Accidently learned a new feature and I'm a WP vet.

danj210

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I accidentally stumbled across a feature I never figured out for some reason like stated in the title. I've had wp7 since Nov 2010, about when it came out, and only recently upgraded from the 900 to the 920. I don't know if this feature is on both wp7 & wp8 or just wp8.

But the feature I found is when I'm playing music. I'll go through my tracks, tap and hold to bring up the options, I tap "add to now playing," and essentially create a playlist... I just didn't realize that when you're viewing the album in the "now playing" section, you can click on the song names below which will basically open up the now playing list you created with the option to save and name it.

When I had wp7 I created playlists in Zune and then I synced them as that was the only way I knew. So I don't know if this is an obvious feature to figure out but like I've said, I'm a long time user and I use the **** out of my WP, this us the first time I've come across this.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
A feature that took a year for me to get pointed towards was tapping on the artist / album title on the now playing screen to bring up the artist. Never even tried it, and it's great if you're on shuffle and want to switch to a particular album.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Generally speaking still after like about half a year of using WP (WP7 for a few months before I got 920), I still keep finding new features accidently every now and then :D

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Can you show me specifically how to do this because I want specific songs in a playlist and I have not for the life of me been able to figure this out....

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Go to Now playing, touch the "..." in the bottom right to expand a menu. "Save as playlist" is an option under there.
but if I save it as a playlist then it saves the whole album. I only want specific songs. I don't understand why Microsoft didn't add this when they implemented the desktop software because that's normally where I made my playlists.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
but if I save it as a playlist then it saves the whole album. I only want specific songs.

1) Start with nothing in your playlist. I use the app "Stop The Music" to reset.

2) Open Music app and go Artist, Album or Song to select the first song for your playlist.

3) This is the important part: do not tap the song. Hold on the song title to bring up the menu and select "add to now playing list".

4) Hit the back arrow, find another song to add and do not tap the song. Hold on the song title to bring up the menu and select "add to now playing list".

5) Repeat until you have completed your list.

6) Go to the player screen and press "..." Select "save as playlist" and name the playlist.

This is the only way I have been able to create a playlist of singles from the player. I hope Microsoft improves this feature soon.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Good thread to let others know. I have known about this since WP7 which is part of the reason I don't understand the complaints about creating playlists (either single songs, full albums, full artist discography, etc). Seems so simple to me.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
After you have created a playlist you can do more with it using Windows Explorer.
Connect the phone via USB to the PC.

With windows explorer open the music, playlist folder.

Right click the playlist file, select properties, resources tab.

You can now, add to the playlist from songs on your phone using drag and drop into the resources tab window.

From the recources tab window you can also delete songs from the playlist and set the play order.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I accidentally stumbled across a feature I never figured out for some reason like stated in the title. I've had wp7 since Nov 2010, about when it came out, and only recently upgraded from the 900 to the 920. I don't know if this feature is on both wp7 & wp8 or just wp8.

But the feature I found is when I'm playing music. I'll go through my tracks, tap and hold to bring up the options, I tap "add to now playing," and essentially create a playlist... I just didn't realize that when you're viewing the album in the "now playing" section, you can click on the song names below which will basically open up the now playing list you created with the option to save and name it.

When I had wp7 I created playlists in Zune and then I synced them as that was the only way I knew. So I don't know if this is an obvious feature to figure out but like I've said, I'm a long time user and I use the **** out of my WP, this us the first time I've come across this.

They say your relationships are going last longer and healthier the more you keep discovering about your partner even after years of loving ;)

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Another one stop way to create a playlist....of specific songs...
Note: different people collect music differently , so different methods work better than others...ie I collect one or two songs from many albums while others might collect the whole album. So it's better for me to search thru Songs or Genre when creating a Playlist. The album collector obviously would find an 'Album' search more efficient in creatting their Playlist.That said...

Clear the 'Now Playing' via 'Stop The Music', Snooze It! or whatever...
Go to either Artists, Albums, Songs or Genre (whichever you think is easier/more likely to have your wanted songs grouped for selection). For instance if you have a lot of one hit wonders to put in a playlist, go to 'Songs'. If you have a lot of same Genre type songs from different artists, go to 'Genre'. If you only want songs from one artist, go to 'Artist'.

In your selected choice (Artist/Albums/Songs/Genre)...

If you choose Artist route, select your artist....(the artist's albums are listed first by default, but instead, left swipe to the artist's 'Songs' to show all the artist's songs. Now in bottom menu choose the left 'select' button. Boxes will appear next to each song. Select/check the song(s) you want to add to your Playlist. Press '...' to see hidden popup menu that shows 'add to now playing' list. Back arrow out of that artist and go to next artist to repeat process. When finished go to 'Now Playing', hit '...' and 'Save as Playlist'

If you choose Albums route, select your album....then in bottom menu choose the left 'select' button. Boxes will appear next to each song in that album. Select/check the songs you want to add to your Playlist. Press '...' to see the popup hidden menu that shows 'add to now playing'. Back arrow out of that album and go to you next album, repeat process. When finished go to 'Now Playing', hit '...' and 'Save as Playlist'.

If you choose the Song route...in the bottom menu choose the left 'select' button. Boxes will apear next to each song. Select/check your songs to add to your playlist. Press '...' to see hidden popup menu that shows 'add to now playing'. When finished go to 'Now Playing', hit '....' and 'Save as Playlist'.

If you choose the Genre route, select your genre...then in bottom menu choose left 'select' button. Boxes will appear next to each song in that genre. Select/check the songs you want to add to your Playlist. Press '...' to see hidden popup menu that shows 'add to now playing' list. Back arrow out to another genre (if desired), repeat process. When finished go to 'Now Playing', hit '...' and 'Save as Playlist.

So there's 4 routes to selecting your individual playlist songs by the method that serves you best according to your collection. Myself I find 'Artists or 'Genre' to be the easiest/fastest since most of my 'Albums' only have one or two songs, but your mileage will/may vary. But the bottom line is that the check box selection is the quickest method to add multiple songs when creating a playlist. At least in my experience anyway.

Tips and tricks...
- when playing a playlist you can (in Now Playing) select 'heart', 'shuffle' or 'repeat' the songs in the playlist.
- if you make several playlists, each of a few different artists songs...then in Music|Playlists you can long hold a playlist from selected artists that you want to hear to add to a new playlist...thus creating a mix for that mood/occasion. And Playlists are always deletable thru a long hold process.
- if you want your songs within a playlist in a certain order, that must be done thru a connection to your computer (eg USB) when in File Explorer you can find the 'Playlist' folder of choice....My Computer|Windows Phone|Phone|Music|Playlist. Right-click your playlist of choice, then select 'Properties', then 'References'. You will now see a list of your songs within that playlist. Individual songs and be added or deleted or re-ordered. ('adding' is done by dragging and dropping from 'Music' to that 'reference' song list.)

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
1) start with nothing in your playlist. I use the app "stop the music" to reset.

2) open music app and go artist, album or song to select the first song for your playlist.

3) this is the important part: do not tap the song. hold on the song title to bring up the menu and select "add to now playing list".

4) hit the back arrow, find another song to add and do not tap the song. hold on the song title to bring up the menu and select "add to now playing list".

5) repeat until you have completed your list.

6) go to the player screen and press "..." select "save as playlist" and name the playlist.

This is the only way i have been able to create a playlist of singles from the player. I hope microsoft improves this feature soon.
i did it finally thanks i think i love you!!

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Or just go to Songs, Albums, whatever select the "..." click on select, select the songs you want. Then add to now playing.

However, I think the need for stop the music is ridiculous. Microsoft needs to get on the ball.

EDIT: Kavu2, sorry I didn't see that you already suggested this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire