A day with Skype

UnfixedPyle

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was just wondering if Skype might be killing my battery the last few days. I installed it after the last update and it didn't seem to affect anything at first. I guess I will uninstall and see what happens.

Cordanim

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I had the same experience - installed yesterday and set it up at around 2PM...by 6PM my battery was down to 30% LOL

Quick uninstall done and I'll wait for that to be fixed!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I had the same experience - installed yesterday and set it up at around 2PM...by 6PM my battery was down to 30% LOL

Quick uninstall done and I'll wait for that to be fixed!

If you like your battery, don't install Skype Beta, Nokia Drive Beta and Whatsapp. You will love how long the battery lasts and phone doesn't even get warm ;)

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Explain your usage on skype, the chart is vague at this point.

Now if you are video calling 2 hours and then texting hundreds of messages a day, i would expect this.

If you are not doing anything or much on skype and having this drain, i see the point.

Without usage information, the chart doesn't mean much.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If you like your battery, don't install Skype Beta, Nokia Drive Beta and Whatsapp. You will love how long the battery lasts and phone doesn't even get warm ;)

Yeah I can confirm at least the Skype Beta part. The thing I noticed is that faster drain doesn't always happen. But once it happens, it stays like that until you reboot. I think some of these apps that actually run stuff in background (not just periodic live tile updating) gets in a bad state once in a while. MS should fix that asap. People dont care about apps but do care about battery life.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Today for 3.5 hrs since I pulled from wall charger, I had 100+ messages on skype and my batter is at 84%.

Drive+ is installed but I haven't run it in a long time
Whatsapp is installed but I haven't chatted on it today.

I have gmail on always up to date, another imap account every 30mins, microsoft account outlook mail and a hotmail account.

Last edited:

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Skype is evil!!!

Till yesterday I was getting around 14 - 15 hours on a single charge. And a few weeks ago (before the latest Skype update) I would easily get 20+ hours even with a few accounts syncing every hour. So I uninstalled Skype and voyla, right now 8 hours since last charge but still 80% battery left.

My guess is that MS is logging basically everything for debugging reasons, and thus the app will consume much more battery than it should.

I'll wait for the final version before giving it another shot.

cashcar1979

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Skype app is poorly done. Wait until Windows Phone 9 and maybe they fully integrate like it should be. Or maybe we can petition Apple to get the outstanding Face Time app ported to Win8 :)

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Explain your usage on skype, the chart is vague at this point.

Now if you are video calling 2 hours and then texting hundreds of messages a day, i would expect this.

If you are not doing anything or much on skype and having this drain, i see the point.

Without usage information, the chart doesn't mean much.

These days were pretty much idle phone. I likely checked the battery level a couple of times in the day. Maybe a couple of messages/glance at email. Phone was not roaming outside of home so constant network coverage.

My phone is capable of no battery usage in the day (my graph on the 'Nokia Music' thread shows that), but it appears that the OS/apps have the ability to run in the background and use power... Skype uses more than some. Drive shows up an even worse bug.

I have no idea which other apps are using the batteries power as the OS provides no information, but clearly even when Skype is not running other apps are busy using the CPU.

I am bored of investigating because I think it is likely an OS bug that will get fixed down the road.

un hombre

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have no battery drain while my skype is installed on my Lumia 920. Also, keep in mind that skype is not really running in the background on Windows, but if you get lots of toast messages then maybe it would affect battery life? :/

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I have no battery drain from Skype since it doesn't work in the background or give any toast notifications for me....Id gladly trade some drain for it actually working.

Last edited:

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how to sign out of the Skype app. I have a Lumia 822. This morning I was on my W8 PC and someone tried to Skype with me. So both apps on both the PC and the Lumia start ringing away. Is there a way to?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro