950xl Quick Charge not working with 3rd party equipment

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

Bought Qualcomm Quick Charge Accessories to be able to charge 950 and 950xl faster. Worked for a while on the 950 then stopped being reliable - some connection, but intermittent - then got 950xl and all the accessories are not working reliably. Kind of things I have bought: External Battery (Rav Power), Car Chargers (various manufacturers), and wall outlets (various manufacturers). Bottom line, only thing that recharges reliably is Wall Charger that came with phone.

Big problem for me, need charging while on the road - heavy user, recharging 2-3 times a day. Any thoughts?

Absent that, anyone know of anywhere I can get Lumia wall charger, on the go?

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Bought Qualcomm Quick Charge Accessories to be able to charge 950 and 950xl faster. Worked for a while on the 950 then stopped being reliable - some connection, but intermittent - then got 950xl and all the accessories are not working reliably. Kind of things I have bought: External Battery (Rav Power), Car Chargers (various manufacturers), and wall outlets (various manufacturers). Bottom line, only thing that recharges reliably is Wall Charger that came with phone.

Big problem for me, need charging while on the road - heavy user, recharging 2-3 times a day. Any thoughts?

Absent that, anyone know of anywhere I can get Lumia wall charger, on the go?

Try Ventev Dashport & Wallport. They're sold on the MS Store site, I have both and they work great. I travel for work as well.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...-C-Cable%2FproductID.330357800&token=n67OniVF

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...-C-Cable%2FproductID.330357900&token=VUJXnOv3

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Well, first of all, the 950 and 950XL don't actually use Qualcomm Quick Charge. You'll notice on their specification page that it says "USB-C Fast Charging" but not the proprietary Qualcomm Quick Charge. Qualcomm Quick Charge uses variable voltages to charge faster, but that is not what the 950/XL do. Basically, (without USB-Power Delivery that is), USB-C provides 3A at 5V. That 15W of power will charge the device faster than any USB-A based charger. If you're using a USB-A to USB-C cable, you're never going to get the full charging speeds your device is capable of.

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, first of all, the 950 and 950XL don't actually use Qualcomm Quick Charge. You'll notice on their specification page that it says "USB-C Fast Charging" but not the proprietary Qualcomm Quick Charge. Qualcomm Quick Charge uses variable voltages to charge faster, but that is not what the 950/XL do. Basically, (without USB-Power Delivery that is), USB-C provides 3A at 5V. That 15W of power will charge the device faster than any USB-A based charger. If you're using a USB-A to USB-C cable, you're never going to get the full charging speeds your device is capable of.

I don't know if that's entirely true. Maybe Microsoft just didn't pay for certification or the rights to use their trade marked name.

If you go to Qualcomm's site and see their list of compatible Quickcharge devices, the 950XL actually flashes up for a second before disappearing. I was able to grab a screenshot.

nn4htt.png

Either way, the Ventev chargers some on Microsoft's site provide Quickcharge 2.0 and support both the 950 & XL - and it charges as fast as Quickcharge advertises, 25% in under 15 minutes, 50% in about 30 minutes.

www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/devices/all?feature=Quick Charge 2.0

Last edited:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Nope, the reason the 950 and 950XL pop up in that link you provided is because it first loads the list of all Qualcomm-based devices, and then after it loads that it filters down to the Quick Charge capable ones.

Like I said, you're always going to be better off with a completely native USB-C charger at 3A / 5V. The 950 and 950XL do not use the variable voltage that is used in Quick Charge.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
The reason it isn't Qualcomm's quick charge technology is because it's only made for Micro USB ports, it uses an extra pin to talk back and forth between the device and charger. However, USB Type-C can handle more voltage than Micro USB ports, so the more amps you use, the faster the charge.

I got bored one day and found all of this information on Wikipedia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa