Can I use Visual Studio on WIndows 10 S?

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
hey there. unfortunately not but hopefully visual studio will be offered in the windows store in the near future! it would make sense for microsoft to bring all of its apps to the store eventually and they are in the process of doing just that so i think (hope) its inevitable. i dont make apps but after reading how its done, it would be hypocritical to push uwp apps and the app store but an app that contributes to making apps isnt a store app. :p

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
k1s23, I agree. At least VS Code could have in UWP and running in mobile version.

hey that would be awesome. im sure developers would love to be able to check code easily while on the go. a mobile version of visual studio would be convenient for those people.

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I think windows pro is a better coding environment. Windows s doesn't have commandlines and its supposed to be very secure. Coding requires full access to all your computers facilities - full user permission access to everything.

I think the only way to code on windows s, will be to execute on another machine, like a remote server (which there are apps for in the app store, and that may work).

The only way I could see VS going full UWP in the store, is if it runs fully on a virtual machine. Which might be possible, and it would be good if solutions like that were offered!

Rodgers Momanyi

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
You can upgrade to windows 10 pro to use visual studio. Alternatively Microsoft would have to bring visual studio to the store so that it can be downloadable to Windows 10 S

ajcletus500

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
probably MS may port VS to the store to expand its base but if your really need apps as powerful as VS you should go with the window10 pro because not everything you need will be on the store.

Rafael Martins1

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I think windows pro is a better coding environment. Windows s doesn't have commandlines and its supposed to be very secure. Coding requires full access to all your computers facilities - full user permission access to everything.

I think the only way to code on windows s, will be to execute on another machine, like a remote server (which there are apps for in the app store, and that may work).

The only way I could see VS going full UWP in the store, is if it runs fully on a virtual machine. Which might be possible, and it would be good if solutions like that were offered!

It does not have to be Visual Studio Full, but the VS Code.

Jeffery Holderness

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm really surprised a lot of Microsoft's own applications aren't available as store apps. Seems strange. Especially since they push getting applications in the store and then they don't even have that many.

anon(10237065)

May 12, 2017
Visit site
I think (or at least hope) that Microsoft will put some sort of VS into the Store. It would make sense, students are playing with programming a bit and at least something like Express edition would be great for Store.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I think (or at least hope) that Microsoft will put some sort of VS into the Store. It would make sense, students are playing with programming a bit and at least something like Express edition would be great for Store.

hello. does that express version differ greatly from the full version?

anon(10237065)

May 12, 2017
Visit site
hello. does that express version differ greatly from the full version?

Well now it's called Community, but basically it's the same version as Pro and others, it just doesn't have the advanced tools for debugging, live testing and testing in overall. Also no enterprise features. But in terms of writing a code, there should be little difference.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Well now it's called Community, but basically it's the same version as Pro and others, it just doesn't have the advanced tools for debugging, live testing and testing in overall. Also no enterprise features. But in terms of writing a code, there should be little difference.

hey there, i see. nice to know there is a basic option available at the moment, although that definitely wont cut it for every developer using windows 10. if it had testing then writing code+testing would be a great uwp express app.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I know you can't run it on 10 S as it is, and I'm not sure if Microsoft would even be able to port Visual Studio to the Store as a full UWA without making some serious compromises that might affect the programs effectiveness and performance, while also diluting the Visual Studio name with further versions that may or may not work as well. I think the only way that could work would be either for Microsoft to port a lightweight version of Studio to the Store (like Code) or to somehow come up with a way to fully port the entirety of Studio to the Store and then drop the Win32 version. And with how many registry entries Studio alone makes, and how much access Studio needs to develop heavy duty applications and apps, I don't think it's possible let alone likely. Maybe if Microsoft uses a virtual machine, but that poses the same problems I posed earlier: what compromises would we have to make to have a UWP version of Studio? What benefits would we gain besides using Studio with 10 S?

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I know you can't run it on 10 S as it is, and I'm not sure if Microsoft would even be able to port Visual Studio to the Store as a full UWA without making some serious compromises that might affect the programs effectiveness and performance, while also diluting the Visual Studio name with further versions that may or may not work as well. I think the only way that could work would be either for Microsoft to port a lightweight version of Studio to the Store (like Code) or to somehow come up with a way to fully port the entirety of Studio to the Store and then drop the Win32 version. And with how many registry entries Studio alone makes, and how much access Studio needs to develop heavy duty applications and apps, I don't think it's possible let alone likely. Maybe if Microsoft uses a virtual machine, but that poses the same problems I posed earlier: what compromises would we have to make to have a UWP version of Studio? What benefits would we gain besides using Studio with 10 S?

hey zachary, really good points there. since im not a developer and have never used visual studio, this is all foreign to me so its nice to see someone with lots of technical information about visual studio write a reply. i guess if youre making apps then you would want to avoid windows 10 s for now because of its limits and would be more productive overall on a windows 10 pro machine instead. maybe we will find out more info at build next year? :p

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
hey zachary, really good points there. since im not a developer and have never used visual studio, this is all foreign to me so its nice to see someone with lots of technical information about visual studio write a reply. i guess if youre making apps then you would want to avoid windows 10 s for now because of its limits and would be more productive overall on a windows 10 pro machine instead. maybe we will find out more info at build next year? :p

That's my thoughts exactly. If you're a developer looking to create or build your own apps or programs, you'll want to avoid Windows 10 S for now. Nobody is developing apps on an Android tablet or iPad, so why should they on a version of Windows locked down to the Store?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3