A question about the music player

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I was looking for ringtones in the app market when I stumbled upon a whole list of albums of scary Halloween ringtones. Each one cost 99 cents or something, and there was a little play arrow next to each tone so you could preview it. After a few seconds I had enough and exited out of marketplace but it kept playing! And then the next tone and then the next.. I had to preview another sound in marketplace just to stop it. But it didn't stop, its PAUSED and now when I use the volume, scary ringtone #5 pops up ready to resume.. Looks like I gotta shut down my phone and restart just to clear it off. Again..a stop button would be a little more logical...

To say you need a stop button is just being stuck in an old PHYSICAL media mindset and somewhat shows we as a population don't have a grasp on what our items are actually doing...

In the old world...pause meant the tape would stay out of the cassette, ready to play where as stop would remove the tap from its mechanics and allow you to remove the cassette. When we moved to CD, pause would stop the electrical eye from moving but the disc kept spinning ready to play, when stop would shut the thing down.

Now, in the MP3 on Phone age, your phone stays on, so there is absolutely no point in a stop button because you aren't wasting battery with a spinning disc or need to remove the tape from the mechanics of the player... a "stop" button would perform ZERO benefit except to calm the mind of people stuck in the past...so that is why it is not needed and not present.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I never owned an mp3 player or an iPod, and never used my phone as a music player before so I didn't know that.. But still I think the option would be nice to have, it just kinda feels sloppy to me that things are just paused and hanging there whenever you use the volume key instead of just being done with it till I decide to use it again.. Just personal preference, didn't know that's how they all are... Like anything else, I'll just have to get used to it.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
well, keep in mind that it's not just about music tracks - you can pause a podcast or audiobook and you'd WANT to pick that back up in mid-track. And again, nothing is 'hanging', it's just pointing at a spot on the track. Nothing is moving, spinning, whirring, or hanging around.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded last.fm yesterday, put my favorite artist in the radio search and like Pandora it played all stuff related..a little better than Pandora even. And the best thing..there IS a stop button! And when I used the volume button after I stopped the song, the artist, song title, unpause, forward and back buttons didn't clumsily drop down next to the volume meter. Very clean! I pinned the app to my homescreen and now I can listen to music when I want and use my phone as a phone when I want and its not all meshed together.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Can you pause last.fm from the lock screen? There are some advantages to the meshed together nature of windows phone.

But I'm glad you found an app that works for you, that's the important thing.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded last.fm yesterday, put my favorite artist in the radio search and like Pandora it played all stuff related..a little better than Pandora even. And the best thing..there IS a stop button! And when I used the volume button after I stopped the song, the artist, song title, unpause, forward and back buttons didn't clumsily drop down next to the volume meter. Very clean! I pinned the app to my homescreen and now I can listen to music when I want and use my phone as a phone when I want and its not all meshed together.

Hahaha, you know what is going to be funny? When Last.fm updates their app. They used to have a STOP button on their internet player and it was removed maybe 3 months ago and replaced by a.............PAUSE button!!! :lol:

But yes...as Coffee said...you are gaining "cleanness" but giving up usability and accessibility.

You know what is even cleaner than using a app to play your music? Using two completely different devices. Yet the answer to why you don't do that is obvious to you and us all.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Who said I didn't use a different device to listen to music? The thing that's obvious is I've never used a phone to listen to music before. But since I had to install Zune on my PC to "update" to mango, and its integrated into this phone, I figured I better make use of it. This is a forum and I asked questions and I appreciate the feedback... but it's just an os, you guys act like its the end of the world if someone dislikes or has a question about something. Geez!

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Who said I didn't use a different device to listen to music? The thing that's obvious is I've never used a phone to listen to music before. But since I had to install Zune on my PC to "update" to mango, and its integrated into this phone, I figured I better make use of it. This is a forum and I asked questions and I appreciate the feedback... but it's just an os, you guys act like its the end of the world if someone dislikes or has a question about something. Geez!

I am not talking about the OS at all, I am talking about Technology in general. We use devices to simplify our lives and make things easier...and just based on your comments you are sounding "stuck" in a "I've always done it that way" mode. Instead of trying to understand the reasoning behind the changes it seems like you are going out of your way to ignore them.

As others have pointed out many times, this isn't an OS feature...nothing has a stop button anymore because technically speaking it is a complete fallacy.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I am not talking about the OS at all, I am talking about Technology in general. We use devices to simplify our lives and make things easier...and just based on your comments you are sounding "stuck" in a "I've always done it that way" mode. Instead of trying to understand the reasoning behind the changes it seems like you are going out of your way to ignore them.

As others have pointed out many times, this isn't an OS feature...nothing has a stop button anymore because technically speaking it is a complete fallacy.
I totally see your point in why it makes things simpler and how it makes more sense to pick up where you left off rather than starting over again. And how it works for millions of people.. Like I said, I'm new to this and I'm loving alot of it. But I just find certain "features" a bit of an annoyance.. like seeing a song I was listening to 10 hours ago still popping up whenever I use the volume key (which I use alot to mute and unmute my phone). This has nothing to do with technology, just personal preference. To me, it feels like the phone isn't smart enough to know I haven't used the music player for 10 hours. But as you said, it's supposed to be that way for convenience. I just have to get used to it...and I have many more questions

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I totally see your point in why it makes things simpler and how it makes more sense to pick up where you left off rather than starting over again. And how it works for millions of people.. Like I said, I'm new to this and I'm loving alot of it. But I just find certain "features" a bit of an annoyance.. like seeing a song I was listening to 10 hours ago still popping up whenever I use the volume key (which I use alot to mute and unmute my phone). This has nothing to do with technology, just personal preference. To me, it feels like the phone isn't smart enough to know I haven't used the music player for 10 hours. But as you said, it's supposed to be that way for convenience. I just have to get used to it...and I have many more questions

ur still on this ese? get over it.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Odd that the controls for the music play drop down anytime you press the volume button. I agree with others that stop is not needed, but the music controls should not show up every time I press the volume buttons. May erk me a bit also. Seems like something that does not need to be there. Do people need to have access to their music that fast? Like if I push pause on my song, then go and do other things, make calls, check flights on the net, ok done, now wheres my music, where, where, where? What I have to actually go back into the music app to start playing music again? Come on, why cant it just be there when I press the volume button? That's a bit silly to me. I agree with jdd. If I just pause and then lock my phone I would understand the music controls staying on the volume drop down. But if I pause then do other things, it should automatically "stop" and not be there anymore. Have to go back to the music player and pick up the song where it was paused.

Whats really odd is that you were listening to a sample clip on a web site and when you left the site, the clip was still on your phone. How does that work?

Last edited:

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
ur still on this ese? get over it.

theman, seriously. Let people ask questions. What's the big deal? jd had a legitimate question to ask. Curtieson was at least courteous in his responses (albeit, a little condescending). Help make this a community where people enjoy talking, asking, sharing.

You popping into every forum and expressing your annoyance that someone has a question or comment is going to drive people away.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Haha, the OP's comment reminded me off my mom, who complained about the keyboard sound. She said it sounded like tapping on a hollow shell and hated it. I actually like the sound. But that's the type of feedback you get when you have different people using your product. And the OP's complaint is completely valid.

I love the music controls popping down when I hit the volume controls. I listen to a lot of music and often need to pause a track. Having the controls pop up is super useful, even if the track in the controls is from hours previous. Not only does it eliminate at least four steps in getting to the music I was listening to, but it just makes sense to me as most of the times I've used the volume control on a smartphone it was to control music.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If you reboot your phone. The music is stopped. If you press up or down on the volume rocker, nothing will display where the music info is normally at. Your welcome.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
If you reboot your phone. The music is stopped. If you press up or down on the volume rocker, nothing will display where the music info is normally at. Your welcome.

I figured that one out when I first started using the music player. When the music controls were still popping up a day later, l actually thought there was something wrong with the phone! lol. Now it's just second nature to reboot when I'm finished with the music player.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Odd that the controls for the music play drop down anytime you press the volume button. I agree with others that stop is not needed, but the music controls should not show up every time I press the volume buttons. May erk me a bit also. Seems like something that does not need to be there. Do people need to have access to their music that fast? Like if I push pause on my song, then go and do other things, make calls, check flights on the net, ok done, now wheres my music, where, where, where? What I have to actually go back into the music app to start playing music again? Come on, why cant it just be there when I press the volume button? That's a bit silly to me. I agree with jdd. If I just pause and then lock my phone I would understand the music controls staying on the volume drop down. But if I pause then do other things, it should automatically "stop" and not be there anymore. Have to go back to the music player and pick up the song where it was paused.

Whats really odd is that you were listening to a sample clip on a web site and when you left the site, the clip was still on your phone. How does that work?

The clip wasn't from a web site per se, it was fom a generated list of ringtones in Marketplace search.. on the screen where you try or buy something. I don't know why, but Zune recognized it as a downloaded song or something because the entire " scary Halloween ringtones album" showed up in Zune's history, along with videos and synced albums. I guess, in a way, that could've been a cool glitch where I got them all for free... but unfortunately they were so freaking stupid!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb