What's the REAL strory about not being able to update account info?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I've had a line on my T-Mobile account that I used to let people try Windows Phone. I loan them one of my backup phones with a sim for that line in it. The line is a 5th on the plan (unlimited voice, text, data - 2.5GB LTE) so only costs ~$13 a month.

That has converted several Android and iPhone users but I've pretty much gone thru the friends and acquaintances with interest and open minds. I was about to cancel the line when my son decided to switch from AT&T so I ported his number to that line and gave him the sim for it in exchange for him paying 1/5th of the total plan bill.

That's when the fun started.

The line had originally been set up using the "name" Extra Phone. The only place in the on-line account where the name can be edited is under profiles. But when I tried to save the change, I got an error saying the system is not available and to please try again later. I was a little suspicious because I could change other fields on the same screen such as e911 address. But I tried to change the name numerous times over weeks and always got the same message.

So I did a chat with support and they said they would change the name for me. They said it could take 3 days. Three days passed and still no change. So I chatted again and got the same assurance it had been changed but might not show up for 3 days. This happened so many times I lost count. Each time I was given a different apparently BS story for why this was happening.

Fast forward a month and my son's wife decided to switch to T-Mobile so I added a 6th line to my account and ported her number over after she got a new sim at a T-Mobile store. Despite assurances that the new line would have her name applied to the line, I checked and it had the account holder's name. Great. So I got on chat to start the never ending process of getting her name fixed. The rep asked if I wanted to check to also see if the caller-ID name was right. I said sure and was told it was wrong as well but that it had been corrected.

I immediately logged back onto the account to see if my son's name had been fixed since it had been 3 days since the most recent call and was surprised to see that my daughter-in-laws name had been fixed! So somehow T-Mobile could fix her name in the first try but couldn't fix my son's name in a month of tries.

I called support and eventually got to a supervisor who insisted that it would take 3 days to fix my son's name and could somehow not grasp how that contradicted the reality of what happened with my DiL's name.

I'd appreciate hearing form ANYONE who has changed the name on a line in the last few months. Please post the magic words that were used to request it.

And could someone try to change the name on a line (under profiles) to see if they get the same error message (system unavailable, try again later). Only the primary account holder can change that.

At this point, I don't know if I believe that the problem is a widespread one with their system (which they say it is). It does not seem like a problem that would take more than a month to fix. A responsible company would at least change the error message rather than keep telling who knows how many customers to waste their time trying over and over again.

TIA

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I have changed the name on a line by calling Customer Service a few months ago. The name was changed, but spelled incorrectly. (By the way, the name is spelled differently from the common spelling, but they got the common spelling there.) I wanted to change it online but I ran into the same error that you did.

At that time, I remember giving the phone number of the line I wanted to change and then telling them that I wanted to change the caller id. Good luck with this, and I hope you'll be able to change it at some point in the near future.

davidclt

May 18, 2014
Visit site
The easiest way to change the name on the account is to set up a login for that user tied to their number. As the primary account holder you can see what everyone on the account is doing and you can selectively grant the other users rights to see what the other accounts are doing. By setting up their phone number, you can go into the profile, change the name and have it reflected on your overall view and theirs.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The easiest way to change the name on the account is to set up a login for that user tied to their number. As the primary account holder you can see what everyone on the account is doing and you can selectively grant the other users rights to see what the other accounts are doing. By setting up their phone number, you can go into the profile, change the name and have it reflected on your overall view and theirs.
Unfortunately, the problem at hand is that attempts to change the name in the profile fail. T-Mobile has confirmed that this is a problem that has existed for a LONG time, but they can't figure out why many (most?) customers can not edit the name while some can. Also the CS reps can not change the names in those accounts where the customer can not. Although they are wrong about that being 100% because one of our wrong names did get updated, apparently by accident when the rep was doing something else unrelated.

bunky1971

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Hoosier, its time to change your son's name to EXTRA !! j/k -
pre participation in the beta my.t-mobile site, I agree, any name could have been changed without a problem - It would be nice if this was fixed.

What interesting to me, when I log into my-tmo on a PC everyones name is correct - when logged into my-TMO on BB, WP or Android, what names appear next to the numbers is a roulette wheel - each show some names next to numbers, but not all. This was probably all in the last year. Have you tried to update from any devices?
Maybe all the login issues that IT was working on the back end is trying to resolve this?
hopefully it all shakes out well and it gets fixed.
B

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hoosier, its time to change your son's name to EXTRA !! j/k -
pre participation in the beta my.t-mobile site, I agree, any name could have been changed without a problem - It would be nice if this was fixed.

What interesting to me, when I log into my-tmo on a PC everyones name is correct - when logged into my-TMO on BB, WP or Android, what names appear next to the numbers is a roulette wheel - each show some names next to numbers, but not all. This was probably all in the last year. Have you tried to update from any devices?
Maybe all the login issues that IT was working on the back end is trying to resolve this?
hopefully it all shakes out well and it gets fixed.
B
Since my first post, I've had a LOT of different problems with My-Tmobile. Today, I got a warning saying there is no primary account holder!

Two days ago, the Family Allowances tool went away. It had been provided free due to the account being 10 years old. A rep said they will add it back.

And today when I reported the No primary warning, I told them I still can't get to Family Allowances and this rep said, I should be able to but the previous rep had added it as a 30 day free trial and billable after that!

That rep volunteered that there are major major problems with the My-Tmobile web site and many of these problems are happening as side effects of emergency fixes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes