Add the possibility to restart or shut down PC without updating OS.

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hello, Microsoft Community!

I'm a typical user of Windows 10 Home. To be honest, I've not read much license agreement of using OS. But I've found 6th point about automatic updating the system. And I want to suggest (I don't find the forum like uservoice e.g. where I can suggest my ideas) the following ideas:

1)Could the company please notify user at least 2-3 days before updating? It can be very unexpected and it can appear at inconvenient time.

2)And one more question/proposal. There can be a situation when I want to restart or shut down my pc without updating. But I can't do it. I have only 2 options: "Update and restart" and "Update and shut down". Okay, I can understand it, but why I can't really put off updating OS for the next time? I mean that it's okay, if it is very major update - let's update. But I really can't understand why there is no option to put off update if there is minor update. You know, updating takes some time, but there can be the situation where my pc wants to update, but I need immediately restart my pc and so on.

I'm sorry if there are already many topics about it and I just duplicated it, but I really wanted to raise this hot topic cause I talk with my friends, with colleagues and we don't like it. Maybe this option exists in more professional versions of Windows but it can be the great deal to add it also for Home version.

Thanks a lot, stay healthy.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Central.

Unfortunately, you'll need to tell Microsoft via Windows Feedback Hub, since that is the official contact point. Windows Central is a fan - based site with no official ties to Microsoft or any of its products.

Last edited:

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
Hello, Microsoft Community!

I'm a typical user of Windows 10 Home. To be honest, I've not read much license agreement of using OS. But I've found 6th point about automatic updating the system. And I want to suggest (I don't find the forum like uservoice e.g. where I can suggest my ideas) the following ideas:

1)Could the company please notify user at least 2-3 days before updating? It can be very unexpected and it can appear at inconvenient time.

2)And one more question/proposal. There can be a situation when I want to restart or shut down my pc without updating. But I can't do it. I have only 2 options: "Update and restart" and "Update and shut down". Okay, I can understand it, but why I can't really put off updating OS for the next time? I mean that it's okay, if it is very major update - let's update. But I really can't understand why there is no option to put off update if there is minor update. You know, updating takes some time, but there can be the situation where my pc wants to update, but I need immediately restart my pc and so on.

I'm sorry if there are already many topics about it and I just duplicated it, but I really wanted to raise this hot topic cause I talk with my friends, with colleagues and we don't like it. Maybe this option exists in more professional versions of Windows but it can be the great deal to add it also for Home version.

Thanks a lot, stay healthy.

1. microsoft has patch tuesday which is normally the second tuesday of every month. sometimes fourth too. that is way more than 3 days warning. the only time microsoft may go off schedule is if there is something critical that cannot wait.

2. you can delay updates up to 35 days in the settings and depending on the version up to a year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss