19th day of ownership for HTC One for Windows review.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I've read for the last two weeks on this forum learning tons about Windows Phone and I decided to write up my review on the new HTC One Windows phone.

First off I have an Apple IPhone 5S as well for my other business and upgraded from an M7 HTC Android phone to the new Windows phone. I do have a bias against Google and their business habits. I loved the HTC One M7 and thought it was the best Android phone I had ever used.

I don't have a problem whatsoever with the camera on the M8. I am a photographer, (Canon 50D, w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, plus lots of other lenses), so I am a bit amused at the attacks on the camera. For what I use a phone camera for, pictures of model numbers in low light and normal light, equipment pictures before and after a repair, etc. this camera rocks. It wouldn't take much money to out do a phone camera of any brand. I am happy with the camera.

I have what I need to run both of my businesses on this phone. I am a Microsoft desktop user running 8.1, 64 bit system at home. The nicest thing that happened was coming home with the phone having signed in with my MS ID to find out it already shook hands with my WiFi network and had the password already. I also can pull up Office anywhere to do a quick bid using Excel and with the screen size as large as it is on the new phone it's not hard for me to use it even more then I used to prefer to. It's a comfortable phone to use and it just seems to be growing on me more all the time. My new truck interfaced with it seamlessly, sharing contact list and Bluetooth worked flawlessly with it. (Silverado, Chevrolet My Link)

On to the battery. It's got the best battery life of any smartphone I've ever had. Not even close. I have a Mophie on the IPhone and it needs it. I had a battery case on the M7 also. (I still keep it in the truck at all times in case I need to WiFi it to life for a credit card swipe since the IPhone is on TMobile which can have spotty coverage at times.) I just picked up an I-Blason black case off of Amazon and the glass protection shield from Verizon. (It does have about 1/120 of an inch overlap onto the speaker but it looks like it belongs although I can see the micro air gap at the end now that I know to look for it.) No bubbles anywhere on the screen probably speaks more to the Verizon employee who took the time to get it right.

On APPs I have found most of what I needed with a few holes that need to be filled. I use Bank of America and they're there. I am wondering why they haven't made a credit card reader app yet since they took the first step. Maybe some calls to them. Other apps such as Gas Buddy are there but as some have said they seem to have a few things missing in the Windows app. (They don't store the towns you normally visit like the IOs app does making you type the city or zip code in each time you use it.)

Some of my news apps are the most pleasurable to read on a phone I've ever had. Not sure why the quantum leap unless it's just a natural occurrence of the larger screen availability.

Charging is a breeze since there is no proprietary cable for the phone. I have the micro USB cables everywhere.

Running my TV, the Dish whether at my camper or home is just another thing the phone can do when you don't see the always missing remote controls.

The biggest thing that allowed me to drop the IPhone as my primary was Cortana. I really like the voice assistant. I prefer it hands down to Siri. I am almost shocked at how well MS did with this. I presume the new IOS due out will have to address this. Just a guess.
(Watching Ram/Vikings football game at this very moment spiced with commercials comparing the mismatch between Cortana and Siri, featuring the new HTC One for Windows.)

The speakers have rocked since the M7 and the M8 is no different. Just the best sounding phone ever in my opinion.

The down side is the APPS but it isn't the game stopper it once was. I wanted off the Android ecosystem and I really couldn't have done much better at this point and time. I do have a problem with the volume knobs being activated when the phone comes alive in the belt carrying case. I have had that before.

I didn't do any research on the Icon, just because I liked the M7 build and knew it was coming out in the M8 version. The guys on this forum are also really helpful and I have high hopes on getting more apps. I feel I forgot some things here but I can answer back.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Nice review!

I'm glad you like your new M8.

I always like to see reviews from regular users, not just tech bloggers, and you've done a great job. 😊
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the review. Very well written. I too am a photographer (although I went the right way and use all Nikon gear 😁) and enjoy the debates over the cameras inside a smartphone. There is nothing wrong with the M8's camera for what it is. Anyway, I am on 13 days with this phone and glad I made the purchase.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
After re-reading my post I realized that I didn't need to be carrying the old M7 around just in case T-Mobile IPhone didn't get signal. I could just as easily WiFi it to life with the Windows phone. Amazing to me I didn't catch that at first. Oh well... One less phone to bring along...

MG..

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Excellent review. I really enjoy great posts like this one. Thanks for taking the time to provide such a thorough analysis.

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't have a problem whatsoever with the camera on the M8. I am a photographer, (Canon 50D, w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, plus lots of other lenses), so I am a bit amused at the attacks on the camera. For what I use a phone camera for, pictures of model numbers in low light and normal light, equipment pictures before and after a repair, etc. this camera rocks. It wouldn't take much money to out do a phone camera of any brand. I am happy with the camera.

I think the reason that people are attacking the camera because maybe for a person like you with a rig it may be sufficient., but a lot of people want to replace the camera they carry around with their phone, this may not be a realistic expectation but people want to do it. I don't think the HTC Ones camera is enough for that, other phones do it much much better.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Enjoyed the review also! :).

I hope HTC hurry up and release it internationally before the year is out :grin: as windows phone needs a flagship with the latest & greatest to entice the high end consumer that only cares for specs and currently only the HTC One M8 fits the bill (no other windows phone is running the 801 SOC yet).

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Wonderful review. I am overall pleased to hear about the battery life. That seems to be my next biggest focus when I get my next device. I'm looking at the Lumia 735, this phone, Note 4, or LG G3. I'm leaning towards the first three more than anything, more so than anything the note 4. But what I don't feel like doing is moving to another platform and having to restructure everything with contacts and messages and what not. That draw seems to be pulling me back to the 735 or this phone. I've always liked the design of the 720 and the 730 looks just as great with better specs. But an IR blaster sounds great right about now lol

scotiez

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Great review, I am a photographer also, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and a EOS 60D as a backup, and to much other stuff to mention. I take very few photos with my phone present and past. Id rather grab the DSLR which I usually have with me anyway.
I also had a iPhone before this one. I don't miss it. I will probably be sticking with windows phone from now on just because it works so well with my laptop and desktop. The lack of apps don't bother me as I can find out what I want without having an app for it.

Factman

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
How do you charge the M8? I have a Lumia 822. That has put me off a Nokia because the charging port failed before the end of the contract. It's a great phone, but I think I will go back to HTC when my contract is up in November. I had a TouchPro 2 previousl. I loved it, but the features of WP8 were just too tempting!

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
It has a USB charging port. Once a day(overnite) charge does it for me. Best battery since my razr maxx. FWIW, the charger connection is very snug and secure unlike alot of other phones. Time will tell how well it holds up, but with one charge per 24hours I'm not worried about it at all.

spydersilk

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I have an HTC m8 android and so badly want to switch to windows. My only concern is leaving the Google Apps ecosystem. I hate the idea of leaving android for something I have never used before, then not liking it and being stuck till upgrade time

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077