BUSTED!- Tethering Focus AT&T

gdubyacobb

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Got a message from AT&T saying they had detected tethering on my phone. (I never used it for much before, but damit I need those 3 episodes of Breaking Bad). Anyway...
Instead of confessing I played dumb when I called. The at&t person asked me all kinds of questions about possible ways I had tethered. When she asked if I had connected to a tv to watch Netflix I said yes. She well that would do it.
She then said I could just stop doing it or she offered me a tethering package. I asked if my focus supported that. She said yes.
I told her I didn't want to lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan, so I'd think about it but stop watching Netflix in the time being.
Well I thought about and decided that if I could go on the up&up and tether I would.
So I called and they said the focus would tether.
So we changed my plan and then they switched me over to a tech to tell me how to do it.
Tech says "the focus doesn't support tethering".
Now they say they can't switch me back to my old unlimited.
Moral of the story, never give up your old unlimited plan!

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
the focus does support tethering... if you dont have the update yet , there is a work around. if not the update should be coming soon.

NEVER take to heart what a CARRIER rep say to you , tech or customer service 99% of the time they are idiots. they knwo the plans and the system. they dont know the actual phones

even techs simply follow a step by step Trouble shooting that there computer tells them, you can be a completely technology illiterate and still be a tech . LOL

gdubyacobb

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The "video out" alibi just seemed like my best plausible deniability.
The funny thing is the the diagnostic/usb tethering was working for me after mango. But about two weeks ago I had to do a hard reset and its been on and off since then. Mostly off.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Not possible on wp7, since no video out support.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Hmmm,

-you can connect your phone to your TV via WIFI if you have the multy media center on your TV.

- and the new TV have NETFLIX build in , so you can connect your phone to the TV to do Tethering.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm,

-you can connect your phone to your TV via WIFI if you have the multy media center on your TV.

- and the new TV have NETFLIX build in , so you can connect your phone to the TV to do Tethering.
doesn't work with Netflix +allshare on my focus and focus s.

My tv (and I bet everyone else's) doesn't support USB internet access device.

But I dont expect an att rep to know this.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Also, ms does have in their demo devices, video out, for demonstration purposes, but they say it is not working well in many ways, so that's why we don't see it in our devices :(

gdubyacobb

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Isn't there a Bluetooth or WiFi way to share video between a Samsung tv and the Samsung focus?
I remember someone mentioning it in a thread where I asked about an av out cable.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
This all boils down to the "Net Neutrality" issue in the states.

A few home cable providers wanted to charge Netflix for streaming video to peoples homes, or else they threatened to block their IP address.

The FCC said home home cable couldn't do that, but they are allowing wireless carriers to do what they want.

To a wireless carrier, "Net Neutrality" means no government interference.

To the FCC, "Net Neutrality" means if you purchase 5GB of bandwidth, you should be able to use it however you see it.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Isn't there a Bluetooth or WiFi way to share video between a Samsung tv and the Samsung focus?
I remember someone mentioning it in a thread where I asked about an av out cable.

"AllShare," works only on new Samsung WP7 phones. Also only works for content you already have on your phone.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
doesn't work with Netflix +allshare on my focus and focus s.

My tv (and I bet everyone else's) doesn't support USB internet access device.

But I dont expect an att rep to know this.

Netflix + allshare doesn?t work for sure... Allshare just allows you to share Multimedia files. not actual applications ( like a TV output would simply just show you exactly what you see on your phone)

some Tvs do , my buddy has a 3D Samsung Tv (1years+ old ) with internet access on it. that also support tethering.
believe it or not but other technologies are actually playing catch up with WP. lol

WP is set up for the ecosystem to all work together, but almost nothing supports it yet. hahaha

gdubyacobb

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Update:
At&t approved my switch back to the unlimited data plan. Very nice!:)
I guess my renegade tethering days are behind me. I'll play it straight from now on.
On the upside I had been tethering in small doses since I got my first razr back in '05, so really I can't complain.
But if at&t ever turns on WP tethering I'll sign up and pay happily.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Update:
At&t approved my switch back to the unlimited data plan. Very nice!:)
I guess my renegade tethering days are behind me. I'll play it straight from now on.
On the upside I had been tethering in small doses since I got my first razr back in '05, so really I can't complain.
But if at&t ever turns on WP tethering I'll sign up and pay happily.

That's good they switched you back. How much data do you normally use per month?

I have 2GB through AT&T and I normally use up to 750MB a month. I don't have any reason tether. I have internet and wifi at home.

gdubyacobb

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I am usually under 2gb.
It was just the 3 or 4 episodes of Breaking Bad. They pushed me over 5.
But we were traveling and I just had to see em. :|

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Glad you were switched back. Did they mention what would happen if someone continues with their renegade tethering ways?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdubyacobb

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The email I received and the original conversation said, if tethering continued I would automatically be switched to the 4gb tethering plan.
That 45$ a month as opposed to the 30 a month for the old unlimited, so if it had worked I'd have had no issue paying it.

clmbngbkng

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
You were only usb tethering the phone to DL a torrent, right?

On a similar note there SHOULD be no way they can tell if you were doing Netflix through the app on your phone and then HDMI out (if the phone supported it) to the TV. As long as it is the Netflix app then the data should look the same. I want to know how they can claim that is tethering or even find it out.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
You were only usb tethering the phone to DL a torrent, right?

On a similar note there SHOULD be no way they can tell if you were doing Netflix through the app on your phone and then HDMI out (if the phone supported it) to the TV. As long as it is the Netflix app then the data should look the same. I want to know how they can claim that is tethering or even find it out.

Where have you been? Privacy went out the door years ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon