Microsoft should get Pebble to support Windows Mobile

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
After getting used to my Pebble watch with my BlackBerry 10 phones, I do not think I can go without a smartwatch for my next phones.

After BlackBerry 10, Windows would be my next choice since all of my other services are from Microsoft, but without the Pebble watch, I just cannot move to Windows Mobile.

MS is such a powerful company; why cant it just get Pebble to support Windows phone? It would be mutually beneficial for both companies. MS can even offer to pay for the development cost, so that Pebble does not even have to pay anything.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Lol they should also just pay the following companies to bring their apps over: snapchat/imo/clash of clans..

I get your predicament, but unless you're bringing over 10.000 or more BB users, I don't see why MS would consider this. Keep in mind that MS already has their own wearable device now so paying another dev to bring their app over would be kind of... well you get my point right?

Instead of asking MS to pay the developer, mail the dev and ask them to bring their app over as a UWP. Maybe a lot of Windows Phone users don't have the pebble, but I bet a lot of pebble users have a windows PC/laptop. With a UWP app they could also view all data on their windows (10) device in a native app

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
After getting used to my Pebble watch with my BlackBerry 10 phones, I do not think I can go without a smartwatch for my next phones.

After BlackBerry 10, Windows would be my next choice since all of my other services are from Microsoft, but without the Pebble watch, I just cannot move to Windows Mobile.

MS is such a powerful company; why cant it just get Pebble to support Windows phone? It would be mutually beneficial for both companies. MS can even offer to pay for the development cost, so that Pebble does not even have to pay anything.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10

Windows Phone started with Microsoft PAYING off compaines for the big apps, this was nice because apps were there but, the problems were, they were not updated with the iOS/Android versions, so after about a year, the apps were old, lacking new features and just never updated. It sort of worked but, they dont do that any more or wont.

There was/is a hack with a Microsoft Pebble notifications app. Not sure if it works in the newest build of 10. It didn't/DOES NOT work with the TIME or ROUND just with the pebble and pebble steel. It did work fine in 8.1 and earlier builds of Windows 10 Mobile. I dont have access to a final W10m device to test to know if it works. I still have a Pebble Steel that I might put up for sale at some point.

Microsoft tried to work with Pebble in the past, they created the Pebble Notifcations app as a proof of concept. It did work but, with Pebble Apps(weather, fitness, etc) it was hit or miss. Pebble didn't want to work with Microsoft on Windows Phone. Still to this day, if you ping Pebble on Twitter, they will say they are only working with Apple and Android devices and pretty much could care less about Windows Phone.

There is a few but, limited smart watch options for Windows Phone, namely the Band 1 and 2 are the big ones that work perfectly with WP, it will even give Cortana control via a button on the watch.

Liike you, after using a Pebble watch with Windows Phone for a while now (moved to a band 2), it's one of those things that I cant live with out any more.

The band 2 lasts about 2 days before needing a charge, the Pebble steel lasts about 5-7 days and I really miss charging on a weekend and not worrying about it till the following weekend...

Here is the link to the app in the store...You cant download it directly, the ONLY way is to download it from another souce, unlock your phone and side load it.
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...e-notifications%2F9wzdncrcv6bf&token=h0o3J7og

If you dont mind doing some homework and mind playing with some tweaking/hacking, you SHOULD be able to get the Pebble or Pebble steel working on Windows Phone

ryanlrobinson

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
You can count me as 1 of those 10,000 who would come from BlackBerry 10 to Windows Mobile if it supported my Pebble Time. I might still, but I'm really used to the convenience of it now so it's hard to give up.

I don't see them rushing to develop for Windows out of their own pocket, unfortunately. The main selling point for developing for Windows is that you also get the desktop users (and Xbox, and tablet). That's not really relevant for a smartwatch companion app. And Pebble has not done well financially, despite record-breaking Kickstarter campaigns. They're still too small to stay competitive with the big companies. Making and maintaining a Windows app for another relatively-small amount boost in user base is probably not a smart investment when you're strapped for cash.

And if Microsoft won't approve a third-party app... we're out of luck.

Last edited:

rgallini

May 13, 2015
Visit site
There was/is a hack with a Microsoft Pebble notifications app. Not sure if it works in the newest build of 10.

Pebble Notifications works on WP10. I'm on the insider slow ring and it has worked with all builds. It requires the older 2.x firmware and has a bug, noted in this thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/sm...ions-app-updated-last-update-3-25-2015-a.html where re-opening the app results in random apps being enabled for notifications. The workaround is to uninstall/re-install, check the apps you want to send notifications, exit, then never open it again! It's a PITA, but worth getting Pebble Classic and Steel to work with WP10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa