drachen23

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I just went to an AT&T store in Manhattan and tried to buy a Focus S. I've been under my current contract for just under a year, so I can't upgrade yet. I went in expecting to get it at the full retail price. The clerk would not (or could not) sell me the phone, even at the off-contract price. Is this normal? What's AT&T's usual policy about selling phones off-contract?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I just went to an AT&T store in Manhattan and tried to buy a Focus S. I've been under my current contract for just under a year, so I can't upgrade yet. I went in expecting to get it at the full retail price. The clerk would not (or could not) sell me the phone, even at the off-contract price. Is this normal? What's AT&T's usual policy about selling phones off-contract?

I would guess they make more commission with a new 2 year contract. That's my guess.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
This whole 2-year contract racket has to stop. Seriously it is a total ripoff. I should be able to buy a smartphone and buy prepaid voice minutes and data by the 100GB increment. All prepaid, no caps. Why not?

drachen23

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I would guess they make more commission with a new 2 year contract. That's my guess.

I'm sure that was it. I probably should have asked for the manager and questioned him/her about it. I ended up buying it on the AT&T website. So now that guy gets no commission.

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
You should have picked up the iPhone and then asked the question again to see if the story changes. Then bought the iPhone and returned it an hour later, killed his commission and then asked asked for a manager to get the phone you want. We need to wage war on the biased reps.

Sent from my Venue Pro using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Got my Surround last November for $399 ($499, less $100 loyalty discount) at an AT&T store as I had just renewed my contract the previous August. No problems. My guess is your rep didn't do his job.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

aimfire72

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I tried to buy off-contract yesterday in CA and they also refused to sell it to me! Asked to speak to a manager and he gave me BS about it being "policy" not to sell new phones within 90 days of release. First time I ever heard that and pure BS since I was able to get an Infuse a few months back on Day 1. :/

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I would think they would rather have the phone sale than not. It's not like they're going to make ANY money off of you by denying you. Your contract can't be renewed that early.

I bought mine on launch day with no issue. I had just renewed my contract with the iPhone 4s (which is probably going back). Sounds like a shady store. I would try another. I'm pretty sure you won't get the same response at all of them. I know for a fact that you can order it online from them at full price.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
their website promotes their no commitement price for every phone, i would have raised a stink just to raise one, just based on principle that they should sell it to you since their website says they do.

anon(5324511)

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I got mine off contract too the first day it came out! Odd that some stores say NO while others just don't give a ****! I even told the guy, I came to buy the Focus S and I am not eligible for an upgrade so I will be getting it at full price! LOL!

aimfire72

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Made some calls around today and one of the stores actually got some in stock. I didn't mention until the last minute when the guy was ringing it up that I wanted to buy it off-contract. No problem! So I guess some stores/managers are shadier than others, just try another store if one gives you bs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon