ATT is not so bad right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I left att a decade ago to join tmobile when sidekick was popular. back then, att also had the worst plans, but its the phones that really gets me.

I managed to squeeze some good phones out of tmobile; my last one was Dell Venue pro, now it crapped out on me and now my contracts up this month and I've always wanted a Lumia since L800.

The only way to get it now is to go back to ATT with L920. I mean, I dont know how people can stomach atts greedy way of taking more money by data overages? I don't keep track of my data, but at least tmobile slows you down if you went over. They still charge $10 for unlm txt.

I just went through att and looked at their shady plans; $20 for unlm txt? $20 for 300mb data? really?! i pay 20 dollars for tmobiles 2gig right now and that is without overages.

So I figured out a way to lower my monthly bill by picking 300mb, and lowest voice + text.

And since I am near starbucks and school campuses, incl my work, I could just turn on wifi.

But your monthly cellphone bill should NEVER go above 70. Were so caught up with these beautiful phones that were forgetting ATT is screwing us all.

f1gxa8.png

justreason

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I believe the mobile share plans are beautiful.. When I got my 900 I had $110 plan(including my work discount, tethering, 5gb of data, unlimited text and something else).. I was like I paid this two years ago with my iPhone.. So then I got my fiancee to move from an evo to a 900.. She chose the cyan off course.

But adding her line and switching to the mobile share of 6gb .. We pay around 75-80 each..

And get good insurance.. Paying for replacements suck!!!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Buy the phone outright and get a Straight Talk ATT Sim. $45 a month unlimited everything. Contracts are for ******.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
My wife's company gets a decent discount with AT&T, along with many other companies. I also like that I have access to all the AT&T WiFi hot spots.

It may be fun to call other people "idiots" on the internet, but the only one it reflects badly on is you.

thejoyofsobe

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Buy the phone outright and get a Straight Talk ATT Sim. $45 a month unlimited everything. Contracts are for ******.
this is what i plan to do as well. no LTE (if ATT even has that in your area) but over the life of a normal contract you end up saving A LOT of money even when you factor in the cost of the unsubsidized phone.

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I just went through att and looked at their shady plans; $20 for unlm txt? $20 for 300mb data? really?! i pay 20 dollars for tmobiles 2gig right now and that is without overages.

So I figured out a way to lower my monthly bill by picking 300mb, and lowest voice + text.

And since I am near starbucks and school campuses, incl my work, I could just turn on wifi.

I would caution you against buying an LTE capable phone and only getting 300mb of data. Most likely you will go over and have to pay the overage fees. Just get the 2gb plan, or do what some others were saying at get it on StraightTalk, though you'll be losing the LTE if you do that.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
this is what i plan to do as well. no LTE (if ATT even has that in your area) but over the life of a normal contract you end up saving A LOT of money even when you factor in the cost of the unsubsidized phone.

They just turned on LTE here and now HSDPA+ speeds are blazing cause all the ATT **** have connected to that. I LOVE HSDPA speeds now!

Last edited by a moderator:

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My wife's company gets a decent discount with AT&T, along with many other companies. I also like that I have access to all the AT&T WiFi hot spots.

It may be fun to call other people "idiots" on the internet, but the only one it reflects badly on is you.

I have access to all the ATT hotspots too. Another hidden perk of using a SIM that identifies itself as ATT. Still liking those high ATT fees?

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
If you don't want a cell phone bill over your arbitrary maximum threshold of $70, don't go with AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint. Pretty simple.

I switched to AT&T from Sprint for the Lumia 900. I was paying around $80 per month for Sprint for pretty much unlimited everything, but data speeds were so poor that I was anxious to leave. I was wary of switching to AT&T, mainly because it looked very expensive and I've heard nothing but horror stories about coverage, dropped calls, etc...

I decided that Sprint's speeds in my area were so poor (80Kbps on 3G - that's 0.08Mbps) that anything would be better, so I went ahead and signed up for AT&T. Been a customer since April and so far I've had a very pleasant experience. LTE speeds are really good - 15-20Mbps, and coverage in my area is very good as well. Even the "4G" HSPA+ 3G speeds are 3-5Mbps. So data speed and coverage has been night and day when compared to Sprint.

The only annoying thing that I've found is that at large gatherings like baseball games, the phone becomes a doorstop. Impossible to make calls, receive calls, send/receive texts, or do anything with data. Before the iPhone 5 was released, I was still able to use LTE pretty successfully at large events, but now that AT&T LTE has gone mainstream, it gets bogged down just like 3G when you attend an event with tens of thousand of people. I think that's probably the same for most/all carriers, though, so it's a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things.

I do pay ~$100 per month, though, so it's a substantial increase over Sprint. Still, I decided to go with the 5GB plan and I think that's overkill. Two or 3GB plan should be wayyyyy more than enough. In fact, I've installed Nokia Counters on my Lumia and I've only used 300MB of non-WiFi data over the last 20 or so days. I'm on WIFI a lot it seems.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I have access to all the ATT hotspots too. Another hidden perk of using a SIM that identifies itself as ATT. Still liking those high ATT fees?

I get a discounted rate and a subsidized phone. My budget is fine.

Straight Talk may be great for you. You can espouse it's benefits. But you don't need to be smug about it if someone chooses something else.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If you don't want a cell phone bill over your arbitrary maximum threshold of $70, don't go with AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint. Pretty simple.

I switched to AT&T from Sprint for the Lumia 900. I was paying around $80 per month for Sprint for pretty much unlimited everything, but data speeds were so poor that I was anxious to leave. I was wary of switching to AT&T, mainly because it looked very expensive and I've heard nothing but horror stories about coverage, dropped calls, etc...

I decided that Sprint's speeds in my area were so poor (80Kbps on 3G - that's 0.08Mbps) that anything would be better, so I went ahead and signed up for AT&T. Been a customer since April and so far I've had a very pleasant experience. LTE speeds are really good - 15-20Mbps, and coverage in my area is very good as well. Even the "4G" HSPA+ 3G speeds are 3-5Mbps. So data speed and coverage has been night and day when compared to Sprint.

The only annoying thing that I've found is that at large gatherings like baseball games, the phone becomes a doorstop. Impossible to make calls, receive calls, send/receive texts, or do anything with data. Before the iPhone 5 was released, I was still able to use LTE pretty successfully at large events, but now that AT&T LTE has gone mainstream, it gets bogged down just like 3G when you attend an event with tens of thousand of people. I think that's probably the same for most/all carriers, though, so it's a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things.

I do pay ~$100 per month, though, so it's a substantial increase over Sprint. Still, I decided to go with the 5GB plan and I think that's overkill. Two or 3GB plan should be wayyyyy more than enough. In fact, I've installed Nokia Counters on my Lumia and I've only used 300MB of non-WiFi data over the last 20 or so days. I'm on WIFI a lot it seems.

Why would you do that? You can pay $45 for the same ATT coverage and since you are saying yourself you don't go over 2Gb of data, Straight Talk is perfect for you. You also nailed it on the head, as these LTE markets get turned on, they 1000s of people losing money to ATT are going to flip over to that network and clog it up. It happened with the iPhone 3G and now it will happen with the iPhone5 and all the LTE capable android devices. one anecdote was when the iPhone3G came out and everyone got off EDGE, EDGE speeds went WAY up closer to their theoretical max. I am seeing the same thing happen with HSDPA+ now.

Last edited:

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I get a discounted rate and a subsidized phone. My budget is fine.

Straight Talk may be great for you. You can espouse it's benefits. But you don't need to be smug about it if someone chooses something else.

I'm not being smug, I'm trying to save you money. It is amazing to me that people don't want to save money for the same service. It is like, people just like throwing money away!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
When you call them "idiots" and follow that up with comments about how they like wasting money, you're being smug. You may have good intentions, but your delivery isn't the greatest.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not being smug, I'm trying to save you money. It is amazing to me that people don't want to save money for the same service. It is like, people just like throwing money away!

1. You are very smug about it.
2. Setting up Straight Talk has been, and continues to be, problematic.

Problems with MMS, internet sharing, 100MB data limits, no visual voicemail... no thanks. I'll keep paying my $123 a month and not have to worry about which features I have to sacrifice.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
1. You are very smug about it.

2. Setting up Straight Talk has been, and continues to be, problematic.

Problems with MMS, internet sharing, 100MB data limits, no visual voicemail... no thanks. I'll keep paying my $123 a month and not have to worry about which features I have to sacrifice.

Couldn't have said it better!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I pay about $200 for 3 smartphone lines with "unlimited" data. I also get subsidized for three new devices every two yrs.

Everything is already set up when I get a phone. No headaches. I can upgrade to LTE with my next phones. I enjoy and use the benefits of my service.

I don't think I'm spending too much money at all.

One size does not fit all. Straight Talk is probably great for many people. Not for me. And that doesn't make me any less a good consumer than you are. And it certainly doesn't qualify me as an "idiot." My situation is different.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Some people might be heavy users and cannot use MNVOs like Straight Talk. If one uses more than 2 GB of data in a month, Straight Talk is not an option. Straight Talk will dump a customer who exceeds 2 GB of data in a month--not throttle or charge more--dump.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
that is all anecdotal and not proven. There is no 2Gb limit, none prescribed in any terms....that is all hearsay and speculation. I have colleagues who have used 5Gb+ on ST with no problems.

See the problem is you all see a good deal, then go do some internet research and find one or two bad reviews and then suddenly it is "SEE I TOLD YOU SO, IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. ATT IS STILL GREAT at $90+ A MONTH!!1!"

But that's fine, continue throwing your money away to ATT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes