3 column start screen on the 520?

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
When I updated my phone to 8.1, I immediately changed my start screen to the 3 column one. I changed it because well... MOAR TILES!

At first my phone was working fine... You know, buttery smooth and everything... But as months passed, I observed that it became slow, with the "Loading..." thing showing more frequently than ever. I'm actually starting to hate Windows Phone because of it LOL

Yesterday I changed my phone's start screen to the 2 column one. And WOAH - my phone's performance improved! It's a lot faster now, and the "Loading..." thing appears less frequently than before. It's like my phone went back to its performance when I bought it 2 years ago - buttery smooth and flawless transitions.

It's just sad though that there will be no more 3 column start screen for me.

So there, that's what happened. LOL. Just thought of sharing it. Am I the only one who has encountered such thing?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
When I updated my phone to 8.1, I immediately changed my start screen to the 3 column one. I changed it because well... MOAR TILES!

At first my phone was working fine... You know, buttery smooth and everything... But as months passed, I observed that it became slow, with the "Loading..." thing showing more frequently than ever. I'm actually starting to hate Windows Phone because of it LOL

Yesterday I changed my phone's start screen to the 2 column one. And WOAH - my phone's performance improved! It's a lot faster now, and the "Loading..." thing appears less frequently than before. It's like my phone went back to its performance when I bought it 2 years ago - buttery smooth and flawless transitions.

It's just sad though that there will be no more 3 column start screen for me.

So there, that's what happened. LOL. Just thought of sharing it. Am I the only one who has encountered such thing?

Happens on my ATIV S as well which has double the RAM of your 520 so it's not just you who encountered it. If you have Cortana you could try using the smallest tile as I've found that the Cortana tile seems to cause some of the slowdown.

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Happens on my ATIV S as well which has double the RAM of your 520 so it's not just you who encountered it. If you have Cortana you could try using the smallest tile as I've found that the Cortana tile seems to cause some of the slowdown.

Really? Woah, now I am concerned if Windows 10 will work smoothly on older devices

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Really? Woah, now I am concerned if Windows 10 will work smoothly on older devices

This isn't about 10, but more about the number of tiles onscreen at once. 10 is going to be fine. Probably won't match WP7 and WP 8.0, but it'll probably won't be bad.

Performance tends to slow down a bit the more tiles there are since the phone has to juggle more.

Smiggyy

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
OP how many live tiles did/do you have on your desktop?
These are a contributing factor to performance.
I've taken to making all but Cortana static now as she supplies me with weather info, news/sport and reminders, one stop shop!

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
OP how many live tiles did/do you have on your desktop?
These are a contributing factor to performance.
I've taken to making all but Cortana static now as she supplies me with weather info, news/sport and reminders, one stop shop!

I have 17 live tiles, and 4 live folders (all of those have a total of 32 tiles)
So... 49?

There is no Cortana on my start screen :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte