIM card, which if I get a Tracfone card for it, will route through AT&T's towers. I plan on getting a card eventually for my test phone but it might be a few more weeks before I do so. My point is, even though I have the ability to test the ATIV SE as a GSM phone, I am limited at the moment due to my particular service. This was a lot of rambling to say I can't answer your question, yet. As a side note, the ATIV SE does see my GSM card so I'm assuming it works as a GSM phone as well as a CDMA phone. Also, since it is unlocked, it should work fine on GSM. Have fun with the ATIV SE; they are a great phone. Okay, enough of my babbling.

- RW

mobilenme

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Hey, my phone is working great on windows 10, only issues are random bluetooth n APN, I AM Unable to change apn.
Current apn: vzwinternet
New apn i want to add: WWW (vodafone)
I tried adding new apn but its not taking the changes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes