950XL Waiting Room

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: 950XL waiting room.

My husband and I were at a mall in the Portland, Oregon area tonight and stopped at the Microsoft kiosk. They do not have any idea when the 950XL is going to be released for sale. They did not have a prototype sample, as theirs was pulled recently but said they are waiting for the 'real thing'. I did enjoy playing with the Band 2 and hoping I can purchase one for Christmas.

Actually, at my store they also pulled the display units. I saw them when they first came in but they were sent back because of some kind of defect on the back. I dunno what exactly. The clerk was a little vague on that, but he made the point of saying that those were just "prototypes" anyway.

The Best Buy guy today in Edmonton said he was told by his Microsoft reps that Best Buy would "probably" also sell the phones.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site

stopped by ms store today for the $99 band with free screen protector and asked again since I preordered when display units were out during the few days last month, guy said they pushed it back once again and best he can tell me is "this holiday season". I don't know what that means.

Posted via BlackBerry or Mumia phone. sometimes temporary awful android.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site

These reps are as smart as a bag of hammers. As a test, I asked at 3 different stores and have received 3 different answers. Ranging from the first week of November to the day before Christmas. It's safe to say windows phone fans know more about MS products than their store employees.

Second time I went into the store knowing all there is to know about this phone a terrible rep told me "it's gonna be a nice phone, really nice battery and fast because it has octaquad" I almost threw up. How do they get hired ?

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

Second time I went into the store knowing all there is to know about this phone a terrible rep told me "it's gonna be a nice phone, really nice battery and fast because it has octaquad" I almost threw up. How do they get hired ?

I was told "you should be excited because it runs Cortana". Serious WTF moment for me. I decided to extract as much entertainment value as I could out of this palaver by stating "rumor has it that it will come with iTunes preinstalled"..... Her eyes widened, and she said "yeah, it's going to be real cool".....

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

yup im chilling in the waiting room december can not come soon enough

Hang in there Alex, we are all drawing on our inner strength! I've gone through multiple test runs with Android and iPhones.... I have a 'temporary' LG V10 right now..... I'm sure it's going back tomorrow lol.

HOTDAWG

May 13, 2013
Visit site

Anyone up for backgammon while we wait? ;)
I've got a 640 to hold me over. Can't complain much, but I hate waiting rooms.

JdeFalconr

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

I feel bad saying this but in my opinion the dots have connected to indicate that Microsoft does not feel that the 950/XL are worthy of great importance. Consider:

• Out of all the major product announcements on Oct 6 all of them had firm ship dates and very rapid preorders starting to capitalize on the hype from the conference...except for the phones.
  • Microsoft was able to actually move up the release date of Windows 10, a desktop OS. Meanwhile WP10 continues to languish in beta. Microsoft absolutely has the resources to get a major OS released quickly; they have chosen not to for their mobile OS.
  • Since Oct 6th Microsoft has been virtually silent on these phones; they have dropped off the world's radar, except for Europe where preorders are already happening, accessories are being thrown in with preorders, and Amazon France has already cut prices on the phone. Yet in the USA nothing except for inconsistent, abruptly terminated in-store-only preorders from the M$ official store, uninformed sales reps and the removal of demo units from stores.
  • Microsoft has shackled the 950/XL to a single carrier, AT&T. While mobile is supposedly a very important growth area for the company they instead choose to limit the exposure of their devices in the US market.

None of this seems to fit with the narrative that the 950 series heralds the return of Microsoft to the mobile market that they supposedly care deeply about. I cannot fathom that a company with the immense resources of Microsoft would allow the above kind of things to happen unless it isn't important enough to them to correct the situation.

Separately from the 950 series opinions my conjecture is that M$ is using the 950 series as their "test bed" for WP10 and they will double down on the rumored Surface phone. That also fits in with the rumors that the Surface phone is targeted towards Enterprise customers. Enterprise is the bread-and-butter of Microsoft and right now, arguably, the enterprise presence for phones in general is extremely weak. There absolutely is an opportunity for M$ to fill that void in a big way. Apple doesn't seem particularly concerned with truly making their phones enterprise-friendly while Android for Work is only available for a paltry handful of devices. Blackberry continues to wilt except for the entrenched few for whom a Blackberry is all they've ever known.

Last edited:

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

In Canada they have been taking preorders with $0 down for weeks now. At the time they said late Nov, but I guess now it looks more like Dec.

akaliel

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site

Probably MS Store. I was going to get the 950 XL b/c I'm up for a new phone with Rogers, but since they're not carrying it I pre-ordered a Nexus 6P. Should be a couple more days, hopefully.

Richard Toft

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

Called my carrier today ee not even aware of the 950!? no news on if they'll be offering it so... may purchase from MS.

Baron164

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

My 920 is becoming more unusable every day with all the random reboots and bs it keeps throwing at me. I reset it and I can get about a week before it starts screwing up again. My wife wants to go back to an iPhone because of the app situation and at this point I'm on the fence as to whether I should wait or go back to an iPhone. I've been using Windows since the Samsung Focus. At this point, if I do still get the 950XL, provided it's released sometime this month, if the app situation doesn't improve in the couple of years it might just be my last Windows phone.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

Just noticed the US Microsoft Store has the price listed for the 950XL ($649). Not sure if this is new or not.

ittojo

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site

In Sweden they say 3 dec if you preorder, and you get a voucher for a free dockningsstation in an Lumia app that comes with the phone.
• Buy a Lumia 950 / 950XL ( before January 31, 2016 )
• Open the app called " Lumia Offers "
• Download a promotion code
• Go to the Microsoft Store and order a DisplayPort with the promotion code ( to 28 February)
• Display Dock sent to your home address , all for free

Last edited: