A new guide: Update to TH2 or Redstone

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure side-loading won't work if the app isn't in the store.

We only need a way to write to the registry in order to get our lifeline back. I know that custom ROMs were available for all of the Samsung WP8 devices, so there must be a way to do this. But the stuff I've found at XDA so far isn't documented well enough for me to use.

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately I cannot confirm whether or not this works for us, as I will not be risking a downgrade to 8.0. However, for those that are stuck on 8.0/8.1, try this:

[Ativ S] ▒▒▒▒▒?€? | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking

interopunlocker will NOT work for us, but it may be possible to replace one of the apps (additional call settings or extra settings) with wphTweaks, an old version of RootTool, CustomPfD, etc. I cannot guarantee that this works, this is just something to try. Also, there's no need to do step 12-onward; once you get to Windows 10 you're fine forever.

EDIT:
Actually, it looks like -WOLF- made a new version of InteropUnlocker that's for the Ativ SE (not sure why he didn't post it on XDA). Instructions here if the other thread doesn't work:

http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=710553&st=60#entry47864876

Last edited:

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Hey all, I have this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3535407 I found in my drawer, in the box new. Free to a good home, since the device is long gone. Seems a shame to throw it in the trash, so I thought I would try and get some good karma by mailing it off to someone who wants/needs it. I can't see to start a new post, so feel free to pass this along. I will mail all the sheets, even though I still have the box, since the box won't fit in an envelope. I'll pop for postage, but trying to keep myself in check.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey all. Just curious if anyone plans on jumping to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update on August 9th. Per WindowsCentral, that is when it will be available to all open phones. Im guessing we will need to tweak registry to be on the Redstone build (Nokia 950 settings) to get it in insider preview, correct?

Im still on Threshold since Redstone was too finicky on my backup ATIV SE. Id be interested to hear how the Anniversary edition performs.

Thanks in advance!

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Redstone seems to be working pretty decently as of the .5 update on the ATIV SE. And the values you have here are just fine, you just need to make sure you use the phone model RM 929 in your registry values while upgrading. The update shows on RP with those values too since the build is on RP now. :)

-- W

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Hey all. Just curious if anyone plans on jumping to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update on August 9th. Per WindowsCentral, that is when it will be available to all open phones. Im guessing we will need to tweak registry to be on the Redstone build (Nokia 950 settings) to get it in insider preview, correct?

Im still on Threshold since Redstone was too finicky on my backup ATIV SE. Id be interested to hear how the Anniversary edition performs.

Thanks in advance!

I just got this update via Release Preview:
wp_ss_20160809_0002.jpg

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Looks like we're out of luck with the Preview For Developers app. It was apparently pulled from all phones not on the list to get the Anniversary Update.

Preview for Developers is still in the Windows 8 store; I just restarted from scratch the entire upgrade process on one of my other Ativ SE phones (because my Store was a mess after the latest 1607 14393.67 update), and when my phone was finished updating to 8.1, P for D was in the store!

danslb

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I?m tempted to get an Ativ SE and do the registry hack and use it in the EU.
1. Does anyone have experience in doing this and using an SE in the EU? Does SMS and 4G work for you?
2. Once the reg edit and update to Win10M are complete, is your device getting regular (production) updates such as TH2 and RS1, or do you have to keep flashing ROMs to get it up to date?

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
You can see the LTE bands that work in your area and telly them with the ones on the device. Other than that, everything else works like a charm. SMS, data, 3G. :) And once you do the registry edits and get to WM10, you are good to go. As long as the device you're spoofing keeps getting the updates. So do you. My Ativ SE is my daily driver. And I have no complaints so far. :)

-- W

danslb

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Loved the Ativ S, so much that I actually replaced the broken glass myself. My 70 year old father now has it and loves it. I have had the 1520 for about 1.5 yrs now and often think back to how nice the Ativ S was. A real shame they never released the SE worldwide. Not able to resist the temptation I just ordered one off ebay and will probably spoof it to a Lumia 930. Any better suggestions? Would it be a better idea to put it on the Icon because of radio or band issues?

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Loved the Ativ S, so much that I actually replaced the broken glass myself. My 70 year old father now has it and loves it. I have had the 1520 for about 1.5 yrs now and often think back to how nice the Ativ S was. A real shame they never released the SE worldwide. Not able to resist the temptation I just ordered one off ebay and will probably spoof it to a Lumia 930. Any better suggestions? Would it be a better idea to put it on the Icon because of radio or band issues?

The Lumia Icon has nearly identical hardware to the Ativ SE; all Qualcomm components (processor AND connectivity radios) are the same for both devices. However, they have been configured differently to support different bands. Once we get the SecureBoot exploit for mobile devices, it'd technically be possible to unlock radio bands that are available on any phone that uses the MSM8974. Whether or not the SE or Icon work for your network depends on the bands that your network uses. If you want to see a side-by-side comparison, here's the link:

Samsung ATIV SE vs Nokia Lumia 930 - Phone specs comparison

If you scroll down to the Cellular section you can see the frequencies which have been enabled, and compare those to your carrier. I know there are a few dedicated users of the SE in Russia and Poland (check out the forums on 4pda.ru and windowsmania.pl), but I haven't seen any statements about whether or not it works with all of the bands on their network. Things like MMS APN can be changed through the registry, so don't worry about MMS as long as your carrier's bands are supported. Best of luck

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
And yes, as Jeemo said. The Icon would be your better be out of these few options. Just saying. Since he has already explained it so well so far already. :) ^_^

-- W

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for that Jeemo,
What are the chances of SecureBoot becoming available and what is the story behind that?

Highly likely. The RoL team has already released the exploit for Windows RT devices, and have publicly stated that the mobile version is being worked on and that they're planning on a release soon (there was no specification of how soon). In order to implement the exploit, we need to have the ability to access an elevated CMD prompt on the device. Snickler at XDA has gotten that working, and Gustave (@gus33000 on twitter) is integrating it into Interop Tools (check twitter for progress). I'm unsure about whether or not the implementation of CMD access will work with our device, but if it does, we're all set for bypassing SecureBoot. If it doesn't, I've talked to a few people involved and they will work with me and a couple others with the device to make necessary changes.

I'm also going to comment on the physical factors between the SE and the Icon, as I currently have them right next to each other in front of me. I've gotten very used to the SE over the last year and a half, and I think it is incredibly comfortable. The SE is lighter than the Icon, and the form of the SE fits much more comfortably in my hand. The Icon looks better, and it feels like a more refined product when it is in your hand. The screen and glass quality on the Icon is superior to the SE. In terms of performance, they seem to be identical. The SE has a significantly better speaker on the back. The Icon has significantly better recording, in terms of photos, videos, and audio. Neither of them are perfect, but they're both ******* awesome. I honestly believe that my past 2 months on RS1 on the SE have been the best Win10m experience available, on any device (and yes, I've tried the 950), however I had to make various changes that go beyond the scope of this tutorial to get to that stage. As long as they support your carrier's bands, you will be happy with either device. The Icon has more publicly available research, and most user-friendly tools for tweaking are made for Lumia, not Samsung. The Icon will be the easiest route to Win10m, but you could get there on the SE if you're willing to put in the time.

danslb

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
thanks again Jeemo. I'm picking up a 930 in the mail tomorrow, that should supposedly get W10M RS1 as MS promised and no tweaks needed. The SE I plan to mess around with following your tutorial and get it up to date as well. I noticed supported bands are not the same on Icon and 930. The SE has the band setup for the US like the Icon, but I suppose the 930 has the same radio just a different config. hence spoofing the SE to Icon makes more sense, avoiding any mismatch with the radio bands.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)