Why doesn't downloads match purchases in the dashboard?

Barking Cactii

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I recently put up for sale a Windows Phone 8.1 app, with no trail. Its 'Buy' only.

The only thing is, in this model you would think that downloads = purchases but it doesn't.. Purchases are way behind downloads.

How are people downloading without purchasing. Can anyone explain why this is so?

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I recently put up for sale a Windows Phone 8.1 app, with no trail. Its 'Buy' only.

The only thing is, in this model you would think that downloads = purchases but it doesn't.. Purchases are way behind downloads.

How are people downloading without purchasing. Can anyone explain why this is so?
you mean to say people are using illegal methods to get paid versions of apps?

Barking Cactii

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
you mean to say people are using illegal methods to get paid versions of apps?

Actually, I was more thinking is there something inaccurate about Microsoft's reporting tools in the dashboard, but you say the real discrepancy is from piracy?
That's pretty bad considering I'm selling < 50% of what is being downloaded.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Actually, I was more thinking is there something inaccurate about Microsoft's reporting tools in the dashboard, but you say the real discrepancy is from piracy?
That's pretty bad considering I'm selling < 50% of what is being downloaded.
Well I am not sure...but I have seen websites filled with windows phone pirated apps......if only MSFT finds some ways to take care of this...it would be real nice....developers work hard in creating and supporting apps and feel real bad when users use pirated versions.....but its a problem not only with Windows platform...this issue is more with Android and iOS platforms...nyways.....

Barking Cactii

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Well I am not sure...but I have seen websites filled with windows phone pirated apps......if only MSFT finds some ways to take care of this...it would be real nice....developers work hard in creating and supporting apps and feel real bad when users use pirated versions.....but its a problem not only with Windows platform...this issue is more with Android and iOS platforms...nyways.....

Thanks for your reply.

I can understand people getting the trial version then hacking it to behave like a paid version, that makes sense, but this is on a website that has no 'Try' or 'Download' button, only a 'Buy' button.

I can't understand how hackers can circumvent this, and if I was a hacker I would be using this trick on E-bay & Amazon and clicking the 'Buy' button on big ticket items, instead of taking a $1.99 app.

Since this, I turned my app into a trial version now, so I have no real idea of determining real downloads vs hacked downloads like I could before.

grosssmutttr

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Many people buy apps or in-app-purchases and make a refund call.

Don't know why this is the way Google, Apple and WP goes.
You can't handle a refund as a developer so they get your content for free...

Perhaps this is also an issue...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven