A Problem with the apps on windows 10 mobile

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have a Lumia 640 XL which I upgraded to windows 10, whenever I do a factory reset, all apps are deleted (and that's normal). But the scary thing is that all system apps that are supposed to be there after a factory reset, such as the calculator, groove music, voice recorder, Outlook mail & calendar, Movies & TV, etc... are not actually there and are only shortcuts to upgrade to the latest version of the apps in order to use them. At the moment it may not be a big problem, but the scary thing is if microsoft choose at any time to do something like shutting down the windows store or stop supporting apps in the future, I'll then have a useless device, and I couldn't find a way to keep a backup of the apps (Such as keeping ".apk" files of the apps on android). So is there any way to do so? Is there a way to keep those apps on the phone or have a backup of them? Or should I get the phone back to windows phone 8.1 for long term usability of my phone. Thank you in advance for your help.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't remember where, but read an article about doing an image back up (that could be restored) of Lumias. Was pretty geeky. Not exactly what you are asking for but might be an alternative that does the job. I wish I remember where I read it but if interested you can probably find it

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately what you are asking is not possible. Whenever you restore your phone, either a clean reset or from backup, you always have to redownload all the same apps. If they are not the latest version then they sometimes won't open until you get the latest version of either the app or W10M (usually W10M).

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately what you are asking is not possible. Whenever you restore your phone, either a clean reset or from backup, you always have to redownload all the same apps. If they are not the latest version then they sometimes won't open until you get the latest version of either the app or W10M (usually W10M).
If you were responding to me, we aren't on the same page. I wasn't talking about the backup option built in to WM10. What I was talking about is a way to do an image backup like you can with a desktop. They had to "root" the phone first. That image could then be restored, returning the phone to the exact state it was at the time of the backup.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
If you were responding to me, we aren't on the same page. I wasn't talking about the backup option built in to WM10. What I was talking about is a way to do an image backup like you can with a desktop. They had to "root" the phone first. That image could then be restored, returning the phone to the exact state it was at the time of the backup.

Ah, sorry. Yes, my mistake. Typically, there are no apps that can do what you want out of the box. But, using some clever modification techniques along with Interop Tools an image can be done. There are guides for how to do it for the 950 at least on XDA Forums.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Epoch4