Do you use Skype?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
There are many services for messaging and chatting, but which one do you use? Do you use Skype? I use Skype because it connects well with WP, but it does need improvement.

What do you guys use?

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I use Skype, but just for video calls. Never had a need for a messenger service outside of text messaging and everyone I know just uses text messaging.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I use Skype on my desktop and occasionally on my phone. If there was file transfer on the phone app, I may use it more. Otherwise, I use whatsapp most of the time.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have no use for Skype audio or video calls.

I use it a little bit for IM chat. However I prefer WhatsApp, since Skype doesn't permit sharing media like WhatsApp.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Skype, video chatting isn't that popular around I feel, but Skype is pretty much the king for it. I'm sure there are newer and better systems, but no point being there when the people arn't :D Even the oldies know what Skype is, so sticking with that.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I use Skype ALOT on my desktop. On WP - definitely for video messaging and video calling. I love now since 13th Feb update, I am able to send messages even if my contacts are offline on Skype. I use that feature the most. It does lack decent group chat support on Windows phone and sharing capabilities. If it had that, I know most of my groups would move to Skype in a blink. Whatsapp - I like all its features, but performance wise my battery takes a hit. Skype is gentle on my battery.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I use Skype too a lot because most of my contacts used msn messenger before so they all moved to Skype. I also enjoy that Skype is cross platform:)

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if file sharing will come to skyppe for windows phone? Ever since the facebook- whatsapp deal, I've wanted to switch to Skype, but the lack of file sharing is holding me back.

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
How do you actually use Skype? I have it on my laptop, tablet and phone and I've never used it. When I need to message someone I send them a Facebook message or SMS text. I open Skype and don't see anyone listed so do I have to manually add them? If so, what is the advantage to doing that if I can already text or Facebook them?

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
How do you actually use Skype? I have it on my laptop, tablet and phone and I've never used it. When I need to message someone I send them a Facebook message or SMS text. I open Skype and don't see anyone listed so do I have to manually add them? If so, what is the advantage to doing that if I can already text or Facebook them?

Mainly video calls to relatives abroad. I also just use FB or whatsapp or even good old text when messaging friends and family on other occasions. I had manually added skype contacts before and then just linked it to my MS account when they emailed me about it not too long ago. So it shows it in my contacts now.

jacksonking112

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it's basically a phone service for the computer. If you sign up for Skype-In you can get a main land line number set-up for your Skype account. If you sign-up for Skype-Out then you can make calls to land line phones from your Skype account.

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I use Skype nearly every day from both the desktop app and from my Lumia 928 to chat with employees (it's our main internal communication system since we all work remotely), customers, family members and friends. A link to my Skype Chat/Skype Call options are in my work email signature in case anyone wants to contact me that way (and for one of our largest customers it's their main way of contacting me). I also use it for making plenty of calls since I have Skype credits and also get some monthly minutes through my Office365 subscription (and calling toll free numbers doesn't use any credit or minutes). Less frequently I also send texts and files from the desktop app. Once I started learning about all the different capabilities Skype actually has, I tried to make the most of it and, not surprisingly, started getting more benefit from it and encouraging others to use Skype. It's also turning into a main communication method within my family, too, even though my wife is an iPhone user and a Mac person. Momentum seems to have grown as I've mentioned using Skype to others and they start using it, and some people have even "revived" the Skype accounts they had all but forgotten about so they can get into the mix with me and other folks who are using it more regularly -- so it can start to grow among your network if you spread the word.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes