07-30-2017 04:05 PM
58 123
tools
    Just popped into this forum (haven't been in here in a bit), but thought we might as well start up an 'official' Surface Phone rumors thread. Honestly not sure what the latest is here on the Surface phone, hoping the community-at-large can help us out here with the latest.

Any rumors you've hears, please post 'em here!
    03-19-2017 11:21 PM
    I read a couple of different articles. One in particular was interesting in that it shared RS3 could be delayed past Fall 2017. The reasons for that were not specified and only added that Microsoft could be releasing a new device to go along with certain features that may be ready such as cshell and other first element functions. It would run w32 apps from the store only and would be released during the creators update. Then lead on to believe Microsoft would release this surface phone-like device to test these features as it would be the predecessor to the long-waited device. So it would not be named under the surface branding.

I read these every once in a while to see what people think and ponder myself, but it is not reality until you see it. It is still cool to read thoughts about it.
    aximtreo likes this.
    03-20-2017 11:40 PM
    I hear rs 3 update will be last update for windows mobile.i also hear surface phone will come in 2019

Sent from mTalk
    03-21-2017 01:19 AM
    @Nate W @faisalbaba - oh I hope we see something before 2019!
    faisalbaba and Saeglopur89 like this.
    03-21-2017 09:40 AM
    I heard it's going to have a Snapdragon 8750 and come with an optional light saber attachment. And some sweet VR goggles.

Guys.....seriously.......this one exists only in our fantasies and fake news. The only semi-credible rumor came over a year ago when somebody caught a glimpse of a prototype phone being produced. And even then it couldn't be identified as a Surface Phone specifically, just "a phone" in general.

There aren't even any noteworthy indications to suggest that MS is considering making a device like this, let alone actively developing it. Nadella said that someday, Microsoft is going to release its version of the "ultimate mobile device", without giving the vaguest indication of when and what that is. He only said that MS is going to release something someday. Nothing more, nothing less. We took that statement and wishfully misconstrued it to mean, "The exact Surface Phone that we invented in our heads is coming soon!"

I could understand a sticky based on fairly reliable sources, but c'mon. We're talking about NewsOXY and what some random nobody on Reddit says. The former can't even afford to keep its clickbait site online half of the time. Why do we do this to ourselves?
    03-21-2017 11:07 AM
    I heard it's going to have a Snapdragon 8750 and come with an optional light saber attachment. And some sweet VR goggles.

Guys.....seriously.......this one exists only in our fantasies and fake news. The only semi-credible rumor came over a year ago when somebody caught a glimpse of a prototype phone being produced. And even then it couldn't be identified as a Surface Phone specifically, just "a phone" in general.

There aren't even any noteworthy indications to suggest that MS is considering making a device like this, let alone actively developing it. Nadella said that someday, Microsoft is going to release its version of the "ultimate mobile device", without giving the vaguest indication of when and what that is. He only said that MS is going to release something someday. Nothing more, nothing less. We took that statement and wishfully misconstrued it to mean, "The exact Surface Phone that we invented in our heads is coming soon!"

I could understand a sticky based on fairly reliable sources, but c'mon. We're talking about NewsOXY and what some random nobody on Reddit says. The former can't even afford to keep its clickbait site online half of the time. Why do we do this to ourselves?
    To me it's just rumors and news. So I'm not 'doing' anything to myself. Just news and that's all. Of course we all know everything on the internet is not true any way....or was it the other way around...;)
    aximtreo and TgeekB like this.
    03-21-2017 12:01 PM
    If they follow their previous Surface pattern you'll never really know when the device is going to come until just about the drop dead date and most of the rumor mills will be wrong on the form factor. But not to dampen things too much let me say that right now we have maybe 2 rounds of devices, one "phone" round this year and "surface mobile device" in a future year. Which one are you focusing on for this thread?
    03-24-2017 07:06 PM
    Well, considering this, I highly doubt we're going to see any new hardware out of Microsoft anytime soon. In fact, much like what happened to Blackberry, this is probably the beginning of the end for Windows 10 Mobile:

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/be...165459551.html

Yep, that's right. Microsoft is going to start selling an android phone in their store for the first time ever, which means that they obviously have no new mobile hardware planned any time soon (or ever). We know how this one ends. If Microsoft's few remaining smartphone users begin to adopt the S8 en masse.....which many of us will since a lot of us are using 5-year-old phones with no flagships on the horizon......then the Surface Phone hopes are pretty dim.

You're not going to funnel your users to Android and expect them to return in two years for a Surface Phone. So as sad as it makes me, I think we can declare Windows Mobile and the Surface Phone dead.
    04-02-2017 10:09 AM
    Well, considering this, I highly doubt we're going to see any new hardware out of Microsoft anytime soon. In fact, much like what happened to Blackberry, this is probably the beginning of the end for Windows 10 Mobile:

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/be...165459551.html

Yep, that's right. Microsoft is going to start selling an android phone in their store for the first time ever, which means that they obviously have no new mobile hardware planned any time soon (or ever). We know how this one ends. If Microsoft's few remaining smartphone users begin to adopt the S8 en masse.....which many of us will since a lot of us are using 5-year-old phones with no flagships on the horizon......then the Surface Phone hopes are pretty dim.

You're not going to funnel your users to Android and expect them to return in two years for a Surface Phone. So as sad as it makes me, I think we can declare Windows Mobile and the Surface Phone dead.
    I think you're overreacting. This is not to funnel users to Android, its to get Windows 10 on more and more devices. The more people use it, the more they will become familiar with it and are more likely to buy a W10 device.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    04-02-2017 12:00 PM
    So if they start selling a Samsung tablet and you have no news regarding new Surface Pro models the Surface Pro is dead? Too much of a leap. 835 hardware that everyone wants is delayed except for Samsung who bought out the current supply. You won't get any high end phones for quite a few months. But those phones aren't dead.
    Nate W likes this.
    04-02-2017 10:25 PM
    I hear the all too familiar, wait and see ringing.
    04-02-2017 11:49 PM
    I think you're overreacting. This is not to funnel users to Android, its to get Windows 10 on more and more devices. The more people use it, the more they will become familiar with it and are more likely to buy a W10 device.

But its not W10 on the Samsung it is just Microsoft apps, which they can get now on Android or iOS. Using these services really gives no reason for you to want to switch to a W10M device.

I'm with the others that it isn't a good sign for Microsoft's belief in W10M, but that's not really new news.
    04-03-2017 02:37 PM
    But its not W10 on the Samsung it is just Microsoft apps, which they can get now on Android or iOS. Using these services really gives no reason for you to want to switch to a W10M device.

I'm with the others that it isn't a good sign for Microsoft's belief in W10M, but that's not really new news.
    And the only way you do that is to show people what it can do, starting with the Office suite and other platform based apps they may never have seen. For people who may be frustrated with the other platforms or are looking for something new, it is a way to show them what MS is all about.

I was someone who, a short time ago, thought MS was old-fashioned. Now I know different.

Guytronic and Nate W like this.
    04-03-2017 03:22 PM
    Didn't they introduce the "Surface Phone" late last week. I think it's called Samsung Galaxy S8 with Continuim.
    Guytronic, Nate W and Saeglopur89 like this.
    04-03-2017 03:37 PM
    @aximtreo Lol ... you 'ole dawg you!
    04-03-2017 03:39 PM
    @aximtreo Lol ... you 'ole dawg you!

Well, doesn't it seem strange to be announcing a new Android phone with at least as good MS apps and capabilities. LOL
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-03-2017 05:08 PM
    Samsung is a fact of life here in smart device world.

I have never had a Samsung phone of any kind. Still bucking the popular option here.
    04-03-2017 05:51 PM
    Well, doesn't it seem strange to be announcing a new Android phone with at least as good MS apps and capabilities. LOL
    It is interesting to watch. Microsoft many times pioneers stuff like this. Many stories (negative) in the threads shared on this too.

Samsung knows what's up. Wonder who else is up to hopping on Microsoft's train? There is a difference though, but slightly from my perspective and it is mentioned by several people. Samsung is an ODM/OEM themselves. More like a hybrid of sorts. You can tell they have been making moves to get away from that sort of business. In house SoCs, in house mobile OS, and also partnering out in some ways. Sounds a little familiar :).
    04-03-2017 08:56 PM
    so, 8 Zip Surface Edition - lists surface phone in the description in the store. Is it a prank, a nod, or do they know something we don't? Who knows!
    Nate W likes this.
    05-07-2017 07:20 PM
    maybe something from //build this week?

We've got the Harmon Kardon Invoke speaker confirmed for the fall...

Difficult to push a home assistant without a mobile platform to compliment it...here's hoping 2017 is THE YEAR!
    05-08-2017 12:53 PM
    I think there may be successor of lumia 950 coming in may 23 event.only my assumption

Sent from mTalk
    05-08-2017 12:58 PM
    maybe something from //build this week?

We've got the Harmon Kardon Invoke speaker confirmed for the fall...

Difficult to push a home assistant without a mobile platform to compliment it...here's hoping 2017 is THE YEAR!
    That's a fair point, smart homes need supporting apps. You can't just be all voice. Could be a ready for consumers HoloLens with telephony though.
    05-08-2017 11:08 PM
    so, 8 Zip Surface Edition - lists surface phone in the description in the store. Is it a prank, a nod, or do they know something we don't? Who knows!
    The only thing that they know is that the term "Surface Phone" is widely searched for on Google and Bing. They're just putting a keyword in there to generate more traffic for their silly app.
    05-09-2017 10:07 AM
    Still can't believe how Microsoft couldn't trade Office for Android to Google services on W10. That is one of the biggest reasons why in era of YouTube, Analytics etc. many people didn't even consider Windows Phones.

Imagine if now Surface Phone would launch, we are still in a bit same situation. Windows 10 S won't change it SPECIALLY if it has to be a competitor for Google Chromebooks. Although Surface Book was unannounced, nobody expected it, same with first Surface, only that last Surface Laptop was sort of expected and leaked. So who knows, in Shanghai it might be everything but we can be sure that it won't be Harman Kardon device because it's non MS product.

But why they would present any new hardware in China, not in US? If Surface Phone would be released probably it wouldn't be even available in China?! Does China have Cortana?
    05-09-2017 10:37 AM
    But why they would present any new hardware in China, not in US? If Surface Phone would be released probably it wouldn't be even available in China?! Does China have Cortana?
    Shanghai is the trade capital of china. China is the tech manufacturing capital of the world.

Presenting a device in Shanghai is a way of saying "here's our idea, would you like to make some too?" or perhaps "Here's our device, help us make it cheaply" or "we want companion devices for this tech". Either way its pitching to the manufacturers of technology, from the place they trade from.

Companies based in China:

Lenovo
    Huawei
    Xiaomi
    Oppo
    Chuwi/Teclast
    JD.com
    Cheetah Mobile
    ZTE
    Alibaba
    Tencent Holdings

Three of those are the fastest growing names in smartphones. The reasons for it being in Shanghai should be somewhat obvious - whatever MS is unveiling, they want hardware partners (For example there are a host of VR platforms, smartwatches, smart glasses, smart home devices being made by companies like xiaomi).

China has a fast adopter mentality too, hybrid windows devices in China have been pretty big. Whatever it is, it will need to be global, so I am thinking something voice based is out of the question.

China also tends to make devices cheaper than the west. It may be MS wants help making affordable versions of its tech.

My best guess would be a consumer HoloLens with telephony.

But it could also very much be a windows on arm device (tablet?) - especially given the smartphone stronghold that is china, and it could even be a surface phone (probably not). Or a wearable. A step forward in VR.

Whatever it is, its doubtful to be boring, china being the tech hungry country that it is.
    Saeglopur89 likes this.
    05-09-2017 11:34 PM
58 123