Samsung Focus Rev 1.4 Update Problems

mrcalories

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello - I am just digging into smartphones, and thought I lucked into this free Samsung Focus. I love Windows Mobile, but am having problems updating the phone.

Samsung Focus 1.4
OS Version: 7.0.7403.0
Firmware: 2103.11.4.1

I had to purchase a Rocketfish USB cable that seems to be working - when I plug the phone into the computer it immediately starts Zune and tells me the phone needs to be updated to 7.10. When I start the update everything seems to go fine, and after it finishes the last step gives me an error code - 80004005.

Microsoft's databases don't have any information, and I've gotten a different story from Samsung tech support the last 4 times I've talked to them.

I have tried the following:

Updating on an x64 version of Windows 7
Updating on an x86 version of Windows 7
Resetting the phone to factory

I am also using the latest version of Zune software, and have tried to reflash the phone but that didn't work either. I am supposed to call back Samsung Phone support tomorrow, but if anyone out there can help it would be greatly appreciated.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
The first thing you should do is get an authentic Samsung OEM cable. I've heard of problems like this and the issue was the USB cable. If that doesn't help you could always try to force a manual update.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I would still try an un- and re-installation of Zune with a shutdown of your machine in between. We don't know where in the world you are, Waldo, but then, I would expect the carrier to help me more than Samsung: they're the ones with the intere$t in your revenue-generating-Focus operating properly. We also don't know anything about the history of this free Focus, and it may matter the most. Do you? As for cables, that could be a problem, but I use an old Treo cable for my notebook connection, and that works fine. Do you have another device to test the rocketfish and if the USB port is good? Try connecting the cable only ahead of the Zune re-install, and then connecting the Focus.

Smartphones often require patience and persistence, especially early. Welcome to the Board and good luck getting past this. :)

mrcalories

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys - I have ordered an OEM Samsung replacement cable and should have it in a couple of days - hopefully it will work. I have found a solution for flashing the phone but I am scared to do so - I'll also reinstall Zune when the Sammy cable arrives too. I am honestly surprised how fast official support for the Focus has disappeared. The fine folks at the local AT&T store, in their own, kind way told me there was no help to be had there because it was a dead line of phones, and Samsung's support page doesn't even list the i917 on the AT&T list. The last phone I had was a Samsung Impression, and the Focus is leaps and bounds ahead of that.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
... I am honestly surprised how fast official support for the Focus has disappeared. The fine folks at the local AT&T store, in their own, kind way told me there was no help to be had there because it was a dead line of phones, and Samsung's support page doesn't even list the i917 on the AT&T list. The last phone I had was a Samsung Impression, and the Focus is leaps and bounds ahead of that.

Well, our unofficial support is often superior, if rather asynchronous, etc... ;)

As with all carriers, and most, but not all stores, those fine folks are hired and rewarded for selling services; and except for how much and for how long questions, most usually have to call for answers themselves. In my local store, they're all selling television service.

You don't indicate where in the globe you are, but here's my Focus support link: Support - AT&T Cell Phones SGH-I917 | Samsung Cell Phones -

You can also click on their live chats.
Good luck again.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Didn't Samsung offer some USB drivers available way back when there were problems updating the Focus. Think you can get them on their site. Don't remember which specific errors they addressed, but it might do the trick.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

mrcalories

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Rodolfo and Jimski - I found the Sammy drivers - now I'm just waiting for the official Samsung USB cable before giving updating another shot.

mrcalories

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Well - 5 business days later I tried updating the Focus with a new, official cable from Samsung and I'm still getting the 80004005 error code. It completes all of the 10 steps, and then says it failed. I read that one way to get around this error is to flash the phone, and while I'm scared to try it the poor phone support at Samsung is edging me closer to trying. Anyone out there have to flash the Focus to get it to update properly?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes