20 Things Need To Be Fixed For Next Version of Windows

Qaaf

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
20 Things Need To Be Fixed For Next Version of Windows

Microsoft has gotten much better in listening to its customers and they want user feedback. Here are some of my thoughts and suggestions about how to improve the next version of Windows. By next version of Windows I also mean Windows Phone. I might use Windows and Windows Phone interchangeably.

This is not an exhaustive list, nor it's from a tech enthusiast or a pundit. Theses are issues faced by a day-to-day user, an average Joe (Not your Joe Belfiore). 

Since this site is full of Softies (Microsoft apologists), I want to clarify one thing before the hate start pouring down.  I am not from Trollville. I have never owned an Apple or Android product (unless you consider my wife's Android phone mine). I have been an early adopter of windows 8 and have used Windows Phone since its very early days, Samsung Focus. I am personally responsible for 15-20 windows phone purchases for my family/friends. I have even purchased and shipped Windows Phones to my family members overseas. I have probably done more for the Windows Phone than AT&T (just kidding). I know slightly more than the average users, but these issues can even torment a hardcore fan, let alone a new/average users. Lastly, I think Metro (Modern) design is one of the best designs out there, but it still needs some maturing and polishing to do. 

Here is the list, not necessarily in order or importance, but probably based on daily usage.
1. Maps: Offline map was one of the main reasons I stuck with windows phone, but we deserve a better mapping experience in this day and age.   Currently, there are at least 3 versions of maps with Windows Phone (Here Drive, Here Maps and Bing Maps) that don?t really talk to each other.  All these maps need is to merge together to make one uniform user experience. Yes, I know the differences. I also understand that Here Map replaced Bing Map, but the latter still exists, which could be a cause for confusion. For example, if you click on an address from a site, you will be taken to Bing map, which is not the primary mapping App. If you use Bing map with Windows (PC version), you can?t access your favorites in Here Drive/Maps.  Here Drive is great when it comes to offline usage, but still feels half backed. It should be able to give us the route details at any moment (not just at the beginning), different route options, and arrival time in minutes (not just estimated time of arrival). There is a huge disconnect between the Here Drive and Here Maps. If I am using Here Maps, I can?t "save location". I have to open Here Drive and then add that location to my favorites. However, once a location is saved, I can?t organize it in different categories in the Drive; I have to go back to Here Maps to assort it.   Lastly, the map(s) seems to give wrong direction at times, which is point of embarrassment in front of my wife, who then uses her Android to save the day.  I feel like I need to learn 3 different Apps whereas only 1 should be enough. I get jealous and embarrassed when my wife's Google Map, gets things right the first time.  If it is difficult tomerge these maps, then there should be a way to switch between them quickly from within each App, after all they are all made by the same people.

2. Xbox Music: I didn't realize how good Zune was until I start using Xbox Music. The new App(s) is very buggy, not intuitive, slow and does not synch properly. I have used file explorer to add media to my phone, but then unable to find or play that media in my phone. The space is still taken, but I can?t find the media.  Worse yet, there are two versions of Windows Phone App, the Metro (Modern) and the desktop versions. Again, both are supposed to do the same thing, but in a very different and confusing way. Why can't we have a single working version? Lastly, using Podcast is a travesty in its own right. Unless you like and find a Podcast in the Store, you are unable to add a Podcast to your device. Maybe there is a way to add outside Podcasts, but I have been unable to find a way to copy and paste a Podcast link to the Music App. 

3. Dialer: I miss the days of Windows Mobile where I could see the contacts' names as I typed the name or the number. This function is currently available on Android (probably iPhone as well), but it still a mystery why Microsoft can't add this back to Windows phone. 

4.Lock Screen Access: Speaking of Windows Mobile, why can't we access our voicemail or reply to messages directly from lock screen like we used to with Windows Mobile. It feels like Microsoft has taken 2 steps forward and 1 backwards.

5.Email: The idea of mail App in Windows (Phone) is great, but the execution is very poor. I love the ability to link different emails and name them whatever I want. However, Mail App in Windows is very slow and unresponsive. I can't even add my work email (Exchange) to the Mail App, but it works perfectly with my Phone. Other issues with the Mail App include, inability to open web links from within email or problem with synching with different folders (Sent, Draft, Deleted folders etc.). I almost had a heart attack once when I was unable to access my Draft folder on my phone to send a very important email. I have tried every trick in the book, but to no avail. This is unacceptable. I have seriously thought about switching to third party mail Apps, but I really don't want to.

6. Email Attachments: Speaking of emails, what is up with the inability to attach documents (Word, PDF etc) or Videos from the email? Yes, I know that I can share things, but what if I want to send 10 different items? Am I supposed to send 10 different emails?

7. Kid?s corner: I have to give it to Microsoft for coming up with this great idea. However, I would like to have a different password for the Kid?s corner. If my kid wants to use my phone, I shouldn't have to open it to him every time. I can make and show him an easy password where he can unlock the Corner and do his kidsy stuff. Android, who took this idea from Windows Phone has improved on it and gives the user the ability to have a different password for its ?Kid?s Corner?, but I hope Microsoft will implement this in the future.

8. Camera Button: The camera is probably the best and most loved feature of Window Phone. Keep up the good work, but please merge the Nokia and Microsoft cameras. I see a pattern of fragmented Apps with Microsoft. Also, the camera button is very useful. I understand the need for cheaper models not to have a dedicated button, but please don't get rid of the camera button all together. It's a very quick and easy way to launch the camera. I find it annoying whenever I use my wife's phone that I have to unlock it every time to take a picture. You don't appreciate what you have until you don't have it anymore.

9. Multitasking: Speaking of Android who ?stole? the idea of multitasking (2 Apps side by side) from Windows 8, it?s still a mystery to me why Microsoft hasn?tdone this for Windows Phone yet. I understand Windows 10 have the ability to have 4 ?windows? open at once, but I hope that is also true for the mobile version.

10. Internet Explorer: Have I mentioned lack of communication and homogeneity between similar Apps? IE desktop and Metro (Modern) versions, even though the same browser, can?t be any more distinct, which is very frustrating. The two versions should complement each other, not be at each other?s throat. The setting are totally different. You can?t do much with Modern version; can?t manage ad-ons. I have to resort back to desktop version every time I have to change something and use thedesktop version mostly for this reason. There should be a way to switch between the 2 versions quickly from within each other. Yes, you can switch from Modern to desktop version, but the reverse is not true, unless I am missing something. Also, why the Modern version so slow or why does the address bar and tabs take so much space at the bottom of the screen? Lastly, why IE, especially the desktop version, keeps crashing and has to ?recover the page?; very, very, very frustrating.

11. Ad-Block: Should I say more? If third parties are not willing to make it, what is stopping Microsoft from coming up with one? I don?t like to use Chrome and to a lesser extent Firefox, but due to lack of a good Ad-blocker, I am forced to use those two browsers. Yes, I know about the Tracking Protection List (EasyList) for IE, but those ad-ons are pathetic when compared to Chrome/Firefox Ad-blockers.

12. Keep switching back to desktop mode: I would like to use the Start Screen and Modern Appsmore often than I do now, but am forced to switch back to desktop for very simple and basic tasks. For example, if I am running a Modern App, then I need to use the calculator, I have to either switch to Start Screen and type calculator, which is relatively a long process or I can switch to desktop and click on my ?favorite? programs in the task bar. In addition, why can?t they have a Time/Date in the Modern view as we have have in desktop all the time? Yes, I can swipe from the right to see the time/date, but again it shouldn?t be a multi-step process to just look at the time. I hear that these issues should be resolved with the reintroduction of Start Menu and ability to see the taskbar at all times with Windows 10. Nonetheless, it is an annoying process at the moment.

13. Cortana: We were told that Cortana was going to be the best thing since sliced bread, but I am very disappointed. It was supposed to be a ?revolutionary?, not evolutionary product, but all I can see is a slightly better version of Siri and far inferior search engine than Google Now. Yes, she has her own personality, but what am I going to do with an assistant with a personality, but no substance. Sure, she can tell you that Bill Gates is her father or that ?the past, present and future walked in a bar and it was tense? but she seems to have only a repertoire of 10 or so jokes. She keeps recycling the same material over and over, which even made my 5 year old bored. Not to mention she can only provide a list of websites most of the times after a query instead of being an helpful assistant. She couldn?t even tell me show times for movie Gone Girl the other day.

14. Price: Microsoft, please don't follow Apple's price model. You will never be able to increase market share with ridiculous prices like we had for Surface RT (which was a below average product at best). Android owes its success to flooding the market with all sorts of phones with different price ranges. Most folks are heavily invested in the Apple and Android ecosystems, but they need incentives and a good reason to forgo all that investments. Provide them dirt cheap phones like the Lumia 520/530 series. Once they see the quality and fun, they will invest and upgrade to more expensive models. Now that the smaller devices are free of licensing fees, things are hopefully changing for the better.

15.Cloud: OneDrive is great and probably the best Cloud offering out there, but it has much room to improve. It takes forever to open or save a document at times. I experienced multiple issues of not saving the most recent version of my documents.

16. App Store: Once the new universal Store opens, things might get better, but as of right now the Store experience is very irritating. It?s very slow to open, then it takes forever to find the App you need (if it exists), then the download process is another drag.

17. Find a Lost Phone: Yes, I can log in to my Windows Phone site and see the general location of my phone, but I can?t get a specific address or location. What good is the info if it only tells me that my phone was registered in XYZ Street 2 hours ago, but can?t give me an address to go pick it up.

18. Update to window 8.1: Great operating system and much more practical than Windows 8, but had nightmares about upgrading. I have had multiple machines that I had to upgrade, but the experience was horrid. It took me almost 5 hours to update Windows 8 then upgrade to 8.1 for one of devices. Why do I have to download an App from App Store for Windows 8.1? Why can?t it be like every other updates?

19. Exclusivity: Microsoft, now that you own Nokia, please, please, please get rid of exclusive deals with carriers. It's not working. They do not promote or give attention to Windows Phone as they are supposed to. The bias against Windows Phone is not even subtle. The sales people will talk people out of buying a Window Phone. Having only one plastic model of a low end phone as a display is not helping either and it won't lure people away from iPhones and Galaxies. Hire or pay some people to be present in these "partner" stores all the time to sell your products.

20. More is Good (but not always): Bring Notification Center to Windows and give us the ability to swipe from left to right in Windows Phone for favorites or most used Apps etc. Give us the ability to organize items in the Setting of the Windows Phone based on usage or alphabet.

Before you even ask or in case you were wondering:
-I understand that some of the issues will be addressed and resolved with the new Windows. I also understand the solutions for some of them already exist, but it is probably not easily accessible or way too complicated for the average user.

-Yes, I have been to Microsoft stores numerous times to resolve some of these issues. The help I got would be modest at best, nothing to write home about. I find the store employees very respectful and friendly, but more often than not, the employee searches the web to find me an answer, which I had already done before getting there. The other day, I was at the Microsoft store and a customer wanted to know about how to change the alert sounds for different Apps (Voicemail, messaging, email etc); I seemed to know more than thestore employee. Maybe they need more training or need to use their products more often.

-No, I don?t use dial up or DSL. I have cable at home and at work.

-My wife likes Windows Phone, but I couldn't convert her due lack and quality of the Apps. Yes, there are almost all major Apps in the Store, but let's be honest, the quality lags far behind iOS and Android, not to mention lots of non-major Apps are still missing. Even Microsoft has releases Apps or updates for other operating systems before Windows Phone. Justified or not, Apps are still one of the main reasons some people wouldn't switch.

-Despite all these apparent 'flaws' of the Windows, I don't see my self switching to any other system.

-My devices: Windows Mobile -> SamsungFocus -> Lumia 710 -> HTC Titan -> Lumia 900 -> Lumia 521 -> HTC 8X -> Lumia 920 -> Lumia 1520 (very briefly) ->
-> Lumia 920 (Developer preview)

​-Currently using Windows 8.1 at home and just purchased a Surface Pro 3 (still in the box)

-It?s OK to criticize or scrutinize things that are dear to us. It can only make things (and us) better and stronger.

PS: Sorry for the long list, but this has long been overdue. And can someone please forward this to someone in Microsoft or Windows team.

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
While most of these are good points, I gotta say.... Listen to voicemail above lock? Respond to messages above lock? That shouldn't even be a hidden setting! It defeats the purpose of lock if people can listen to your messages and use your phone to text people without your password!

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Personally, it seems to me you want people to fix a lot things that are not broken - they are just things you do not like. As for posting here, what is the point? Post suggestions to the respective beta programs, blogs, and Microsoft hosted forums. Yes, no one from Microsoft is lurking here to collect everyone's brilliant ideas but why are you expecting anyone to forward your stuff for you? If you can post here, I would expect you could probably manage to do it yourself in the appropriate location(s). Beyond that, some of these things are also just silly. As an example, find my phone will never know the address of the device. The service is triangulating based upon towers and last usage. To know the address, the phone would need to be recording your actual physical location at all times and relaying that to Microsoft. Do you really want that level of spying? If so, buy an Android device since that is Google's territory.

As for exclusivity deals, I wish people would apply just a bit of common sense to the discussion. The carriers in the US like exclusivity deals and, whether you or anyone else likes it, that will remain part of the game. Quite frankly, they want an edge and having a device everywhere provides no edge. If you can buy X everywhere, what is the advantage to the carrier attempting to make money on items with razor thin (to no) margins? People also seem to think that Microsoft can make every carrier carry every device. That is not how the world works - retailers make choices based upon what they think they can move. Reality also is that phones on VZW are all either designed to work on their network or reengineered to do so. Whether they can work globally is irrelevant. Parts of the underlying architecture for VZW are still based upon different technology than used by AT&T. Finally, with respect to pricing, if you want something for nothing, buy an Android device (and give away your identity in the process). Microsoft is never going to price its own hardware using the Google/Amazon model (aka product dumping). I also happen to applaud Apple and Microsoft for maintaining an ethical position on the subject. It is also the one consistent with US anti-trust laws, even if companies such as Google blow those off every day.

Honestly, I could go on but while there are some things that merit categorization of fixing in the list, it really is dominated by subjectives masquerading as issues. Seriously - OneDrive is great but needs improvement - a bit nebulous. You want the time on the start screen - perhaps download an app. You want Microsoft to make your parenting decisions easier by giving kids passwords - the entire point was to put control in your hands, not the child's. Cortana is not Google Now - A) it is an it not a she, B) it is not supposed to be Google Now, C) if you want Google Now's intrusiveness and de facto spying, buy an Android device since that is again Google's territory. As for accessing messages from the lock screen, what am I missing? I pull down the notification center from the lock screen, tap the email, text, or voicemail notification, and the associated application starts; at which point, I read, listen, respond, etc.. Now with respect to Here Drive/Here Maps/Bing Maps, yes Here Drive sucks. In fact, it is absolutely embarrassing. There is, however, a solution. You can choose to uninstall Here Drive and use different application for directions. All three of the applications you mention, BTW, share access to the same offline maps and I am pretty sure some of the other apps do as well.

Qaaf

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
While most of these are good points, I gotta say.... Listen to voicemail above lock? Respond to messages above lock? That shouldn't even be a hidden setting! It defeats the purpose of lock if people can listen to your messages and use your phone to text people without your password!

Not sure, if you used Windows Mobile, but you would still have to put your password. All it would do is to unlock that specific App (voice mail or message etc). No one else, but you will have access to your text, voicemail etc, but this is a quick way of responding or listening to your voicemail without unlocking your phone.

Qaaf

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
“Personally, it seems to me you want people to fix a lot things that are not broken - they are just things you do not like.”
I understand, it is not broken, but there is nothing wrong with trying to improve what you got. These are not only things that I “don’t like”, but there are many people who have suggested something similar. I have two words for you, Black Berry; I have two more words for you Windows Mobile. You need to keep up with the competition.

“ As for posting here, what is the point? Post suggestions to the respective beta programs, blogs, and Microsoft hosted forums. Yes, no one from Microsoft is lurking here to collect everyone's brilliant ideas….”
As you might already know, this is one the sites that is all about Windows/Microsoft. People from this site do communicate with Microsoft and they have more clout than me and you. And yes, people from Microsoft do lurk here or on similar sites to gauge people’s sentiment about their products. There is a recent Reddit AMA with Microsoft employees who said that they did visit different sites to read people’ comments.

“ … To know the address, the phone would need to be recording your actual physical location at all times and relaying that to Microsoft….”
Yes, that is in fact what is happening right now anyways. How else would you be able to use GPS or save an address? Why can't I have a specific location when I drop my phone somewhere?

“……..exclusivity deals, I wish people would apply just a bit of common sense to the discussion. The carriers in the US like exclusivity deals and, whether you or anyone else likes it, that will remain part of the game….”
How is that working for them? Insanity is repeating the same thing over and over, but expecting different results. It has not worked for WP so far; it’s time for change of plan. Do you think if Lumia 1020 or 1520 were offered by T-Mobile, no one would buy it? Or it would have impact on AT&T?

“….Microsoft is never going to price its own hardware using the Google/Amazon model (aka product dumping)….”
I never said product dumping. Unfortunately you didn’t read what I wrote, what I was trying to say that give people options. An iPhone user will probably won’t spend hundreds of dollars just to try a WP, but they will be more likely buy and ‘play around’ with one if it is a cheap phone.

“…You want the time on the start screen - perhaps download an app…”
And how do you suggest I look at that App (time) if I am already running something else? Should I exit my current App and look at the App on the Start Screen? It would be a lot easier just to swipe from right to left, but you again, missed the point.

“…You want Microsoft to make your parenting decisions easier by giving kids passwords - the entire point was to put control in your hands, not the child's…”
No, I don’t Microsoft to make my parenting decisions. It will not make any difference if my kid knows the password to Kid’s Corner because I have already controlled what goes in there. It will be similar to having a Child Account on Windows. Having two passwords just makes sense. .

“…Cortana is not Google Now - A) it is an it not a she, B) it is not supposed to be Google Now, C) if you want Google Now's intrusiveness ….”
Then it should have not been advertised as a revolutionary product. I agree that Google is intrusive and evil, but if you think that Microsoft is not looking at your personal data, then my friend you are living in LaLa land.

“ As for accessing messages from the lock screen, what am I missing? I pull down the notification center…”
The only time that you made a valid point, but what I was referring to was App specific unlocking. You don’t need to unlock the entire phone or open the notification, but your point is well taken.

“…You can choose to uninstall Here Drive and use different application for directions…”
First of all, there is no other offline mapping App that I know of. If you know, please tell me. Secondly, if there is a first party App that could be improved, why would I use some shady third party App?

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
As a developer who is moving from iOS to Android, I'd like to comment on the quality of Apps in WP store.

Apple have very strict guidelines and the SDK means that the apps written integrate with the OS better. Android is pretty relaxed compared to Apple - which is why the largest number of 'poor' apps can be found on Google Play store.

At the moment I am studying the MS SDK and guidelines and they are as strict, if not more than Apple. They certainly want to standardise between WP and Desktop and a lot will be seen in W10.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

Nevertheless it would be good to have that option. Not evryone lock their phones because of privacy of messages. It could be the photos, or just to restrict people from calling/playing games etc.

Waylon Payne

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Mail attachments for me is the biggest gripe.

This goes along with how files are handled by the OS in general.

There are not enough options for letting me choose what app should open a particular file, getting a document into Evernote is near impossible on windows phone.

Also, for the life of me, I cannot find a way to save documents to a folder of my choice in OneDrive.

These are easy things to fix.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
why in the ****, would yo want an entire screen dedicated to a clock? whats wrong with the clock in the notification center? thats duplicating features and creating redundancies, thats a very very bad design

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
1. Google maps got me lost. Here got me home.
2. It plays my music. That's all I need.
3. Agree
4. Hell no
5. No comment
6. Agree
7. Agree. Or just do away with a password completely
8. Putting back those restrictions won't attract any manufacturers.
9. Meh
10. No comment
11. Ok but far from being a deal breaker.
12. Not as annoying as you make it seem
13. Beta
14. I don't know what you're talking about.
15. Cant comments since I've never experienced those issues.
16. Gap might close with Windows 10. (for those experiencing a gap).
17. Point taken
18. No comment
19. No windows phone exclusives in my country (that's Galaxy territory) therefore can't comment.
20. Agree.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think you have some good points in here. I love the GPS on the phone, especially the offline feature. I used it exclusively when my wife and I drove through Canada last month, without data. It worked like a champ. But it would be great if you could go from address to turn-by-turn with one tap instead of several.

For number 3, that would be nice. In the meantime, try the app People Search People Search | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

For number 4, I never used WM, but I prefer a clean lock screen, and once I unlock my phone, the top of my start screen has my phone, text and email available without having to scroll.

12 - I'm not sure exactly what your issue is here. If I am in a metro app in 8.1, I will often swipe in from the right for just a second to activate the time and charms bar to check the time, when swipe back to the right to hide the screens. I also do the same thing if I'm in an app on my phone, I'll swipe down to activate the Action Center just enough to light up the time on the top of the screen, then stop to hide the bar again.

If you want to launch another app when you're already in a metro app, there are several ways to do it. You can either swipe in from the right (or WinKey + Q) and hit search, type in the name and tap to launch. Or, press the start button to drop to the start screen and find the app you're looking for (if it's an app you want to use frequently, pin to your start screen). I'm not nitpicking, I'm honestly not sure where your issue is there.

17 - I'm not seeing a problem here either. If I use the find my phone feature, it shows enough detail on the map for me to be able to figure out where my phone is. Having an approximate address would be a good feature, but chances are, if it shows an address, I'll know where that is. At least for me, it would be unlikely for my phone to straight up fall out of my pocket when I'm walking. I'd either accidentally leave it sitting on a table somewhere, or if it were to actually fall out of my pocket, it would be when I'm sitting somewhere, so I'd have at least a rough idea of where the map is showing.

18 - I think using the store to update to 8.1 was an experiment and it failed. Update 1 was released via Windows Updates. Other than that, I had no other trouble installing 8.1 update, and I updated a bunch of machines to 8.1. Five hours is a long time, but it's possible, especially if it's an older machine and/or a slow network connection.

Microsoft is updating the Update process for Windows 10, according to an article ( Windows 10’s very different way of updating | Ars Technica )on Ars Technica by Peter Bright, so I don't expect the same issues with updating to 10.1.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
They do not promote or give attention to Windows Phone as they are supposed to. The bias against Windows Phone is not even subtle. The sales people will talk people out of buying a Window Phone. Having only one plastic model of a low end phone as a display is not helping either and it won't lure people away from iPhones and Galaxies. Hire or pay some people to be present in these "partner" stores all the time to sell your products.

I just wanted to give my experience as a former AT&T retail employee. This fault lies more directly on the sales people themselves rather than the carriers. They can be just as much of Apple or Android fanboys as the general public. They are only human afterall.

I worked for AT&T leading up to, and throughout, the first year of Windows Phone 7. Employees are all assigned a smartphone and these are to be varied makes and models. These devices are rotated among the staff every few months so that the sales team has personal experience with various phone models and operating systems. In order to properly demonstrate new services and products (including new devices and operating systems), the sales staff also regularly attends training sessions.

When WP7 first launched, AT&T wanted a push for the new OS due to being named the "premier partner" for Windows Phone. Half of our staff was assigned to use a Samsung Focus, LG Quantum, or HTC Surround. I was the only one of our staff who actually wanted to use the new OS, and one of only 2 people who did not completely fight the assignment of a Windows Phone.

With that being said about how much focus AT&T puts on training its sales staff, here is an example about the attitude of the sales staff.. About 4 months after I left AT&T's employment, my mom was in the market for a new phone. I had been trying to sell her on switching from iPhone to WP. When she went into the store, she called me and I again suggested to look a Windows Phone device (I forget which models were out at the time). The sales person helping her, one of my former co-workers, made a comment indicating that she thought I was messing with my mom and couldn't seriously be suggesting Windows Phone. My mom ended up with upgrading to a newer iPhone. That is just an example of the attitude of a lot of the sales staff, which completely flies in the face of the sales and marketing strategy that AT&T presents to its sales staff. I think a lot of it is just human nature for the sales people to project what they like personally onto their customers.

The complaint that stores have "only one plastic model of a low end phone as a display" is not accurate in my experience. The merchandising of each sales floor is done on a regional level. Unless a store has very limited space, every phone that a store carries will have a live demo unit on the sales floor. The only exceptions are usually a few basic phones, alternate color options, or phones that are sold online-only. Unless you are visiting stores with very limited display space, or the regional marketing director in your area is very bad at his job, you should see all live units of Windows Phone devices displayed next to each other.

Last edited:

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
First of all to the OP, thanks for taking the time to list your thoughts. I hope somebody at Microsoft takes notice of what users have to say.

I mainly wanted to comment on your point number 15. If you are experiencing these delays while using the OneDrive built into the file explorer of Windows, try this:
  1. Open up File Explorer
  2. Right click on "One Drive" in the navigation pane on the left
  3. Select the "Make available Offline" option

If you haven't done this already, what it will do is sync all the stuff you have on OneDrive in the cloud to your local hard drive. That way, everything is actually stored locally on your hard drive and behaves like normal files do on your computer -- instantaneously.

Hope this helps.

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
19. Exclusivity: Microsoft, now that you own Nokia, please, please, please get rid of exclusive deals with carriers. It's not working. They do not promote or give attention to Windows Phone as they are supposed to. The bias against Windows Phone is not even subtle. The sales people will talk people out of buying a Window Phone. Having only one plastic model of a low end phone as a display is not helping either and it won't lure people away from iPhones and Galaxies. Hire or pay some people to be present in these "partner" stores all the time to sell your products.

Agree about the salesman part. My father went to the shop the other day and he asked about the Nokias and the salesman immediately told him that its crap and offered him an Android phone, which he eventually bought. So the bias against Windows Phone is really huge.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I have a question. The one thing I don't like about Windows 8.1 is the difference between the metro and desktop apps/programs. Going back and forth between the two (when I have several open) is a hassle. I UNDERSTAND Win10 is only a tech PREVIEW and things will change, but is the fluidness between metro and desktop addressed in the tech preview yet?

spinzeroWL

May 16, 2013
Visit site
My gripe at the moment....WHY does the email app resize photos to 904x500 pixels?! At least give us a Full HD resize (the photos look awful when I email them to my blog).
I tried using Maestro - but that app doesn't even send the email (just comes up with an error).

My other grievances;
1. Why can't we recharge the phone whilst it is off? iPhone's and Android phones can...
2. Please allow us to switch off the lights on the capacitative buttons. It is so annoying at night (and yes, I know about the Battery Saver trick - but that is just an unnecessary workaround).
3. The phonebook is screwed up on WP8/8.1. If I go to the dialler (the phone handset icon), and then go to the phonebook, all I can do is call out. I can't do any editing. I instead have to go to the 'people' hub and edit contacts there. What a backwards setup!
4. Please stop hobbling 'older' devices. The 1020 is still the flagship cameraphone on WP, yet the continuous autofocus has been blocked from this handset. That's really aggravating given that there isn't even a mention of a successor on the horizon.
5. The 'Live Lock Screen' app should be updated (heavily) or removed. As it stands, it is a real embarrassment. Also, there is nothing 'live' about it....it's just a really poor excuse for an app -- and nowhere near as powerful as the lock screens on iOS/Android.
6. No USB OTG or Bluetooth HID support. How can a Microsoft platform still not have such core productivity features?!

Basically, Microsoft can't keep on relying on us having patience. They need to start coming up with the goods.

Qaaf

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
My gripe at the moment....WHY does the email app resize photos to 904x500 pixels?! At least give us a Full HD resize (the photos look awful when I email them to my blog).
I tried using Maestro - but that app doesn't even send the email (just comes up with an error).

My other grievances;
1. Why can't we recharge the phone whilst it is off? iPhone's and Android phones can...
2. Please allow us to switch off the lights on the capacitative buttons. It is so annoying at night (and yes, I know about the Battery Saver trick - but that is just an unnecessary workaround).
3. The phonebook is screwed up on WP8/8.1. If I go to the dialler (the phone handset icon), and then go to the phonebook, all I can do is call out. I can't do any editing. I instead have to go to the 'people' hub and edit contacts there. What a backwards setup!
4. Please stop hobbling 'older' devices. The 1020 is still the flagship cameraphone on WP, yet the continuous autofocus has been blocked from this handset. That's really aggravating given that there isn't even a mention of a successor on the horizon.
5. The 'Live Lock Screen' app should be updated (heavily) or removed. As it stands, it is a real embarrassment. Also, there is nothing 'live' about it....it's just a really poor excuse for an app -- and nowhere near as powerful as the lock screens on iOS/Android.
6. No USB OTG or Bluetooth HID support. How can a Microsoft platform still not have such core productivity features?!

Basically, Microsoft can't keep on relying on us having patience. They need to start coming up with the goods.

I agree with you. I knew there were more; great points.

goodintentions

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Agree about the salesman part. My father went to the shop the other day and he asked about the Nokias and the salesman immediately told him that its crap and offered him an Android phone, which he eventually bought. So the bias against Windows Phone is really huge.
While I agree that the bias is there, I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. I'd been a wp person for a while. When my elderly parents both wanted to enter the smart phone arena, I bought them both wp's. Top of the line, too, at the time. They were the lumia 800s model.

Fast forward to 5 months ago. They asked me if they could try out android. So, I took them to the store for them to pick. My dad chose a galaxy s4 and my mom chose a note 3. They were not in the influence of any sales person. They just tried out the phones and chose them. And remember that my folks are elderly and tech illiterate. Ever since then, they have consistently told me how happy they were with their phones.

There is just something about wp that is less attractive than android.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05