How many think MS Edge as a serious competitor to Google Chrome and Firefox

Abinav Shankar

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
MS Edge has come a long way since its birth. Now considering the fact it can do almost anything other browsers do (except the save page option) it has the right to be a default browser in every computer. Its fast, has minimal design and feature rich (I know there aren't much extensions but they are coming). I don't even think about an alternate browser these days. What's your take?

Jeffery Holderness

May 28, 2014
Visit site
As much as I love Edge. It has the hardest time preforming simple everyday actions for me that I can't rely on it. Which is sad. Mine still has issues on youtube when you try to scrub videos or bounce around from place to place in the video. I've sent in multiple requests for a fix and I'm hoping that Fall Redstone fixes it. But, once the kinks are hammered out. Of course I'd use it as a daily driver.

acornwafer

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Firefox and Edge are my primary browsers; I always use both on all my computers. Funny enough, when using Office 365 SharePoint, there is a feature, Open with Explorer, that does not work with Edge; I have to use Internet Explorer to get it to work.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
It's the only secure browser, its fast, and the UI is really great (having saved sessions, and all bookmarks downloads, history in the same place). The share function is SUPER handy with handoff (although I imagine such functions will be replaced by timeline etc).

I used to use opera, chrome. At one point firefox. Now I am kind of annoyed having to use another browser if I use another PC.

I discovered yesterday that the pdf reading function is much quicker than any other apps I've tried for pdfs.

Yeah I like it.

Only downside really is that some web developers don't follow the html5 standards properly. (Like this site for example, there are a few glitches that show its developed outside the standard). If people could actually follow the standards it'd be prefect.

Abinav Shankar

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Yup. Fed up with other browsers eventually but edge still has some stability issues. Pages freeze sometimes. Once that is fixed, no other browsers would be able to beat it.

Pratik Khandelwal

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Since I am a MS fan, my opinion may be biased but there's no denying how much Edge has improved since it has been launched. I seriously hate it when some people compare it to IE ! For me, Edge is primary for browsing but would be better id download experience is improved !

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I cant use Edge full time until it syncs my open tabs on other devices like chrome will do. And why does my bookmarks still not show up on my xbox? Shouldn't all those sync?

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I'm using Edge fulltime already. So far I'm really enjoying it. I think it maybe needs some optimization as battery usage seems quite high compared to other browsers and little things here and there but it has come such a long way.

Deepak Minhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Edge has improved a lot. It forced me to uninstall Chrome, Opera and Firefox when the Adblocker feature came to Edge in the Anniversary Update.

JohnnyRedLight

May 12, 2017
Visit site
I seriously gave it a go and dedicated the last 2 weeks of April to Edge. I had to go back to Chrome. The daily use jsut seemed annoying. Why can't it fill in forms properly? When it does work, you still ahve to click in each cell and select the one you want. With Chrome, it just fills in the entire form.

Overall, it jsut seemed "off". I don't know. Maybe just so much familiarity with Chrome that nothing else will do...

mikemcgrath

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I use Edge all the time with the Translator extension installed as I browse a lot of non-English language websites. it works great for me and I love the Reading view feature.

justmikey

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
I've been using Edge almost exclusively at work for the last 2 mo the and really love the performance. Very fast. Very secure. I'm excited to see where Microsoft takes it over the next few months and years.

BLKMMB

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Edge is really a beast. With a few more update and when everyone is on board, Edge will be at the top. I've used Firefox for ages now and I haven't gone back since edge came out. At work I am on chrome, but I miss edge a lot.

Manu Tyagi

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I have been using Edge as my main browser for quite sometime now and the experience has been Ok, only sometime do I need to open Chrome and that too it is not frequently. Most of the times Edge does the job for me so for me definitely the new browser is working. I even removed Firefox from my laptop, no need to have 4 browsers on the laptop when I can have one browser to rule them all. :D

Octagon31415

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Edge inherits the No More Microsoft legacy of Internet Explorer and lacks 3d party support. It is like the UWP - promising, but lonely. The usage statistics does not favor Edge. I guess Edge can go up only together with the UWP in general. Microsoft offers inking and VR, but only few devices can benefit from that so far.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, I use Edge exclusively, and have almost no issues. Occasionally, when I do hit a snag, I'll open the same page in Firefox to see if it's an Edge issue or just an issue with the web page. 99% of the times, it's an issue with the web page.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon