Who Is Thinking About Getting Galaxy TabPro S?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I like the look of it but I'm not excited for the inevitable fortune it'll cost (knowing Samsung) and the fact that it's yet another hybrid that maxes out at 4 GB of RAM despite it's premium tag.

It comes bundled with its keyboard though which is nice and it comes with Samsung's Super AMOLED display technology so I expect great performance on that front. I'm iffy on the build quality (if it's all plastic or not) but Samsung has been way better quality-wise lately so it should be okay.

I don't know enough at this point to say more.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I'll keep an eye on how Samsung proceeds with their Windows 10 / Windows 10 Mobile hardware sales/development. The Galaxy line is a solid one and has a justifiable reputation for quality. However, this particular device may very well be seriously overpriced for what it is offering.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The white one looks sexy, but I don't have a need for anything like that. I use my pc or my 950xl. I use my 950xl even moreso than my PC. I think it is a great machine for people who are on the go a lot. It's also got that factor that apple fans look for and that's design. Who knows it could move some apple fans over.

It's interesting after the patent disputes were settled that Samsung is putting in more effort into windows 10. I wonder if we will see more from Samsung. Maybe even a newer chipset that will let them build quite a good phone with continuum. Anything is possible.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
The only thing going for it is the Amoled display and thinness with LTE.

No full usb, no Core processor, no stand = no bueno.

Zan5hin

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
I am very tempted by this. After having my iPad Air for a few years, I ended up picking up a Logitech bluetooth keyboard on sale for $17 and I have to tell you, it has really started affecting the amount of time I sit in front of my PC. I have a gaming laptop that is always humming away and of course a nice mechanical keyboard, G602 mouse with heaps of buttons and dual 21" screens, however just the ease of having a quiet tablet for browsing with no fan noise has made me seriously consider this TabPro S.

For my use case in 2016, which will be door to door sales, the AMOLED 12" display is a great tool that will actually make me money, because hopefully it will work quite well in sunlight, and I was looking for something with a larger screen to sell my new solution, which is panoramic virtual tours, on Google street view for business and other channels.

While this is 12" vs 12.9" for the iPad Pro, it actually seems to make it easier to hold and a nice step up visually from my iPad Air.

4GB of RAM is disappointing, but for what I need it for, I will just have to keep my tab count in chrome from going crazy. I travelled around for a long time with a Macbook Air 2012 with 4GB/128GB so I know what to expect from this device.
I apparently can't post links because I haven't had 10 posts, but
I don't think Core M is slow considering Anandtech has an article on analyzing-intel-core-m-performance and the TabPro S will be the same as the Dell 11 Venue Pro 7000. The closing thoughts show it to be just a tad slower than the fan based Yoga 3 mentioned in the text below.

Once again, in web use, the Core M processor is very similar to the outgoing Haswell U based Yoga 2 Pro. Just to put the numbers in a bit more context, I also ran the benchmarks on my Core i7-860 based Desktop (running Chrome, as were the Yogas) and it is pretty clear just how far we have come. The i7-860 is a four core, eight thread 45 nm processor with a 2.8 GHz base clock and 3.46 GHz boost, all in a 95 watt TDP. It was launched in late 2009. Five years later, we have higher performance in a 4.5 watt TDP for many tasks. It really is staggering.

My biggest issue with the Logitech keyboard on my iPad Air is that there is only one viewing angle on the stand. This TabPro S has two viewing angles, however I hope maybe there will be a better third party aftermarket keyboard, which will have better viewing angles and backlit keys.

I am crossing my fingers that it supports Band 28 / 700mhz when it is released in Australia, and also that there are improvements in running Android apps on top of Windows 10 like AmiDuOS.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The only thing going for it is the Amoled display and thinness with LTE.

No full usb, no Core processor, no stand = no bueno.

Err it has USB type C 3.1, Core M and the stand is built-in to the folio case which looks like to have two angles (which also ships with the device).

Despite it's "short comings" it is decent looking tablet and it has a lot of scope for accessories.

Presuming the keyboard connector supports power and data as well we could very well see keyboards with additional power banks and ports.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Presuming the keyboard connector supports power and data as well we could very well see keyboards with additional power banks and ports.

I think the keyboard is Bluetooth in a flat folio. No ports on it and no true docking... Check the video starting at 1:10.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think it has the ability to stand out more in the consumer space and possibly helping attract potential iPad or Android tablet users. It has that Samsung Galaxy brand name, whereas other Windows tablets may work and look as good, but they tend to be over in the other side of the Best Buy, with all the other Windows laptops.

It's not the kind of Windows device that I'd be in the market for, but I think it's good to see Samsung get into this market with Windows.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
^^^ Wot he said... And if it isn't Surface $$$ they can move some units. I think it has a niche to fill and looks great for those that consume lots of video and still want some desktop stuff along.

Last edited:

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
When Samsung first announced the tabpro I was hyped, it looked great, sadly they didn't announce a release date, so I ended up buying a Surface Pro 3, then shortly returned it because it was stuck on a reboot cycle. So I got the SP4, I saw more blue screens in a month, then a special effects technician.
After returning the SP4 I decided to venture away from Microsoft products (don't even get me started on the 3 Xbox ones I've had this year).

I spent about 3 hours walking around Bestbuy with a gift card loaded with $1077. Checking out apple, chrome books, other 2 in 1. Nothing else seemed to come close to what I was looking for, and the SP3/SP4 kind of spoiled me in a way (when they worked). The Tabpro S looked amazing, and Samsung flow sounded enticing, but honestly not for the price, the keyboard isn't even back-lit, which was a big deal for me when I initially chose the Surface. But it’s not like I could take my $1077 somewhere else. Right? Ended up buying my 4-year-old a kid tablet of her choice, ordered the Tabpro on BestBuy website and I still have $ left over. Maybe in the future Samsung will release other keyboard covers for the Tab HOPEFULLY one with back-lit keys.

ad78

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
i got mine 2 days ago by returning the ipad pro 32gb 9.7

$599 plus if i will buy the smartkeyboard its another $149 then you add the back cover for at least $70 so that total of $819.

i got my TabPro S for $861. amazon recently advertised it for this price and looks like the put back to $899. but still the difference is only $80 and im getting more.

this product is so awesome!

Buji

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Add me to the list of purchasers. My Notepro 12.2 has been going out lately and I use it a lot for work when I travel. I have a trip coming up and can't be in jeopardy of not having a terminal with me, so I've been keeping my eye on the tabpro.
Well, Saturday morning comes around, and my notepro starts it's crashing and rebooting routine (I believe the voltage regulator is insufficient to drive the panel, as I start to get backlighting failures and memory instability as the battery goes down.) and I just happen to look on best buy and see they have an open box return listed for $150 cheaper than new. Kismet I guess, but I would really rather wait for a 8gb RAM model (or more) and I'm not sure how I feel about a windows pc for my second screen. (I'm really into android).

Right now I'm trying everything out to see if it flies, or if I need to come up with a second plan. They really need to release the stylus so I can see if I can truly replace my notepro for light sketch work etc. Photoshop seems to run ok in it, but until I start panning and drawing around I won't know if the cpu will be able to keep up... and then there's the whole 4gm RAM thing :-/

Let me know if anyone would like me to try something out for them to help them decide on purchasing. 24 hours into it and I'm 8/10 going to keep it.

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So samsung finally release the Power /hdm /usb adapter on their website. i been checking back every few days to see.

TabPro S USB, HDMI, and Power Adapter

one problem though NINETY DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LORD. even with a %50 off coupon for activating the tabpro s. thats just way too expensive.

about 2 weeks ago i ordered this from amazon $6
http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Femal...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3476239

its just a USB adapter. But honestly the battery life on the tabpro is so amazing im not too worried about charging+usb connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leliawindler