930 screen coating?

ZenBot

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick question. Does the 930 have the same oleophobic screen coating the some of the other Lumia have?

My wife got a Lumia 1020 it may have Gorilla Glass but that coating ON TOP of the glass was showing scuffs and light scratches within days. It's a deal breaker for me...I've got two phones with the same Gorilla Glass 2 and no coating that are pristine after months and months of use. Not to mention the coating makes the screen feel like plastic, rather than glass.

dengwinters

May 28, 2014
Visit site
925 - coating (not the glass) scratched on the first day of use then it only got worse
930 - 2 months had passed, no scratches so far

stephanv_uk

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
930 here, and I can see a number of faint hairline scratches after 2 weeks. They're not visible in normal use, only when you hold the phone at a very distinct angle. I've been extremely careful over the past two weeks to not put the screen against any surfaces e.g. upside down on a table, against a credit card in my pocket. The only surface it has been in contact with is my trouser pockets and fingers.

I'm not very keen on applying screen protectors or using cases, but I'm getting a bit concerned that accumulating hairline scratches over two years' use is going to result in some obvious deterioration...

ZenBot

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
That sounds like somewhat of an improvement over what my wife experienced with her 1020. We ended up getting her a really good deal on some of those Zagg Invisi-shield (or whatever) screen protectors which suck right down tight and hide the nicks and scratches.
but yeah, I'm with you, I'd really like to avoid using screen protectors after the really good experience I've had on my phones with no protection.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't like the Zagg at all.
They are great for protecting the screen and very tough for sure, however they decrease the screen brightness noticeable and also have a rubbery feel to them when scrolling with your finger, not smooth feeling like glass or the hard plastic types.

:)
Fred

That sounds like somewhat of an improvement over what my wife experienced with her 1020. We ended up getting her a really good deal on some of those Zagg Invisi-shield (or whatever) screen protectors which suck right down tight and hide the nicks and scratches.
but yeah, I'm with you, I'd really like to avoid using screen protectors after the really good experience I've had on my phones with no protection.

sup3r1or

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I would object my 930 after 2 months of use is full of scratches on screen. I tried screen protectors but because of the curved screen they would come off easily. Now the screen is full fo small tiny scratches.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I had a L920 when it came out and scratches appeared just after few weeks of use.

Then I got the Ativ-S, which I didn't put a protector on and after a years use there was no scratches on the screen. Not even though the phone was dropped multiple times.

Now I have the L1520 and I didnt want to risk it, so I'm using a protector. I bought few sets of the cheap regular ones from eBay, when applied well its pretty much invisible. I also have one of those hardened glass protectors at home, but well see will o ever put it on.

I think this coating used by Nokia is little weird since the screen scratches pretty easily. Even if its not actually the glass, the result is the same for the user.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizmizo