4Gb m3 vs 8Gb i5

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm torn between either the 8Gb i5 or the 4Gb M3. I'm thinking 4Gb RAM is probably enough for now, but it doesn't seem very future proof and I would like to keep it for a while. I don't really mind paying more for the i5/8Gb, but the M3 being fanless it very appealing. I hate the fan noise on my current machine.

My main usage is web surfing, casual gaming (windows store games - nothing too taxing) and streaming xbox one.

Which do you think is better to go for?
Would 4Gb be a limitation (in the medium term)?
If I got the i5, is the fan likely to spin during windows store gaming (Asphalt, Fruit Ninja etc) and xbox one streaming?

Many Thanks!

PS - Wish MS Offered an 8Gb M3 option!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I highly doubt 4 GB will be an issue if your current usage does not require more than that, which it doesn't seem to. especially since PC requirements have stayed level since Windows Vista

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm torn between either the 8Gb i5 or the 4Gb M3. I'm thinking 4Gb RAM is probably enough for now, but it doesn't seem very future proof and I would like to keep it for a while. I don't really mind paying more for the i5/8Gb, but the M3 being fanless it very appealing. I hate the fan noise on my current machine.

My main usage is web surfing, casual gaming (windows store games - nothing too taxing) and streaming xbox one.

Which do you think is better to go for?
Would 4Gb be a limitation (in the medium term)?
If I got the i5, is the fan likely to spin during windows store gaming (Asphalt, Fruit Ninja etc) and xbox one streaming?

Many Thanks!

PS - Wish MS Offered an 8Gb M3 option!

Hey so I figured I would go ahead and try some of this out for you since I have the i5 8gb model. So I downloaded both of the game and I had tried Fruit Ninja out first. I couldnt get the fan to kick in if I tried. Max brightness and all. Asphalt 8 on the other hand kicked in the fan after the tutorial and my first race. It wasnt terribly loud, but it is there. It is not a big deal for me.

Both of these were done unplugged at 100% brightness and 50% volume. I will try again plugged in if that makes any difference.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey so I figured I would go ahead and try some of this out for you since I have the i5 8gb model. So I downloaded both of the game and I had tried Fruit Ninja out first. I couldnt get the fan to kick in if I tried. Max brightness and all. Asphalt 8 on the other hand kicked in the fan after the tutorial and my first race. It wasnt terribly loud, but it is there. It is not a big deal for me.

Both of these were done unplugged at 100% brightness and 50% volume. I will try again plugged in if that makes any difference.

Thanks for testing that, great info! :)

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Start up HearthStone and cover your ears. That was such a let down for me. I was going to keep it, but in the end I sent it back. I don't need a i5 and dont want 4g of ram, so I might pick up one later when they release one with more memory or just get the Lenovo IdeaPad Miix 700...

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Start up HearthStone and cover your ears. That was such a let down for me. I was going to keep it, but in the end I sent it back. I don't need a i5 and dont want 4g of ram, so I might pick up one later when they release one with more memory or just get the Lenovo IdeaPad Miix 700...

That Miix 700 looks great on paper at least. Only obvious this missing is Windows Hello. Do you think they will release an M3 with more memory then? I don't think anything has been announced

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
That Miix 700 looks great on paper at least. Only obvious this missing is Windows Hello. Do you think they will release an M3 with more memory then? I don't think anything has been announced
Maybe if they release one with LTE, but honestly no. Seems like the purposely gimped the M3. After having had the i5 I'd actually pay i5 pricing to have a M3/M5 with i5 configuration options.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Well I consistently use at least 6.7 gig of memory, so to me it's gimped with only 4 gig.

Really whatever...have you never heard of memory compression? That 6.7 GB you "think " you "constantly" (use) is just because its there its not like a SP with 4 GB will struggle with that 6.7 at all, it will compress the unused and do just fine.

Lets be honest you rarely max out at 6.7 maybe. I know I run VMs all the time.

Only reason 8GB of ram got "popular' was it was dirt cheap. Not that it was ever "needed"

the problem is people THINK they need 8GB ..they do not.
Less than 1% of users will ever "need" 8GB

People only do it because its CHEAP normally..in Surface not so much its $500 min upgrade.

Heck my Lumia 635 runs like a boss with latest build on 512K

Last edited:

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
8GB Vaio and 32GB i5-3570K and crappy ipad air...in each case the RAM above 4GB was NOT $500 more like $55 and $90

Dude I've got no idea WTH you are talking about. Who is talking about Ipad air?
SP4 M3 to me is gimped by ram and ssd speed. Microsoft can do better.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Good for you, I said "to me" and last I checked you and I are not the same person.

I don't see how gimped comes into play perhaps choose another word besides gimped. Gimped does not describe the M3 at all.

GIMP is an offensive term for a physically handicapped or lame person. When such a person limps, they are said to be 'gimping around'. That is also considered an offensive term.

M3 is wonderful

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how gimped comes into play perhaps choose another word besides gimped. Gimped does not describe the M3 at all.

GIMP is an offensive term for a physically handicapped or lame person. When such a person limps, they are said to be 'gimping around'. That is also considered an offensive term.

M3 is wonderful

Microsoft has purposefully kept the specs of the M3 low to drive people who would like to have a fan-less design with more memory and hard drive space away. :)

Honestly what other reason could there be for not offering the M3 with more configuration options? If they offered more options for the M3 my guess is 90% + would not buy the i5 and they could charge almost the same price as an i5. Maybe I'll trade in my S3 for a M3 if I can get $200 for it.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft has purposefully kept the specs of the M3 low to drive people who would like to have a fan-less design with more memory and hard drive space away. :)

Honestly what other reason could there be for not offering the M3 with more configuration options? If they offered more options for the M3 my guess is 90% + would not buy the i5 and they could charge almost the same price as an i5. Maybe I'll trade in my S3 for a M3 if I can get $200 for it.

They kept the specs lower to offer it at $899 ($100 more than SP3i3) ..no one will buy a SP4 if the starting point is $1399 without a keyboard!..what happens Apple perfected...they offer a 16GB iphone at $599/699 yet no one in their right mind would be stuck with 16GB (used to be 8GB!) especially with the magic Harry Potter photo movement stuff that takes a picture AND a video for every picture..its strictly so that they can sell that at a lower price point. But some a are stupid and buy it..others spend the $1000 Apple wants .

Microsoft took a page out of that book with the M3 however they are not Apple and if the put the word PRO on a device they cannot make it un-PRO as the "productivity company" so they did the next best thing... experiment with fan less design and make small quantities of he M3 while promoting for the masses the i5 and rely on human "need to have the best" psychology to loosen the purse strings for the extra $500 and a fan.

Smart buyers never ever go with the crowd..the crowd is susceptible to group think (most people are stupid) not actually making a decision that is smart. M3 buyers are the smart ones.

I drive a Hyundai too...FYI and used that 100000 warranty on a new transmission at 75K..same thing. Be smart. Get what you need not what others get.

I don't spend $1000 lightly...I did for the reason I need a new laptop as mine was wearing out AND wanted to be the one to review the M3 for the world. Since someone had to, glad I did.

Just because you can afford something does not me anyone should waste money...spend on what YOU NEED, not what others say is better. They are broke. Chasing the latest Tech anything is a sure way to end up disappointed and broke. My TV after 10 years with a WEGA XBR..a SHARP 1080P at $349... great PQ. Added my Wirless Miracast and a Sony Streamer...done. No need to spend north of $1000 on anything other than your home, major appliances or a car.

Last edited:

WildKarrde

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
In my use with the SP2 I was constantly hitting the 4GB RAM wall. Sure, I could manage with it, but it was uncomfortable at times. As for my 8GB SP4, I haven't had much time to game with it yet, but I've found that the fan almost never turns on when it's unplugged. When plugged in, it turns on rather frequently, but it doesn't bother me. It's far less loud than my desktop fan. Boltman seems to think that nobody in the world needs anymore more than an SP4 m3, he is quite happy with his, but I know for my own use, while I might have gotten away with using the m3 processor, 8GB was mandatory.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DuckMcScrooge