08-06-2018 11:04 PM
54 123
tools
    I'd like to know, if people had a choice, which one would they go for? Give a reason as to why you'd prefer a particular model - looks/price/features and what not.

It's interesting to see how people pick their laptops because not everyone is the same.

It doesn't necessarily have to be better from a neutral PoV but it could be what seems right for you, So shoot!
    06-04-2017 05:43 AM
    Huawei matebook x
    rdubmu likes this.
    06-04-2017 08:11 AM
    I was considering the Surface Laptop but have decided to pass on it for now... While we don't know the exact specs yet the rumor is a 7200U CPU and slow poke SSD's..

At this price I would expect a 7300U (about 10% faster than the 7200U) and faster SSD's...

Personally I have started looking at the Dell XPS 13 as an option. Better specs and pricing is similar or less.. Build quality might be better on the Surface Laptop but the Dell is no slouch either..

Also not sold on the longevity and durability of the Alcantara material..

http://bgr.com/2017/05/05/surface-la...irt-alcantara/
    06-04-2017 09:19 AM
    I think the xps is generally the best all rounder laptop with no major weakness and a really nice screen. On the other hand, it doesn't pop as much as a surface device.
    raqball, jmshub and WillysJeepMan like this.
    06-04-2017 11:26 AM
    Surface Pro!
    06-04-2017 12:04 PM
    Huawei matebook x
    Could you specify why?
    06-04-2017 01:35 PM
    I was considering the Surface Laptop but have decided to pass on it for now... While we don't know the exact specs yet the rumor is a 7200U CPU and slow poke SSD's..

At this price I would expect a 7300U (about 10% faster than the 7200U) and faster SSD's...

Personally I have started looking at the Dell XPS 13 as an option. Better specs and pricing is similar or less.. Build quality might be better on the Surface Laptop but the Dell is no slouch either..

Also not sold on the longevity and durability of the Alcantara material..

Microsoft’s Surface Laptop has a filthy secret – BGR
    I own a Dell laptop. I can vouch for one thing i.e. the built quality ;)
    raqball likes this.
    06-04-2017 01:36 PM
    Surface Pro!
    Any particular reason?
    06-04-2017 01:38 PM
    Surface Pro, since from my experience with the older versions they last a long time, and are quite reliable.
    06-05-2017 02:39 PM
    The infinity display of Dell computers are droolworthy, but at the end of the day, if I didn't have the XPS15 with 1050 as an option, I would go for the SL, because of nicer overall design, material, battery life (maybe), and facial recognition Windows Hello (I don't care for fingerprint scanners on computers if one is offered). Also, I love Alcantara.
    06-06-2017 01:06 AM
    For practical reasons of price, I'd go for the XPS 13. The Inifnity Edge display is also quite something.
    06-06-2017 03:09 AM
    So for the i5/8/256GB configuration set, the Surface Laptop and the XPS 13 seem to be equally prices (XPS is a bit more expensive).

Also, I don't know what great things people want to do having a 7300U over a 7200U. There's hardly any, if not no, difference.
    06-06-2017 03:16 AM
    The infinity display of Dell computers are droolworthy, but at the end of the day, if I didn't have the XPS15 with 1050 as an option, I would go for the SL, because of nicer overall design, material, battery life (maybe), and facial recognition Windows Hello (I don't care for fingerprint scanners on computers if one is offered). Also, I love Alcantara.
    Would probably be the reason everyone wants one ;)
    06-06-2017 03:34 AM
    So for the i5/8/256GB configuration set, the Surface Laptop and the XPS 13 seem to be equally prices (XPS is a bit more expensive).

Also, I don't know what great things people want to do having a 7300U over a 7200U. There's hardly any, if not no, difference.
    The XPS has the option of touch and non touch though right? Someone not wanting touch might buy an XPS and not a Surface Laptop. However, is there much difference in the price should you opt for the one without touch?
    06-06-2017 03:36 AM
    For practical reasons of price, I'd go for the XPS 13. The Inifnity Edge display is also quite something.
    Gone are the days you'd drool over a macbook :)
    06-06-2017 03:36 AM
    I think the xps is generally the best all rounder laptop with no major weakness and a really nice screen. On the other hand, it doesn't pop as much as a surface device.
    Couple of weaknesses on the XPS 13 -

1. Battery life on anything but the non-touch 1080p model is very short (5-6 hours)
    2. The webcam is placed on the bottom

Still a good computer, but I would certainly not call it flawless.
    nikmour likes this.
    06-06-2017 08:39 AM
    I was asking myself the same question but ended up determining that the Razer Blade Stealth was the best value and package for me.
    06-08-2017 10:37 AM
    If for the same price I cant get a better spec XPS then why not. but frankly speaking the Surface laptop is a head turner as well.
    PS: Specs > looks
    06-08-2017 10:45 AM
    The Surface Pro. It's so unique.
    06-08-2017 10:58 AM
    Couple of weaknesses on the XPS 13 -

1. Battery life on anything but the non-touch 1080p model is very short (5-6 hours)
    2. The webcam is placed on the bottom

Still a good computer, but I would certainly not call it flawless.
    I have the XPS 13 with I5/4K model with Touch. On brightness set at around 25% (in office /indoors) easily runs for 8hours+
    06-08-2017 11:10 AM
    I'd like to know, if people had a choice, which one would they go for? Give a reason as to why you'd prefer a particular model - looks/price/features and what not.

It's interesting to see how people pick their laptops because not everyone is the same.

It doesn't necessarily have to be better from a neutral PoV but it could be what seems right for you, So shoot!
    I'd opt for surface laptop. It's a first Party hardware along with being the first laptop to run Windows 10 S. Battery life is something that's amazing and worth noticing. I like displays of both the laptops and specs are something which would be always one would keep in comparison. But this laptop from Microsoft has design worth every single dime..its definitely pricey, but the top notch hardware innovations, fitting everything inside with not a single screw being visible outside, along with the luxurious alcantara keyboard in different colors with windows hello and Dolby Atmos...its a luxury..nothing visible to divert ur work and it truly is a piece of hardware that Panos describes..how the hardware and software make ur piece of work in focus bringing them in front..
    The dell laptop's display is an amazing feat..but I'd still prefer Surface laptop..(I only wish it gets available sooner and a bit affordable or else it would be ok if I get a sponsor to purchase one😄😁)
    06-08-2017 12:26 PM
    Actually I'm facing this decision right now! I Love the design of SL and I think XPS 13 is also a looker, but the fact is that I want this laptop to last since I haven't upgraded for about 8 years and the possibility of upgrading SSD on XPS 13 and not on de SL on the future may be he reaseon I prefer the first one.
    06-08-2017 12:42 PM
    8 years???

it's estimated that 1 year = 15 computer years. so that 3 year old PC is essentially a middle-aged 45 year old PC. an SSD in 8 years might not even be an SSD or have the same interface (will definitely not be SATA in 8 years and might not be NVMe either).
    06-08-2017 03:35 PM
    I know it shouldn't matter, but to me the XPS13 just doesn't do it for me visually. Maybe it's the big Dell logo, maybe it's the bland shade of silver combined with the black inside, but it just looks a bit dull to my eyes. I know the thin bezels have that wow factor, but not enough for me. I attend an educational seminar once a week, and the guy who sits next to me has one. Every time I look at it, I'm glad I never got one. I'm sure it is a great laptop, just not for me.

Like I said, I hate that it matters to me, but at this point, a laptop needs to have more than good internals for me to spend my money on it.
    06-08-2017 04:13 PM
    My preference is a Thinkpad E475. Proven reliability.
    06-08-2017 05:05 PM
54 123