New sub forum idea - request an app!

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Alright so as we all know, Windows Phone's Achilles Heel seems to be apps. However instead of just complaining I came up with an idea. We have plenty developers on board here, so why not create a sub forum in the Developers area where we can request apps. Now naturally we'd be leaning towards new app ideas (instead of just third party versions of already existent apps on iPhone/Android like SnapChat). Then if a developer likes the idea and thinks he can do it, then he can get on board and make the app. Perhaps multiple developers could collaborate on apps as well.

The reason being is that we could use these to showcase things that Windows can do that iPhone and Android can't, and give Windows Phone a USP. What do people think of this? I spoke to James about it and he said post it here to field feedback.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
That's a great idea! But in addition to being in the Developer's Corner, perhaps we could have a mechanism that will reach out to developers who are not in Windows Central - developers who didn't make Windows apps in the first place - so they will hear our "voice" and be moved to make an official Windows version for their app.

I've reached out to at least five official app makers, but their response (if they even respond) are the same: they're looking for funding initiatives, or something similar. If they won't, then our developers here may make an unofficial version at least.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
But in addition to being in the Developer's Corner, perhaps we could have a mechanism that will reach out to developers who are not in Windows Central - developers who didn't make Windows apps in the first place - so they will hear our "voice" and be moved to make an official Windows version for their app.

Sounds like a great idea on paper, but when it comes down to it, I'm not sure on the feasibility. Perhaps it could be rolled into an app. But in terms of this website I'm not sure.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I had change.org in mind - it worked in making one of our local banks (in the Philippines) make an app for Windows Phones. Not that I'm saying we should go for change.org since that may bring some conflicts somewhere, but perhaps something similar.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I have seen developers actually make posts asking users to give feedback on what apps they would like to see. Invariably, the topic gets flooded with "SnapChat" and Official This and Official That, etc. The last one I participated in, it seems there were only 2 people posted something that a 3rd party developer can actually do, and I was one of the 2.

While I think it would be a great tool, I'm afraid the barrage of complaints about not being able to do SnapChat or "be the official version" of something or not being able to bring Google Services that Google doesn't want brought, well, it is going to just anger and frustrate the developers that we have.

That being said, since it is a place to "request an app," then some very firm guidelines need to be in place on the requests. If someone suggests something like "Chase App", "SnapChat", "Official YouTube", etc. it should not be allowed. Those posts should be removed to prevent the forum from being overcome with arguments and complaints about the issues with those types of apps.

The rules should only allow users to post requests for apps that are either unique or are legal for a 3rd party to pursue.

There should be a clear distinction that "porting apps that exist on another platform" has no place in that particular forum and that those requests should be made directly to the developer.

Those are my thoughts on the issue. I feel it is actually a great idea, and I have an idea for an app that I would love to see developed. One like it currently does not exist on any of today's existing platforms, but I feel it is sorely needed on all app platforms. I've never stated what it is publicly, and I won't, as if it doesn't exist by the time my youngest starts school, I may come out of retirement to do it myself and charge for the app.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I've got to agree that it will only bring users who want to focus on forcing/petitioning/bribing 1st party support.

Well then we'll make the rules clear that if you post asking for apps like that you'll receive infractions and be banned from posting in that forum for x amount of time (possibly one month). There are ways and means around it but I can see your concerns. We'll see how it pans out I guess.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm no so sure that the developers who frequent the forums here are large or influential enough to make much of an impact in the app store.

What would be really great is for the Windows Central editorial team to reach out to software houses with the aim of discussing the real reasons behind not supporting Windows 10, maybe (as one of the main Windows sites), they can help to sway the tide of apathy.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It sounds good in theory, but I don't think it will work in practice. Most people aren't interested in some obscure app from an indie developer. People want official banking apps, Starbucks, Snapchat, etc. This won't help in the least with those apps and will just cause more bickering.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello, everyone.

Not sure if this will work or if this can/may even be done, but I've read "success" stories of an app being made specifically for Windows Phone for a specific country through change.org. If this sub-forum or App-Requests thread (though the sub-forum may be more flexible, with a new thread for each app) goes live, someone "official" could create entries in change.org addressed to the proper developers (so that only official apps will be requested). That "official" someone could periodically update the thread regarding the status of the request for that app, and in turn that change.org entry would gain more visibility and signatures by being present here in Windows Central.

Could be neat. :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa