A question about the music player

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Sweet, hope it passes. I know I will use it every time I stop listening to music. When I do its usually for a long time till I play another song. This week I have listened to my music on my iPhone 1 time. That was only for a few minutes also. Now in MS thinking those controls would stay available till I power down the phone????

Reason it failed is weird. Even in MS OS implementation the app switcher does not ask if you want to open the new app which would stop the last app in your app switcher. But for some reason 3rd party apps need to ask permission to stop something?

Awesome and quick response to the community Boodev. I will be looking up some of your apps when I finally get a WP.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, the application was rejected by Microsoft last night.

Fortunately, the reason it failed is one which can be fixed. The application needs to ask the users permission to stop the music and clear the playlist. Now when the application is first launched, it asks for permission and then inside the application there is a permission toggle switch. Its a little pointless (Since why would you even open or install the app if you didn't want it to stop your music) but it hopefully fulfils Microsofts criteria regarding stopping the Zune music queue.

As a little treat (or tease), I will upload a video of the application in action a little later today. If it fails certification again however, I will just release it for people to sideload (which would be a shame...).

Thanks boodev..I can't believe all the hurdles Microsoft makes you jump through in order to develop something for their OS. It looks like the limitations they set for their phone users encompasses the creative ideas of developers as well. Its not like this is something that will change the wp7 interface, I'd hate to see what kind of constraints would be set on you [developers] for deeper customizable ideas that you come up with. Now I'm surprised that devs would wanna go the extra steps to develop something for this platform at all..but I'm glad your doing this!! And if it passes, I'll use the music player much more than I do now.. Definitely be searching for other things you develop as well.

Last edited:

Boodev

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Developers are leaping all over this platform as a development platform as its a joy to develop on. The tools are fantastic, especially when you compare them to Android.

As for the reason it failed, I had a funny feeling when I submitted it that it might fail for the reason it did. Basically, when an application opens and music is playing and the application pauses/stops the music (such as a game), it is expected to start playing the music again when the application exits. This makes complete sense as I would be pretty annoyed if an app/game stopped playing my music I was listening to and didn't restart it when I was done in this app.

The problem is when an applications purpose doesn't fit in with that rule. As per this application. So Microsoft have asked me to implement a setting which grants the application the permission to stop your music, it has to be opt in by the user, rather than application forcing it.

I suppose its all the rules are in the best interest of the consumer, however sometimes it does just get in the way.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
My apologies to Microsoft, as I didn't know that. My ignorance really shows as I know nothing about developing apps and all the stuff surrounding the process. It was my perception of things, I know now- not the facts. Actually I'd really like to become a dev I always have I alot of ideas just don't have the slightest clue of where to even start..

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Well if you have ideas that can be created on WP you will need someone who thinks your idea is worth time. Then hopefully that person can write the coding needed to make the app work. Then you will also need someone who can create all the art needed for that application as well.

Expression Blend for Windows Phone
Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone
Windows Phone emulator
XNA Game Studio 4.0
Silverlight
.NET Framework 4
Those are the coding programs listed on windows site. You will need to learn how to use them and what they do. Then you will need programs like illustrator and photoshop to create the art for the app.
Developing a Windows Phone Application from Start to Finish

For beginners
http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Windows-Phone-7-Development-for-Absolute-Beginners

Last edited:

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link power5, I didn't know where to start. Instead of posting alot of questions about things.. I want to just make those things.

Boodev

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Jumping back on topic, I got around to recording a video of Stop the Music! in action, just as I promised. Hopefully it does what you were expecting!

Still not been certified yet, but heres to hoping it will shortly.

Until then...
Stop the Music! - YouTube

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Looks perfect man. I would just add that maybe put the title "Stop the Music" in the tile. Its just a square right now with no explanation of what the app is.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
You're still missing the point. The complaint is that some of us don't want the drop down controls and would like a way to get rid of it. It doesn't affect me all that much, BECAUSE I use my Zune HD for my media. Therefore, if I listen to a song in the Marketplace on my Trophy, to see whether or not I want to purchase it for my Zune, I don't want to see the drop down controls once I'm done looking for a song.

I find it hard to accept that it would take any more time for testing this feature. As far as Mango being released early, ....4 whole days?? And it is a disappointing update. You do realize Mango was mainly for devs, right? Very few of the 500+ features are consumer-related.

I think you are missing the point...1) Why have two devices that do the same thing? You don't ever see anyone carrying two car keys...do you? and 2) The 4 days was 1 feature...1 feature...when there are admittedly still hundreds to go. I was saying even if this was on their radar, it is not high up and was not worth a delay in this major update.

And no, I did not realize Mango was for Devs only as I am quite happy with the 5 consumer features (namely the Fast Task Switching and new Maps Directions; personally)that I couldn't even notice?

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but the "Mango-was-for-developers-only (or -mostly)" story is nonsense: Here's an engadget review that lists only a hundred or so of the consumer improvements in 7.5, including a few video illustrations of a number of these. The list does not include the many app-specific consumer improvements enabled by the for-developers Mango developments.

Windows Phone 7.5 Mango in-depth preview (video) -- Engadget

Last edited:

Boodev

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Well would you look at that...one certified Stop the Music! application.

It *JUST* this second got certified. Here is the link but it may not be active in your region yet. Give it 12 hours though and you should be able to download it.

Enjoy!

http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=0899997d-c25a-4075-9b28-685308e1568b

I've made a post in the App Spotlight section (http://forums.windowscentral.com/applications-spotlight/182683.htm), please post any feedback there and please leave a review on the Windows Phone Marketplace.

Last edited:

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Well would you look at that...one certified Stop the Music! application.

It *JUST* this second got certified. Here is the link but it may not be active in your region yet. Give it 12 hours though and you should be able to download it.

Enjoy!

http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=0899997d-c25a-4075-9b28-685308e1568b

I'll be making a post in the App Spotlight section, please post any feedback there and please leave a review on the Windows Phone Marketplace.

its so cool to actually see this app! Like you said, its not available in my region yet..Cant wait to download it!

Ok just downloaded it tonight..it works perfectly! I pinned the music &videos tile back on the home screen and next to it is stop the music. I can't beleive how fast you responded and made this app..thanks again..

Last edited:

Boodev

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
You definitely have an interesting view on what you want to be able to do with your Windows Phone. If you have any more thoughts/app ideas/issues, just drop me a PM and I'll see if its something I can knock together for you.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
You definitely have an interesting view on what you want to be able to do with your Windows Phone. If you have any more thoughts/app ideas/issues, just drop me a PM and I'll see if its something I can knock together for you.

ok.. I got some ideas, thanks.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
This was one feature I do not think was very "interesting". Your app is in line with what is logical in my mind. Just think if other things in the OS never went away. A simple setting for keeping song controls in the volume panel should be easy for MS to implement.

Awesome to see how fast a Dev picked up a user request though. Something that most likely would never happen with an iOS dev.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss