4K Video on the Nokia 2520 :(

trywithaustin

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I was trying to watch the newly introduced 4K videos in Youtube. One of them is below

Martin Garrix - Animals (Official Video) - YouTube

But I could never get this video to play in 4K format in the Nokia 2520 tablet. However I was able to play the rest of all format including and upto 1080p. I was trying to play the 4K video in IE in metro mode. I did make sure it was not the internet trying to stop me from buffering. I have a pretty good 50Mbps internet and the buffer was quite well enough to play without a stutter. But it wasn't the case.

It makes me think, is the spec still hungry for power or is the IE not tuned yet for 4K videos.? On a side note I was able to play the 4K video without any issue on my laptop and on my TV thru th youtube app.

Any thoughts?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
You sure you were playing 4k through your TV? TV apps are usually last to get any new features.

Anyways, without a 4K screen, why not keep it at 1080p? Just asking because I haven't been able to tell the difference on a small 1080p screen...

trywithaustin

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I agree. Neither have I been able to tell the difference on my laptop. But why does it not play on my tablet, though it does on my laptop ?

TV am not 100% sure if it plays the 4K, it does says Full HD. May be its not UHD (4K)

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Neither have I been able to tell the difference on my laptop. But why does it not play on my tablet, though it does on my laptop ?

TV am not 100% sure if it plays the 4K, it does says Full HD. May be its not UHD (4K)

Probably 1080p...

It could be something RT. They probably didn't think 4K streaming was something they were going to have to worry about. I honestly have no clue though.

mkmarine

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Why would you want to play 4K video on a device that isn't able to actually display 4K? This is the equivalent of being mad at your bunny-ear CRT television for not playing a blu-ray.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Why would you want to play 4K video on a device that isn't able to actually display 4K? This is the equivalent of being mad at your bunny-ear CRT television for not playing a blu-ray.

OP already said he wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but he still wants to know why it doesn't work.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
What's the point if you can't see it in that resolution? You need a right monitor for it. It's like have a screen with 700 lines, and complaining why it can't display 1080p.

trywithaustin

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

What's the point if you can't see it in that resolution? You need a right monitor for it. It's like have a screen with 700 lines, and complaining why it can't display 1080p.

Lets assume that the content is available only in 4K, then would I still not deserve an answer as to why it doesn't play on my Nokia 2520?

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I got it to play on my 2520. At least the settings gear kept the 4K flag set.
It will "play" but it won't be fluid and smooth as other devices would see it. This strikes me as a codec issue on the 2520. It won't be a problem for me since I won't be likely to try watching 4K video on a device that is meant to work in 1080p anyway. :)

Johnnyzhang123

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
The reason you can not play the 4K video format on your Nokia 2520 tablet is that the Nokia 2520 tablet do dot support 4k video at present.

As I know, there is high demands on equipment if you want to play 4k video.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Ignoring that watching 4k video on a device that doesn't support it will actually result in poorer video quality than if you had just selected 1080p (due to the extra down sampling step), I would also guess this is due to the tablet lacking hardware decode support for 4k media.

I would recommend that you download and attempt to play a 4k test sequence (for example, from here). If that works, then it's YouTube refusing to serve your tablet video at that resolution (which would actually make sense). I suspect the test sequence won't play either though, in which case it really is the tablet.

trywithaustin

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Ignoring that watching 4k video on a device that doesn't support it will actually result in poorer video quality than if you had just selected 1080p (due to the extra down sampling step), I would also guess this is due to the tablet lacking hardware decode support for 4k media.

I would recommend that you download and attempt to play a 4k test sequence (for example, from here). If that works, then it's YouTube refusing to serve your tablet video at that resolution (which would actually make sense). I suspect the test sequence won't play either though, in which case it really is the tablet.

Thanks for the pointer. I will try tonight and report back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo