[Suggestion] News accounts should be subscribed to the threads they join automatically

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I've been through this situation over and over: someone with a new account asks for help, and I replied but they're never notified through email that someone has replied to their thread. I want this setting to be set like this by default, since it's pretty useless when you ask something and someone replied, but you never even realize it.
Screenshot (17).png

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've never been on a forum where this is the default. I think there is a reason email notifications need to be enabled manually. Otherwise it looks to new members as if they get SPAMmed by the board and that could be a turn off.

Enabling this might be going too far. How about if it asked on the first post, "Would you like to subscribe to this thread" and redirected to a tutorial if they click yes?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I think most asked questions getting answered are seen by the askers.
Especially if desperate.

The polite ones return with site registration for more info or to show appreciation.
Others get a solution or find answers elsewhere and disappear.

Last edited:

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I've never been on a forum where this is the default. I think there is a reason email notifications need to be enabled manually. Otherwise it looks to new members as if they get SPAMmed by the board and that could be a turn off.

Enabling this might be going too far. How about if it asked on the first post, "Would you like to subscribe to this thread" and redirected to a tutorial if they click yes?

That's a good idea. Since most are newbies to forums, there should be a tutorial of some sorts.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
We're looking at pulling the FAQ (and other important items) into a more prominent location to make sure members are aware. Thanks for bringing this forward, and for the concern. We hear you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte