Acer switch 12 alpha

canadoc

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Anybody try and compare this?
I am in the process. My experiences so far:

My observations compared to 2 surface pros I have in my house that I ordered and might be returning are:

The screen side by side compared to the sp4 is much brighter. I can use it at 25% versus like 50% on sp4 for what looks like equal brightness.
I wonder if this is why battery tests say it gives much less than the sp4. Maybe they are using tests where brightness are not adjusted. That said the brightness of the sp4 can go lower.

Also the first sp4 had horrible light bleed in bottom corner and overall the color of screen had reddish tint I had to adjust with color calibration. It was the m3 model. Decided to return and order the higher spec 8 model once I was returning.
That one came in today and I noticed this one has better screen for bleed just tiny amount at a few spots only seen on boot up and one area a few inches up from the bottom also only seen at boot up when screen is at brightest. It is acceptable but disappointing given how much more this costs over the sp4.

The only thing with the screen is temperature wise is on the blue or cool side. Not sure how or if that can be adjusted it if one just calibrates individual colors.

I do miss windows hello on the Acer. Sp4 keyboard is also better but Acer is not bad and track pad seems to work well.

Would like to hear more about the pen as I can get one for 35$ if it works OK. I am not an artist just want it more for note taking and maybe the odd sketch.

I think the Acer kickstand is a bit more comfortable on the lap due to the rubber bottom.

The elephant in the room is battery life. Too early to tell and that might be its only downfall. It is rated at 37 w/h vs 39 for sp4 so not sure why battery shouldn't be close. There are no fans and screen is a bit smaller and less dense. All I can think of is the brighter screen and maybe it runs a bit hotter .

Overall this tablet is just over half the price of the sp4 but with some compromise. Keyboard and pen not as good. Screen smaller and lower res but is brighter. No windows hello.
Battery life about 20% reported less. USB type c not for charging which would have been great as then could use power bank to add juice on the go. And of course it is heavier

On the plus is no fans for a strong performer. Very bright screen with good build and to me a more comfy stand mechanism.
Also did I mention the price? I can bank the money I save and almost get another one or save it for the next gen 2 in 1 which will likely be better.

I now have a few days to decide which unit I like better and will return the other. If I keep the Acer I recommend the Costco extended warranty. Here in Canada it is only 100$ (76 us $) it extends for 3 years and includes damage coverage

jkarwow

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
I did take a close look at both. Ultimately ended up with the SP4, i5, 4/128. Faster SSD, alloy build versus plastic all came into play as well as the longer term prospect for support. What really sealed the deal for me was $849 including type cover at Costco.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

jkarwow

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Completely agree. The 4gB of ram was fine for my uses and the bulk of my storage is in the cloud.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

canadoc

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Am conflicted. Bought the m3 and might have kept it if not for bad light bleed in the right lower area. Decided once i was returning everywhere states that 8gb of ram is the sweet spot. Unfortunately it also means upgrading the storage and processor.
Got a bit expensive. Figured the Acer was nice compromise. For price of an m3 get i5 with double ram and storage.

Battery testing so far seems to show that for video watching sp4 was nearly 40% better. Not sure if I can tweak the Acer to be more energy efficient. not sure why it burns through so much more battery.
Keyboard is better as is the pen on sp4.
Suspect that the resale value will be higher on sp4 too. So leaning that way

canadoc

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Returned the switch alpha.
Battery and keyboard didn't do it for me and a bit heavy as a portable.

Trying Samsung tab pro now as my computing breeders are not too big.
Screen is amazing and battery Seems top notch.
Keyboard was perfectly fine and like dedicated function keys.
Will likely buy the pen for notes and annotating. I bought the Samsung at Costco and it included the adapter that has USB ports and HDMI

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124